Read me

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Read me

Unread post by Franklin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:26 pm

Here is a place where you can make suggestions for our future products. Please note that we can't respond to every single suggestion because of the many suggestions that we receive, but we do read every single suggestion.

Thanks.
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews

kiyyto
Sharp
Sharp

DS 107+ - in theory it is great

Unread post by kiyyto » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:40 pm

I like the DS series, in theory.

In practice, the download station is so slow it is not very useful. I know that you guys are working on it - nuff said.

iTunes server - in theory a great app, but when it is not compatible with a common format (mpg-4 or AAC) then it, like download station, is not very useful.

That said, I think you guys are doing a great job still. The media streaming capabilities of the DS impress me and the *potential* usefulness of your current products (assuming they become fully functional soon) is great!

On a cautionary note, I think what most of your customers would love is for you guys to fix what is not working before thinking about moving forward, in particular download station's slow speeds and incompatibility with many other clients and iTunes server's incompatibility with some file formats.

Lastly,
for true future improvements...

Some sort of recycle bin on the server would be so helpful. I've not deleted anything by accident, but it is because I am extremely careful when doing anything on the DS.

The ability to format the disk of the DS as either NTFS or HFS+ would be nice.

(maybe tame the blue light on the front of the DS - that would be nice too.)

and as always, any kind of speed increase is also appreciated as long as it doesn't increase the power consumption, which is already very nice as it is.

but really, the DS is great already, in theory and form... it just needs to function like it is supposed to and then it will be grrrreat!

My $.02
Thanks.

:idea:

Ajazzapado
Trainee
Trainee
Location: Madrid (from Madrid to Heaven...). Madrileños, ¿estáis ahí? ¿Hablamos?

Suggestion: Forum app behaviour

Unread post by Ajazzapado » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:29 pm

Franklin wrote:Here is a place where you can make suggestions for our future products.
I couldn't find any place to make suggestions about the forum itself, instead of Synology products, so I'm writing here.

I suppose that when a registered user logs in and marks 'Log me on automatically each visit', his data is writen in a table with primary key = 'username'+'ip_addr'. If you login from serveral ip addresses, auto-login doesn't work. I think that is a limitation. I use to log in from every machine which a seat in front of, so I can't use auto-login (a lot of spread cookies...).

Greetings
Ajazzapado
1 x CS407 DSM 2.0 4 x ST3750640AS RAID5
2 x DS508 DSM 2.2-0942 4 x ST31000340NS RAID5
4 x DS509+ DSM 2.3-1141 5 x WD2002FYPS RAID5
10 x DS409+ DSM 2.3-11415 3 x WD1000FYPS
Toshiba Tecra 9000 / HP Compaq NX9420 / Lenovo TP SL410
17 x HP iPAQ HX4700 WM2003SE + Opera Mobile 8.65 Resco Explorer--> DSM 2.0 AJAX DOESN'T WORK!!!!
1 x QTEK 9000 WM5 + Opera Mobile 8.65 Resco Explorer--> DSM 2.0 AJAX DOESN'T WORK!!!!
1 x Viliv X70 Premium 3G SSD32 WXP

kaayman
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Read me

Unread post by kaayman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:18 pm

I would really like a way of telling, when the hd is going into hibernation.
The log would be perfect for that (/var/log/messages) or in log of ajax GUI

DS508_customer
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by DS508_customer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:06 am

Franklin wrote:Here is a place where you can make suggestions for our future products....
@Synology: Many customers and prospects are posting their suggestions in this board (Board index » General » Feature Request) for free. If the poster is lucky, (s)he gets a response like "We will forward your feedback to department R&D for consideration, but please note that everything is subject to changes.".
However, what happens with our suggestions, exactly? Please, can you give us a virtual 'behind the scene' tour (perhaps even on video)? This would give us some insight on how customer feedback is handled/ valued and perhaps encourage more customer feedback. I am not so much requesting a general description of your Service Support processes (although that would be interesting to know, as well). I am more interested in some practical details, like:
  • How frequently do you review ('collect') the feature requests posted in this forum (either with or without replying to them)?
  • How many records of (unique) Request for Changes (RFCs) does your database contain and how fast is that number changing due to feedback via this forum?
  • Which classifications for RFCs (e.g, non-urgent/ urgent RFC, minor/ major RFC, bugfixing repair/ functional addition RFC, ...) do you use and what are the criteria for those classifications?
  • Which functional disciplines within your organization are the members of your Change Advisory Board (CAB)?
  • Which of those disciplines represent the voice of the people that post feature requests in this forum and how big are their votes in the CAB-meetings?
  • Is an active forum administrator/ moderator (like Franklin or Elena) a member of the CAB? If so, how big is his/her vote in the CAB-meetings? If not, why not?
  • How does the CAB prioritize RFCs (e.g., for each selected RFC: democratic voting based on impact analyzes from experts)?
  • How much influence does customer input collected via this forum have on prioritizing RFCs?
  • Which department is responsible for change management and which is for release management?
  • What is your general release policy (e.g., a high-level road map of where functionality is headed over the next 12 months or so)?
  • How are releases split/ planned (e.g. into fixed budgets, time boxes and/ or a minimum number of granted RFCs per RFC-category)?
  • How many RFCs are granted/ solved with each new release on average?

