DSvideo / Video Station wishlist

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
wrarmstrong
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DSvideo / Video Station wishlist

Postby wrarmstrong » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:05 pm

All of the video files in my library are created with two audio streams, the default stream is stereo, and the secondary stream is AC3 5.1. I did this because it maximizes compatibility with my various devices and video players.

It would be great if DS Video could be configured to automatically choose the best audio stream given the capabilities of the hardware it is running on. Currently I have to manually select the audio stream every time I play a new movie on my home theatre. It is not the end of the world, but it is still a pain.

Kodi has this capability, so clearly there are others who see this as a useful feature.
dimensionone
Trainee
Trainee

Postby dimensionone » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Please, add video trailers link to the DS Video.
ussalaska732
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ussalaska732 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Please. I beg let us write metadata agents. A please explanation of your system and I am sure a few of us would add some great functionalities to vidostation
gogogadget
Trainee
Trainee

Postby gogogadget » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:24 am

Hi, how can video station be forced to read the MP4 embedded metadata?
I lost all my metadata added to home videos in video station after a disk crashed.
After restoring backup, metadata are no there any longer but, the MP4 files still include them (visible from vlc)
bwwill
I'm New!
I'm New!

DSvideo / Video Station: Sort Titles Correctly

Postby bwwill » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:28 pm

It would be nice if something was done so that movies with title that start with "The" are sorted correctly. The proper sort is to ignore the "The" portion of the title. One way you might implement this is to add another field to the database: Sort Title. Here modifications to the title can be made so that the title is sorted correctly. That is the way iTunes is able to sort titles correctly.
Privateofcourse
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Privateofcourse » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:01 pm

For Video Station what I would like to see is a 'Box Set' feature to group films. So in the browse by categories (all, just added, etc) there should be a ' box sets' entry as well I would like to be able to select all the films that I want included in a particular 'box set' and name the box set accordingly without altering/affecting any of the metadata.

So, for example, I could select El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico and add them to a box set which I could name Mariachi Trilogy.

Also, for Video Station, I would like to see a separate folder for TV show extras that appears at the end of the series, so 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Extras and the naming convention changed so that files named something like tv_show_name.SE.extra_name.mpg are recognised as extras and organised automatically in the Extras group.
Beatonator
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Beatonator » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:46 pm

It would be amazing to have a proper DS Video app available on the Xbox One.

The app is brilliant to use on my various Android devices, but sadly when it comes to my Xbox (which is my main streaming device) I have to settle for the Microsoft "Media Player" app. This works, but it isn't as smooth as DS Video and has limited functionality.

Please could you look at porting the DS Video app to Xbox One?
Slick007
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Slick007 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:16 am

id like them change back whatever it was they changed after DSM 6.1 re indexing. Since 6.1, when i drop a new file into any of the folders, video station is so slow at updating. It never used to be.
Slick007
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Slick007 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:20 am

Privateofcourse wrote:
So, for example, I could select El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico and add them to a box set which I could name Mariachi Trilogy.

isnt that just a playlist? I did the same with all of my James Bond.
Bloostix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Bloostix » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Feature to download directly from Video Station.

I can't believe this is not possible in the current state. i get, that there is download station and file station, but come on guys, when we browse videos we are in the videostation and sometimes you don't want to stream or it is not possible (e.g. preparing for train or plane), but then you have to switch just for downloading, that is really really inconvenient. So can you guys please add a download functionality to videostation? i don't want to browse filestation, where i neither have IMDB critics or Film Cover, so for chosing a film video station is the obvious first choice!!

Thanks for implementing this!

So Long
glottis512
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby glottis512 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 am

no transcoding hevc / h265 with chromecast ultra
dpetr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby dpetr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:25 pm

It would be great if the user could preselect what online database would be used when Video Station encounters a new file to be added to its own database. Movies tend to be spot on. However, some TV Shows out there just are not returning the correct data that's required. Often, Episode titles are missing, posters are missing and so on. These have to be manually corrected, which is OK for just the occasional new show, but when starting from scratch, it's a time consuming and mouse intensive job. Third party software like Kodi seems to get the job done because its online metadata provider for TV Shows is constantly being updated. A show which originally aired yesterday is generally out there but because Video Station apparently uses the first choice it finds for some reason and that choice isn't always the best one, the user needs to correct whatever is wrong. So, if the user could give Video Station a little help, through some sort of online metadata select dialog, that would be quite useful.
xefke
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby xefke » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:53 pm

The following things would make me very happy: (for the Android TV version of the app on Sony TVs)
- A playlist that automatically lists all unwatched movies / series (like Apple TV does)
- The possibility to have Dolby Digital 5.1 through optical
DVS
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby DVS » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Bloostix wrote:oad station and file st

Mobile Download is part of your mobile app... Marked as "offline videos". Just play with the app a bit more ;)

Absolutely great work guys... Only things I can think of that is "missing" are rather high tech (some of it at least):

- during playback: "playlist like view / multi-view options" as a standard
(so when you play a vid, you can still brows the rest of the files in the background / on the side, select another vid or playlist, go wide view it drops to below the vid and then off course full screen)
- randomized play option
(you have repeat and repeat1... just add random)
- popout play options
(video player pops into a border-less window)
- preview popup button
(I know it's fancy, but so are you xD)
- "on ribbon" info display click
(ex. when you click on a video on the ribbon, the page stays the same, only the video information overlays onto the ribbon image so you can read the info and play directly if you choose, else simply keep scrolling)
- logged in logo change
(you can edit the login page, but not the logged in logo - the "videostation" image)
- comments section below
(or the option to show/hide on any particular video)
- ability to edit default main sections
("Movie", "TV Show", "Home Video" - can only add folders at the moment and edit your own added sections)
- adding live stream links
(when adding a new section / category, the option to paste a url of a live stream which then embeds the stream into videostation)
- select option on the series brows page, leading to multi-select; edit video info option
(some times with a series for example, video station does not select the same info content for all the videos and you have to manually click into every video, or group of videos and then edit info, "select from existing". The fact that you can edit in this way is already marvelous. So much better it would be if you could do it to multiple videos requiring the same info it would...)

And thats as far as my brain allows for now 0_o

Thanks again for an amazing, life changing app!
Magma
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Magma » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:43 pm

It would be great if the internet search for video info said which database the information was being recovered from (so the file names could be matched to the database you plan to use before Video Station starts discovering them). It would also be great if you could make it possible to select a default database that it will try to match first when discovering new files.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”