Download Station Requests

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback
GameGhost
Trainee
Trainee

Download Station Requests

Postby GameGhost » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:55 pm

I've read a number of threads about added Download Station capabilities. This seems to be a big issue, with a lot of various requests. I too have things that I would like to see the Download Station be able to do... but I'm not sure what has already been requested... So...

Moderators: could you help manage this by doing a couple of things?

1) Can we get an official (or even unofficial) list of features that are being added to the Download Station? This will help us manage our requests and ease our minds.

2) Can we Sticky this thread and use it to gather all the various Download Station (http/ftp/bittorrent) requests?

-----
General Requests
Ability to block user access to the Download Station
Delete Incomplete/Canceled Downloads from HDD
Save downloads to subfolders of shares
*RSS Feed Downloads with filter options (for downloading podcasts, or torrent files from an RSS feed)
A "Pickup" Folder that scans for .torrent files (and perhaps also urls, and .txt files with lists of urls) and adds them to the download queue

HTTP/FTP Requests
Download Accelerator capability (multiple connections to a single download file)

BitTorrent Requests
**Seeding after download complete
Seeding rules (unlimited, time limit, ratio limit)
Viewable Upload Rate
Viewable Connections (upload/download)
Better Upload/Download Speed Restrictions (max connections, max rates, bandwidth throttle scheduler)
DHT connection support
Encrypted Connections
Save .torrent files (for later seeding)
Ability to set priority of Torrents

-----
* For an example how this feature should work, and most of the features listed in the BitTorrent section, have a look at the features available in uTorrent
** This is just critical!
Last edited by GameGhost on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imran.maz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby imran.maz » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:58 am

An exellent post.
This diserves a sticky as the requests about the download station do seem to be spread out and so have less impact.
please could we have a list of the improvements to the download station and an estimated time of arrival?
Formerly:
Synology DS-106e
Seagate Barracuda 320GB Drive
Firmware 428
kibby
Novice
Novice

Postby kibby » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:31 am

I agree. :)

Your or others suggestion about download accelerator .. well I think I'll avoid it. Maybe make it an on/off option. I remember reading the policies on some sites that will auto-ban whoever engages multiple connections.
GameGhost
Trainee
Trainee

Postby GameGhost » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Any download accelerator options would have to be configurable. Speed limiting, number of parts, the ability to set it as default or not, the ability to turn it on. It can be helpful, but yes, sometimes it can get you into trouble. The suggestions are in no particular order above, I've just tried to collect all the ones that I've seen and that I could think of.

Is there any official response on these suggestions?
I'm really getting wary of using the BitTorrent capability because it's killing my share ratios, which is going to get me banned. I've tried lowering the download rate, but it won't help if I'm grabbing large files with few other downloaders and mostly seeds. If I don't seed for a fairly long time after I've downloaded the file, I never seed it. That is BAD.

Which means I need to use another computer to manage my torrents with a client that works. This is the opposite of what I wanted and why I specifically bought the Synology DiskStation instead of some other NAS.
eduo
Beginner
Beginner

Postby eduo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:47 pm

Haz anyone made any kind of ranking on what features are the most important of those missing?

I know for me it would be control over seeding, a torrent "pick-up" folder (place .torrent files there and have them picked up for download) and saving of completed torrents. In that order.

Unless at least the first part is implemented I really have no use for the DiskStation's download functionality (and given that this was one of my main points for purchasing it points at where is this going to go soon). I have almost lost membership in a couple of trackers because of this.
GameGhost
Trainee
Trainee

Postby GameGhost » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:06 pm

eduo wrote:a torrent "pick-up" folder (place .torrent files there and have them picked up for download)

Oh yeah, I thought of that today too. I'll add that to the feature list.

As for priority, I think that the ability to seed is the very top. If I had a top 3 they would be:
  1. Seeding control (the ability to seed and Seeding Rules)
  2. Better Upload/Download Speed Restriction
  3. RSS Feed Torrent Fetching (and filtering)
imran.maz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby imran.maz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:20 pm

I cannot even get my download speeds higher than 0.01kb/s so seeding at the moment is not an issue for me..yet! :cry:

i think DHT and Encryption are show stoppers and so should be pretty high up the list... but seeding is high piority too.