[list]
[*]Model: DS1010+
[*]Firmware: DSM4.2-3202
[*]Volume 1: RAID 1 with 2 * Seagate ST31000333AS
[*]Volume 2: RAID 5 with 3 * Western Digital WDC WD1000FYPS-0
[*]Network: '1000, Full duplex, mtu 1500 with Dynamic Link Aggregation'
[*]Services and packages enabled: as few as possible and at least 'Windows file service'
[*]Hibernation Time: 15 minutes
[*]External Devices: APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 230V via USB[/list]
[quote="C. A. R. Hoare"]The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity.[/quote]

DS508_customer
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by DS508_customer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:47 am

@Synology: Could someone make a sticky encouraging users to add a poll for each feature request? The advantage of polls is that it makes quantifying 'the community's need' for certain new features easier and more accurate for Synology. The default poll-questions could be something like:
  1. Yes, I support this feature requests (as is).
  2. Yes, I support this feature requests and have some related requests (mentioned in a post within this topic).
  3. No, I do not support this feature requests (for reasons explained in a post within this topic).
  4. Other (explained in a post within this topic).

[list]
[*]Model: DS1010+
[*]Firmware: DSM4.2-3202
[*]Volume 1: RAID 1 with 2 * Seagate ST31000333AS
[*]Volume 2: RAID 5 with 3 * Western Digital WDC WD1000FYPS-0
[*]Network: '1000, Full duplex, mtu 1500 with Dynamic Link Aggregation'
[*]Services and packages enabled: as few as possible and at least 'Windows file service'
[*]Hibernation Time: 15 minutes
[*]External Devices: APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 230V via USB[/list]
[quote="C. A. R. Hoare"]The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity.[/quote]

SingSyn
I'm New!
I'm New!

EPS / PDF graphics for Network Diagrammers?

Unread post by SingSyn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:05 am

Hello!

I'm a fan of Synology NAS products (DS106 and 207), albeit with a terrifying slowdown on the 207 -- it's turned to mud. Drops transfers, takes forever to get anything off it... But that's not the point of this post.

I do a lot of network diagram work in the very excellent Omnigraffle application. Is there a source for EPS graphics of Synology products? In the apparent absence of such, I've put together one of my own. I'm happy to share it, but it might be whole lot easier to use original EPS/PDF files from Synology.

Available?

Thanks very much!

stinov
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by stinov » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 am

Hi Franklin,

Would it be possible for you to start a topic with the feature requests that are already in the pipeline at Synology?
That way people can stop requesting the features they want over and over again, when these are coming in the near future?
I think it would make your life easier and keep the feature request topics under control ;-)

Thanks

Relax
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by Relax » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:15 am

stinov wrote:Hi Franklin,

Would it be possible for you to start a topic with the feature requests that are already in the pipeline at Synology?
That way people can stop requesting the features they want over and over again, when these are coming in the near future?
I think it would make your life easier and keep the feature request topics under control ;-)

Thanks
A Tracker would be nice:
Feature requested - accepted/denied - progress

onman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by onman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:29 pm

From the above request I love the idea of having each request being a poll.

My request is, however, to allow for some more development support. These may be available with the standard DSM or through additional packages.
What I myself am looking for is:
- Have the xdebug available in apache. In the DSM there could be a checkbox to turn it on and off.
- A version control server like the svn project that apache has adopted (apache subversion)
(this could be delivered as a downloadable package)

Hein
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Hein » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:50 am

As this is a ReadMe i think it is not ment for actually posting suggestions and such. Opening a new topic instead of replying to this ReadMe thread would be better to keep all the suggestions in their own thread. Maybe locking this Readme thread would be better?
Synology DS411Slim - 4 x 1TB
External WD Elements Desktop 1TB usb harddisk as backup.

lastpick
I'm New!
I'm New!

A virtualized option

Unread post by lastpick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:31 am

Looking at all the features your products have I am rather envious since I realize how much work I would have to do to replicate them on my own NAS system. What I would like to see and be willing to pay for is a virtualized appliance option for those of us running a home server that already has storage available. Perhaps something similar to what nexentastor is doing. Is this in the works?

Hardcore
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Hardcore » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:04 am

The ability to install packages onto a USB device plugged into the back of the storage station.
Currently you have to have 'spare' space on a disk set so you can setup volume to store packages on.
This means a disk set needs to have multiple file systems on it, not good for through put, to have a system utility on the same disk as your main network storage.

Also there is a "bug" in the external devices plugin, which means it does not correctly update after a device is plugged in, unless you quit and re enter it.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”