DS Audio idea - turn Synology NAS into Sonos

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
scotthatton
Rookie
Rookie

DS Audio idea - turn Synology NAS into Sonos

Unread post by scotthatton » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:37 am

Hi all,

Just thinking out loud here, but what do people think of this idea:

Take the existing very nice DS Audio app for iPhone / iPod Touch.

Add a function so that instead of streaming to the iPhone, the music actually streams to USB speakers/USB audio card plugged into NAS box.

As was working with the Synology Remote product http://www.synology.com/enu/products/remote/index.php

That way I can plug my hifi into the USB audio card and use my iPhone / iPod Touch as a very nice remote control. Kind of like the Sonos products... I'm not restricted to plugging the hifi into the iPod, so can remain comfortable on the sofa and select any tune I wish too.

Add the ability to build up play lists on the fly (so I can set loads of music up in advance, kind of party mode). Perhaps add internet radio stations too.

For me this would be ideal. I could play my full collection of MP3 with having to use laptop, and without having memory size restrictions of MP3 player. And hopefully this isn't a massive step on from what Synology have already done for us.

Any support out there?

Cheers,
Scott

trinode
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DS Audio idea - turn Synology NAS into Sonos

Unread post by trinode » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:55 pm

+1 ish :)

Love the idea, but I'm after it for windows mobile.

yamdar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by yamdar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:31 pm

i just did a search to found out if someone already asked for what i was looking for (DS Audio using "USB Mode) of the Synology Audio Station to use my iPhone as a remote control with, by chance cover for the song played but .. remote controller first )

Hope we are not alone and Synology will think about that )

so : +1 !

rudolpho
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rudolpho » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Yes that is exactly what I am looking for. In my opinion this should be the number one priority for the next release!!

Gido
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Gido » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:50 pm

I bought a small USB sound card for about 12 euros (18 USD). It was instantly recognised by my DS-107+ and in AudioStation I could direct the output to the USB sound card (you can choose to stream it or to play it locally). So it is already possible, you just need a USB sound card and a browser on the controlling device (i.e. iPhone or Windows Mobile phone) that is capable of doing JavaScript and AJAX, and then use AudioStation to control it.

Then again, it would be nice if Synology would create a SOAP-interface to operate AudioStation using another device, such as an iPhone, Windows Mobile phone, Palm smartphones (running WebOS), BlackBerry, a Nokia Internet Tablet (in particular the N800... that's the one I have). The client applications can be made by Synology or by enthousiast programmers, and they can be added to their respective App Stores or repositories. Personally I'd like it to work with Canola, which is a versatile media player for the Nokia Internet Tablets. Besides audio, this could also be done for SurveillanceStation and PhotoStation.

The advantage for Synology is more publicity for its products among users that never thought of buying a NAS, but were looking for a solution for their music collection for instance.

gerpi
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by gerpi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:36 am

Tried to control Synology audio with the webbrowser of my iPhone. Could activate the usb mode and play songs. But one can not access the playlist.
So - please Synology: Change the DS Audio app to do the job!!

Thx

Gerhard

P.S.
See also: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18071

TruckTurner
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by TruckTurner » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:06 pm

+1 for this :)

rav-synology
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rav-synology » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:15 am

With Windows Mobile (WinMo) 6.5 recently released, and WinMo7 not far behind, together with the Android OS becoming more popular, I think Synology should create the DS Audio app for the other OS' like they have for iphone. WinMo 6 is still very popular... is there a software out there already which allows connection to synology via internet to stream music? :?

stephan
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by stephan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:35 pm

I really like the DS Audio application. However, it would be even cooler to stream music to my hifi system and use DS Audio as the remote control.
As the synology is already a DLNA server why not stream to any DLNA Renderer?
DS Audio should offer the choice between playing the music locally or streaming it to another system.

That would be great!

Thanks,
Stephan

phil71
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by phil71 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:16 pm

I'm also very interested in this functionnality.

I'd love to use my Palm Pre (webOS) as a remote control.

Alternatively, I'd like to use my media software (J River Media Center) as a dlna controller. I'll be able to change my current playlist as much as I want. Party mode so to speak.

I've just bought a USB audi converter (Behringer U-Control UCA 222) and from my Synology USB port I plugged it digitally in to my audio receiver. Now I can play directly to my home theater loudspeakers. Great. Unfortunately, the Audio Station is lacking the functionnality I want, especially on-the-fly playlist.

Ideally, Synology NAS should be a dlna renderer and compatible with different dlna controllers, smartphones or computers alike.

Syabas, do you have good news for us?

Psy-Q
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Psy-Q » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:18 pm

You can accomplish this by installing mpd (inside a chrooted distribution like Gentoo if it needs to be), and then there are several frontends, even apps for Android. Perhaps there are mpd clients for WebOS too.

chfauc
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by chfauc » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:32 am

panel
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by panel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:25 pm

If anyone intrested I started to develop webOS Synology Download Station manager for DSM 3.0:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-deve ... nager.html

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”