Download Station Requests

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
beusse
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Download Station Requests

Postby beusse » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi,

To my opinion, my 2 cool features would be :
- to add a field for a blocklist URL/file (like in Transmission)
- to integrate a par2 check / repair option when files are grabbed from newsgroups

Cheers.
GiraffDK
Novice
Novice

Postby GiraffDK » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:47 pm

Here is a summar for some request that might help all.

+1 - QuickPar, as uzip is build in. There are a lot off work after download at the moment.
+1 - Rename destination folder at task creation. Instead off them called "CCEOGJAIV1234FQAE".
+1 - Multiple watch folders.
Owns:
One DS-101g+
One CS-407e
Two DS-712+
One DS-1812+
I'm selling all Synology products to costumes.
acordero
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby acordero » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:21 pm

I would like to see more options, at least through the API, to control the destination of the individual files of a torrent, including their priority (this last part can be done in the dialog but not the API). So, in the task creation call i could specify whether to download each file or not and their absolute destination path.

That way when downloading, for example, a TV episode, i could set it to download only the main video file and when it finishes copy the file to the directory i want and with the clean name i want. Each file could even go to different directories. In the example, the main video file would go directly inside a subdirectory for the series making it possible to download directly to my video library structure.
syldub
Trainee
Trainee

Download Station Requests : BitTorrent search operators

Postby syldub » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:42 pm

My improvement suggestions for the Download Station search module are :
  • enable the ability to search for all typed words. For instance the actual search "Microsoft Windows 2012" will return all items containing "Microsoft" regardless if they contain the "Windows" and "2012" keyword :shock: . We should be able to select if we want to find ANY typed words or ALL typed words.
  • enable search operators: AND, OR, grouping search (), EXACT search "", ... (Google Advanced Search is a good implementation to refer to)
For the moment, the search implementation is a complete mystery:
In torrents, if I search "Microsoft", I get 316 results.
If I search "Windows", I get 407 results.
If the "ANY words" method was implemented, the search "Microsoft Windows" should get 316+407=723 results. But actually, "Microsoft Windows" query gets 273 results :roll: . And in results, some doesn't have "Windows" keyword in it :roll: .
This is completely obscure and inefficient.
I don't understand why Synology doesn't document how the search functionality is working :evil: .
Synology DS211 & DS115 - DSM 6.0
Aramis
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Aramis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:39 pm

Troberg wrote:Command line support.

I'd like a command line tool for adding downloads to Download Station. That way, I can easily batch add stuff to automate downloads.

For adding downloads to Download station, you can select a share where the torrents should be checked (that is when you downloading torrents)
then to batch add stuff, copy the torrent file into the correct folder and Download Station will download it automatically.

I've made a bash (yes you need to install Bash for this, sh won't work) script that can be used to list, remove, and clean up the download list. If you want it, I gladly upload it.
Troberg
Novice
Novice

Postby Troberg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:29 am

I'd gladly look at your script, even though it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like a client side solution. But, I can look at it and perhaps put together my own command line client.

Also, a "drop dir" only works for torrents. Most major sites now use magnet links.
grimthaw
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby grimthaw » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:23 am

Hi.

Just an additional feature request. I've read that Vuze have added "swarm merging"
https://wiki.vuze.com/w/Swarm_Merging

With some code available here
https://svn.vuze.com/public/client/trun ... obal/impl/

Which would be nice in download station's BT section.
phuture2k
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby phuture2k » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:49 pm

Auto-Queue slow torrents (for example, torrents with 0Kbps download speed for more than 10minutes). This would be perfect!
csilsand
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby csilsand » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:09 am

Nearly there, just 2 things missing and I will be satisfied:

:arrow: Create .torrent files so that i can share/upload my own content much more easily. (Skimming through the posts i see several people wanting this one)
:arrow: Remove button - Add a feature to delete marked torrent and its content
dkeusch
Student
Student

Postby dkeusch » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:35 pm

I LOVE IT. Does all my download since years without many bugs. What would be nice would be to have for the torrents search results the same red tagging as in the Emule searches results when the file has already been downloaded.
Besides this I find great to launch and forget. Comes sooner or later but comes almost always.
Didier
DS210j | 2x3Tb WD30PURX | RAID 0
DS409+ | 4x3Tb WD30EZRX | RAID 5
DS412+ | 4x4Tb ST4000VN000 | RAID 5

APC Back-UPS BR900GI
Kodi
jbofctu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jbofctu » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:08 am

This is primarily for the download station iOS/android app. I tend to search for the new episodes of fav shows each week...

