DSvideo / Video Station wishlist

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
BoutTime
Apprentice
Apprentice

DSvideo / Video Station wishlist

Unread post by BoutTime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:49 pm

As far as I can see each user can access either all folders and films in the video folder or none at all. This of no use if you have children in the house who only need access to 'children's videos'.
Quite simply its not safe in it's present state.

stormrazor2000
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Video Station - Individual Folder access resrictions for

Unread post by stormrazor2000 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 pm

+1

beppe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Video Station - Individual Folder access resrictions for

Unread post by beppe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:55 am

I agree ... it would be nice if among the automatic things used to classify movies appeared the motion picture rating, (PG, PG-13, etc) and then used to give different access rights to different users

nickiman
Trainee
Trainee

Video Station - Support for Play TV tuner as compatible dev.

Unread post by nickiman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi,

Since the development of Play TV was stopped by PlayStation, they leaving to all of us with no way to remotely schedule recordings or any similar feature that we were expecting from long time ago.

That´s the reason why I think it would be more useful (from my point of view) if we could use it connected in our NAS in order to be managed with the new Video Station app.

In fact, this tuner HW deserves to give a chance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayTV

Apart from that, I have also found that this tuner can be used in both Windows and Linux platforms with their drivers so this could help to Synology to integrate this tuner as a new Video Station compatible device.

Below you can find this info:

Tutorial and drivers for windows: http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-medi ... ndows.html
Tutorial and drivers for Linux: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/S ... uner_DVB-T

Keep waiting for your comments...

Regards

DonnieBoy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Video Station Wish List

Unread post by DonnieBoy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Here are some things I would love to see added :

1) Display new additions to TV shows.
I see you can display the latest movies but when I sort by the latest TV shows, I want to see
all the most recent TV shows that have been added irregardless of what folder they are in.
Example, Have a display that shows me something like:
Big Bang Theory S04E02, Hoarders S04E05, The Middle S05E04, etc.

2) Allow me to select movies or TV shows that are listed and queue then up for viewing.
Make it as easy as selecting the tv and movie thumbnails and choosing 'queue', then have an
option to 'play queue'.

secretliar
Novice
Novice

Re: Video Station Wish List

Unread post by secretliar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:27 am

Hi,

This is my wishlist too :

3) List view mode
Because it's more effective.

3b) A "only cover/title" mode
Because it's nice.

4) Smooth scroll
Because, it's really buggy right now.

5) The native scroll bar
Because always duplicate things that already exist make your interfaces slower

6) Tree view under "TV Show" to quickly list tv series.
It could be nice and the sidebar would be more useful.

7) Update the video player.
I can't use Video Station within Safari browser on a mac :(

8) A preference setting to choose in which language we would prefer media informations.

tresnak.pavel
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tresnak.pavel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:47 am

Hi. Please add this functionality.

1) Make DLNA source from Video Station

2) Add "back button" to navigation

3) Add own metadata scrapers support (as XBMC). Or add CSFD.CZ :)

Swaper
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Swaper » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:10 am

Hi, many thanks for such great device!

So here is my wishlist:
1. ability to get information about movies from Kinopoisk.ru
2. client application of video studio for Samsung SMART TV

dranos
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by dranos » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:38 pm

The more I use it the more I like it.

It would be nice when it is possible to choose a device to stream to i.e.
iPad or external media renderen or lg tv, just als this is possible in ds audio.

Or better: make a synology remote with a HDMI connector.

IDtheTarget
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by IDtheTarget » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:39 pm

I have one simple request:

Please modify the indexing service so that, as in other servers, if I put the IMDB number in the name of the file it will pick up the proper information.

Background: I have several hundred movies that I'm bringing to my new DS-213air (which is very cool, by the way!). All of these movies have the IMDb number in the file name (i.e. Horsemen_(tt0892767).mkv). On other servers, this ensures that I get the right information (as opposed to Video Station, which right now is listing this movie as "The Four Horsemen" and has the wrong information.

Yes, I know that I can manually go in and verify each movie and make the changes necessary, but since I've already done the work and other servers support this....

Thanks!

secretliar
Novice
Novice

Unread post by secretliar » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:15 pm

IDtheTarget wrote: Please modify the indexing service so that, as in other servers, if I put the IMDB number in the name of the file it will pick up the proper information.
All of these movies have the IMDb number in the file name (i.e. Horsemen_(tt0892767).mkv). On other servers, this ensures that I get the right information.

+1 !

gaming-king
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by gaming-king » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:54 pm

I gotta say, i love the new Video Station! and i love the fact that you have thought of adding DVB-T TV to it aswell - great thinking!

Would it be possible to ask for DVB-C tuner support aswell? I don't know how hard it is to impliment (contra DVB-T), but this would be a huge thing for a lot of Danes. The DVB-T is used widely in Denmark, but almost all channels need some kind of subscribtion and for that you need a DVB-T Tuner with a decoder - which isn't supported by Synology (yet).

So while you keep working on DVB-T tuner support, have just a few guys working on the DVB-C tuner support and a lot of your costumers in Denmark will be very happy! :)

hanmari
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by hanmari » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:59 am

I have been using a Boxee Box media streaming device to act as a TV interface to stream movies from my DS211J to my television. Unfortunately, Boxee just announced that it is discontinuing support of the Boxee Box. I have yet to find a suitable alternative that can take the place of my recently deprecated hardware. I love the new Video Station support for Synology DSM 4.1 as it allows me to stream to Video Station clients on my computing devices. However, my television does not have software capability to run a Video Station client. I know it is outside of their core competencies, but perhaps Synology could look into providing a hardware device that could interface between a Disk Station and a television so a TV can access Video Station services. Here's hoping for a Synology TV interface device....

hanmari
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by hanmari » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Thinking more about getting Video Station to stream to a television... The only direct option is DLNA, but that doesn't provide the robust interface that Video Station client provides, and few televisions use it. It seems that Synology is not looking to diversify and enter the market for providing hardware devices that interface directly with televisions (e.g. Roku, Western Digital TV Live Media Player). However, Synology could leverage existing multimedia hardware devices that can interface with a television (e.g. Apple TV, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii). Perhaps Synology could deploy the Video Station client as a software add on for these existing third-party multimedia streaming devices. It could show up as a channel on a Roku box or Wii console, or as an application on an Xbox 360 or PS3. How about it? Any chance to see Video Station client running as a Wii channel?

Civuck
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Civuck » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:31 pm

This seems to have been alluded to earlier in this thread, but my 2 cents...

As the Synology iOS Audio Station app has it already, why not add the ability to select a player to the iOS Video Station app as well rather than limiting playback to just the iPad itself?

I, like I'm sure others, would like the ability to browse my Video Station library on my iPad but send the the actual video playback directly to my WDTV Live (or other DLNA renderer), releasing the iPad.

The WDTV Live has the playback horsepower but a weak/slow media library process. Whereas the Synology/Video Station combination is the opposite; weak transcoding but a solid library process.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”