Upgrade iTunes server to forked-daapd

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
lambu
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Upgrade iTunes server to forked-daapd

Unread post by lambu » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:13 pm

I think there is a royalties problem.

It could be a good idea to give the possibility to the user to buy this license as optional upgrade...this is the way follows by Denon to give AirPlay compatibility to their audio-video products.

Taxman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Taxman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:57 pm

forked-daapd is open source just like the current iTunes server there are no royalties, there is already an effort by end users of a well known competitor to Synology NAS in making forked-daapd work on their NAS and they are making progress.

lambu
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by lambu » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Taxman wrote:forked-daapd is open source just like the current iTunes server there are no royalties, there is already an effort by end users of a well known competitor to Synology NAS in making forked-daapd work on their NAS and they are making progress.
I know this project is open-source, I was trying to explain why this project and OTB Synology iTune Server is not able to work with Apple TV (old and new one) nativily: the reason is that it's necessary to pay a license to Apple to use AirPlay protocol.

This is the reason why Denon, for example, has deployed an optional upgrade to all its customer for its new products.

Taxman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Taxman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:30 pm

My bad didn't see the reply.

Something I learned Airplay actually consists of the new Airplay protocol for videos and the old Airtunes protocol for music so Airtunes hasn't been replaced just renamed, forked-daapd is still it seems the best open source reverse engineered AirTunes compatible server. The Airplay video format has been much easier to crack, (it's even working in XBMC) so hopefully they will merge if they haven't already started to in forked-daapd.

lambu
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by lambu » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 am

Taxman wrote: if they haven't already started to in forked-daapd.
I hope....

provis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by provis » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 pm

I am really interested in this as well. I wish Synology would just go to a completely modular format. If you want a webserver you add the package, if you want itunes you can add it, etc., etc. It would be nice to open this up the community as well as they can create packages in an easier fashion as well.

christiand
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by christiand » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:32 pm

I would love to see an itunes server support which will let me keep my pc shutdown and still able to access my music from an ipad or ipod.

hipgorilla
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by hipgorilla » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:38 pm

+1 on adding the ability for iTunes' Home Sharing feature to function in Synology DSM. I can't say enough good things about my little 411+, having this feature would pretty much make it perfect. :D

Akiland
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by Akiland » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:42 pm

christiand wrote:I would love to see an itunes server support which will let me keep my pc shutdown and still able to access my music from an ipad or ipod.
You could just use the DS audio app for iPad to achieve this ;)

pkdev
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by pkdev » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Will forked-daap allow streaming of music directly to any device such as the Airport Express? If yes, this may solve issue being discussed at Re: iTunes server with Airtunes to Airport Express

Whether it be forked-daap or some other implementation, streaming of music from DS directly to any Airplay or compatible sound output device would be highly desirable (i.e no need for computer, iDevice to be ON to achieve this).

+Infinity (∞)

Synology: Any expectations this functionality is coming down the pipe?

khurrraam
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by khurrraam » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:33 am

This needs to be add by Synology. I do think that Synology's DSM 3.1 is one of the finest piece of software out there. But it has its nagging annoyances ranging from PhotoStation to iTunes Media streaming to PHP issues. Nothing major but just little bits and bobs that keep getting over looked.

+1 for iTunes server to be updated with forked-daapd.

Thanks a million.

amlucent
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by amlucent » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:16 pm

this is a no-brainer. Firefly has not received development in years now and forked-daap brings many updated features.

+1
DS411+II - 4x Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB

niewiesznic
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by niewiesznic » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:15 am

+1
Regards,
niewiesznic

frenchy128
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by frenchy128 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:06 pm

+1

And I think I'm going to try too do something about it. I bought the DS411j for a friend with two AppleTV 2's, and was very dissapointed to find out that the ATV's don't see the NAS's iTunes server.

I don't have the NAS with me, but I plan on telnet/shh'ing into the unit, and upgrading/replacing 'mt-daapd' with 'forked-daapd v0.16'. My thoughts are that considering it's a linux based system this should allow me to apply the fix as if it were a linux/unix based system.

I will document the progress, and if successful I will share. My goal is to make ATV 2 work with the DS411j, and in theory, this should apply to most Synology NAS's..

Thanks
Frenchy

Jeeosch
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Jeeosch » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:37 pm

frenchy128 wrote: And I think I'm going to try too do something about it.
frenchy128 wrote: I will document the progress, and if successful I will share. My goal is to make ATV 2 work with the DS411j, and in theory, this should apply to most Synology NAS's.
Go for it, Frenchy! :wink:
---
Synology DS214play, 6TB, SHR, DSM 6.1-15047 Update 1 - backup disk: WD MyBook 6TB, USB3.0

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”