What would be easy and fantastic is a recent search history.
A. Could Do similar to a browser input history, i.e. Simple cached Type ahead
B. maybe a type ahead with drop down on the side of the input like a combo box html control that shows recent or even all search terms since app install.
C. The search screen by default/no text filter lists the past searches in a clickable list below, on click the search filter is populated and a searched is initiated.

I use search a lot so this would be helpful both here and in download station web app
Sagoth
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Sagoth » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:26 pm

syldub wrote:My improvement suggestions for the Download Station search module are :
  • enable the ability to search for all typed words. For instance the actual search "Microsoft Windows 2012" will return all items containing "Microsoft" regardless if they contain the "Windows" and "2012" keyword :shock: . We should be able to select if we want to find ANY typed words or ALL typed words.
  • enable search operators: AND, OR, grouping search (), EXACT search "", ... (Google Advanced Search is a good implementation to refer to)
If the "ANY words" method was implemented, the search "Microsoft Windows" should get 316+407=723 results. But actually, "Microsoft Windows" query gets 273 results :roll: . And in results, some doesn't have "Windows" keyword in it :roll: .
I don't understand why Synology doesn't document how the search functionality is working :evil: .

Yes, +1

The search (or at least the result filtering) handling some basic operators such as OR or AND (or "-") seems to me a must do (and not especialy difficult to implement I guess, at least on the result filtering)
NAS: DS416j + DS214se
mderksen
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mderksen » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:07 am

My feature request for Download Station:
+ Add VPN proxy
syldub
Trainee
Trainee

Postby syldub » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Sagoth wrote:
syldub wrote:My improvement suggestions for the Download Station search module are :

Yes, +1

The search (or at least the result filtering) handling some basic operators such as OR or AND (or "-") seems to me a must do (and not especialy difficult to implement I guess, at least on the result filtering)

Hi,

Here was my request to the Synology support :
You have done great work on Diskstation. I love it.
But I have strong improvement suggestions for the Download Station search module :
- enable the ability to search for all typed words. For instance the actual search "Microsoft Windows 2012" will return all items containing "Microsoft" regardless if they contain the "Windows" and "2012" keyword. We should be able to select if we want to find ANY typed words or ALL typed words.
- enable search operators: AND, OR, grouping search (), EXACT search "", ... (Google Advanced Search is a good implementation to refer to)

If the "ANY words" method was implemented, the search "Microsoft Windows" should get 316+407=723 results. But actually, "Microsoft Windows" query gets 273 results :roll: . And in results, some doesn't have "Windows" keyword in it!
I don't understand why Synology doesn't document how the search functionality is working.

Here was an interesting answer from the french Synology support (on 15 january 2016):
J'ai le plaisir de revenir vers vous avec un retour de notre responsable développement en charge de Download Station.

Download Station a integré au cours du temps le référencement de plusieurs sites de recherches de torrents parmi les plus populaires du marché.
La barre de recherche de Download station ne sert ainsi que d'interface pour tous les modules de recherches des sites web dédiés torrents référencés par notre outil. Les résultats affichés sur Download station dépendront donc de la configuration des moteurs de recherche de chacun de ces sites.
Pour reprendre l'exemple que vous donniez sur "Microsof Windows 2012", le site A pourra retourner à Download Station un résultat pour "Microsoft" seul alors qu'un site référencé B fournira un retour pour "Microsoft Windows 2012" car la recherche sur ce site sera configurée par défaut en "All". Download Station ne fera ensuite que compiler les résultats de recherche fournis par les sites A et B pour vous les présenter.

J'espère que ces précisions apportées par nos équipes sauront vous satisfaire.

N'hésitez pas à revenir vers nous pour la moindre précision sur cette explication ou pour toute autre suggestion. Nous enrichissons chaque jour nos solutions à travers les contributions de nos utilisateurs.

So... we can still use logical operators in the Download Station search, but some torrent search engines will understand it, and others not...
Synology DS211 & DS115 - DSM 6.0
repsak
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby repsak » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:03 pm

+ Allow to run script when a download is completed. Transmission has this feature:
Transmission can be set to invoke a script when downloads complete. The environment variables supported are:
TR_APP_VERSION
TR_TIME_LOCALTIME
TR_TORRENT_DIR
TR_TORRENT_HASH
TR_TORRENT_ID
TR_TORRENT_NAME

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”