The torrent folder is a good idea but in my opinion the three features above are almost essential.
Formerly:
Synology DS-106e
Firmware 428
imran.maz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby imran.maz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:29 pm

eduo - can apple TV really download torrents? or is it another "Mod" check out "Kuro Box" on google... DS10X on steroids!
Formerly:
Synology DS-106e
Firmware 428
eduo
Beginner
Beginner

Postby eduo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:34 pm

Imram: I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree. The first priority should be to bring the download station to the bare minimum required from any half-decent torrent client. Bittorrent was created for sharing, so that means the first priority should be seeding ratios. I can't see how this is debatable over other features which are considered "extras" in any client.

This is what I meant with a ranking of sorts. If we have any hope of being paid attention (and so far I don't trust this will happen) we need to make it clear what things are most demanded and in what order.

DHT helps to keep downloading when a tracker goes down.
Encryption helps P2P filters from ISPs.

I can understand how with there two requirements you'd really have no use for sharing ratios, but the vast majority of users out there use trackers and a lot of these have either enforced or "moral" ratios to keep.

This is especially clear when we realize that there are still two big protocols for DHT out there, none of which is "standard". Same happens with encryption in torrents, each client has its own method and version.

Obviously, what's a showstopper to you is not one to me, which is the reason I think we should agree on some sort of ranking.
eduo
Beginner
Beginner

Postby eduo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:36 pm

imran.maz wrote:eduo - can apple TV really download torrents? or is it another "Mod" check out "Kuro Box" on google... DS10X on steroids!

Imram: Not "out of the box", obviously. But it can download torrents alright. I've set-up aria2 successfully in one, which can be controlled remotely or through front-ends out there.
imran.maz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby imran.maz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:49 pm

I admit, I am some what biased towards download performance since I use my laptop to download onto the DS (I bought the DS to save energy and to enable me to seed for longer as my laptop only has 40Gb) its funny that now I am using more electricity and if it was left to the DS on it's own I would not be able to seed at all!

I think the first thing everyone can agree on is that we want real estimates on delivery and details on what will be included.

I think a ranking would be a good idea as this will give franklin's team a chance to focus on features that we really want.
Formerly:
Synology DS-106e
Firmware 428
kibby
Novice
Novice

Postby kibby » Tue May 01, 2007 11:12 am

Ah thanks for explaination for the DHT. I didn't know until now. Guess both of them hit top of my wish list.

More than one protocol is bad, bad! It's going to be really challenge for the engineering team.

Think video codec packs. There's never a perfect one.
Synology DS-411+
imran.maz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby imran.maz » Tue May 01, 2007 11:23 am

DHT actually allows the peers to download from eachother without using a tracker, that's why heavily seeded torrents on a private tracker can usually be downloaded by people that are not members. In short it's like having a turbo charger in your car.. you need the engine to start going but once there is enough seeders/leechers indeed the tracker could go down and you will be able to continue downloading. if the tracker is up then you get faster speeds.

as for protocol, I did not know there were two.. in anycase utorrent should be an inspiration/benchmark for the whole download engine. ie. use their DHT protocol.

video codecs? Klite codec pack never lets me down! :lol: and whatever axxo uses to encode his movies should be the standard (check out axxo on torrent sites)
Formerly:
Synology DS-106e
Firmware 428
eduo
Beginner
Beginner

Postby eduo » Tue May 01, 2007 2:29 pm

imran.maz wrote:DHT actually allows the peers to download from eachother without using a tracker, that's why heavily seeded torrents on a private tracker can usually be downloaded by people that are not members. In short it's like having a turbo charger in your car.. you need the engine to start going but once there is enough seeders/leechers indeed the tracker could go down and you will be able to continue downloading. if the tracker is up then you get faster speeds.

as for protocol, I did not know there were two.. in anycase utorrent should be an inspiration/benchmark for the whole download engine. ie. use their DHT protocol.

video codecs? Klite codec pack never lets me down! :lol: and whatever axxo uses to encode his movies should be the standard (check out axxo on torrent sites)

There are more platforms out there than Windows. I thought I should make a note of this because this seems to be understated and, in the case of the Synology products, the ratio of non-windows to windows users is actually higher than in other places (thanks to the embedded linux in it and the potential for modding).

uTorrents's DHT implementation is not standard, it's just uTorrent's. The only reason it gets mentioned is because it's what the people who mention it use it.

And the comment about video codec packs is also true, especially when you factor in different platforms.
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Franklin » Wed May 02, 2007 1:19 am

DHT and Seeding rules on are on the list on the improved Download Station. Other features that have been suggested have been added to the "list of consideration", which will be discussed internally amongst our engineers.

To "Delete Incomplete/Canceled Downloads from the HDD" just delete the task, and it will be purged from the buffer. Note, the buffer is once an hour.
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”