Samba DC feature

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
potapnik
Trainee
Trainee

Samba DC feature

Unread post by potapnik » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 am

A nice feature would be simple Samba domain controller :) with database ased on local user accounts...it cant be so difficult, would be?

edwardpoe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Samba DC feature

Unread post by edwardpoe » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:49 am

I would certainly like to have a domain controller feature. My family uses a DS-207+ for shared storage. It is bothersome to change user passwords every time one of my kids decides they want to change their Windows password.

smangs
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by smangs » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:50 pm

I also believe that a DC function would be great and easily accomplished via SAMBA.

fazerbcn
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by fazerbcn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:23 am

It would be great, but:
- At home lot of people are using Windows Home and will be of no use for a lot of them (plus having problems with the domain)
- At work, almost everybody have windows dedicated server with a lot of functionality, but it would be great for small enterprises that could have two Synology boxes doing DC work will full redundancy and backup of its configuration... ummm That's the line Microsoft is searching with their Microsoft Windows Home Server
- For the people connecting through NFS there will be no difference (I have two mythtv boxes connecting through NFS) but a work to do with the permissions.

I would like DC feature on the synology box!!!

the_imperator
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by the_imperator » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:36 pm

LDAPv3 would be great! DC would be even better, as long as it supports LDAPv3 interface too.

fanadonf
Versed
Versed

Unread post by fanadonf » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:42 am

Yes + 1 for the dc in the NeXT firmware

regard
francois

Raitei Kijin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Raitei Kijin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:57 pm

+1

It's very nice to have a little DC at home. Convert a Samba server 3.x in a PDC isn't so difficult, but I don't know how may impact on DSM configuration. A simply tutorial should be very useful.
The best choice is a Dc with LDAP and a Policy Editor, but I think it could be too expensive...

tjako
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by tjako » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:43 am

+1

I would really appreciate the dc feature for my ds409slim.
Samba is already included and I can ofcourse hack away at the command line but that would mean that I could screw up my configuration for future updates.

Therefore I would like synology to include a samba dc option in dsm.
Or if that is not feasable a package that would allow me to configure it.

Tjako

gkleijweg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by gkleijweg » Thu May 20, 2010 12:43 am

+1

At the moment I still have some computers running on Windows XP Home Edition. When they will be replaced I will certainly get Professional versions, just to be able to use them with a DC and Remote Desktop.

I now use the same account and password on all computers, but I had to set it manually. Having the same accountname and password as on your Synology means that you never have to log in for any shared folder any more. Really wonderfull.

So yes, DC would be great.

scottlindner
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by scottlindner » Thu May 20, 2010 1:01 pm

On the comment about Windows Home not being able to join a domain. That doesn't mean you cannot have a DC and cannot access DC resources. You can connect to domain resources just fine, but you'll need to manually enter your domain credentials just like you have to today without one. Regardless, there are many features of a DC that home users would enjoy, even more so if they have the Pro versions of Windows to better take advatnage of it. There are many home enthusiasts that would gladly upgrade (or already own) Pro versions. So let's not take away from enthusiasts because those that aren't enthusiasts cannot capitalize on the benefits.

That being said. Full Active Directory support is in Samba 4 which is very very hot of the press and I believe is still in a beta. Coincidentally, just two weeks ago my wife asked me about having her desktop show up on any computer in the house. She didn't know she was asking for roaming profiles, so I explained that to her. Now she wants me to set up a DC simply for roaming profiles. So at least I have WAF working for me.

I wonder if we could sneak VMWare Server 2 onto a NAS with ample RAM and CPU resources (I just received my DS1010+ yesterday and with 3GB RAM and a dual core Atom I should be OK) and get Ubuntu/Samba4 as a full AD. My only concern is if DSM is joined to a domain, does the DC need to be up before the DSM boots, or only for authenticating to shares. If it's only for authenticating to shares this would work very well as a transition path to a full AD based DC on the NAS.

Scott
DS1010+ w/ DSM 5.2-5967 Update 8, 3GB RAM
5 WD Red 6TB NAS (WD60EFRX) in SHR with 1 disk fault-tolerance

olano1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by olano1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:30 am

I would like to see PDC features as an option in the final release of DSM 3.0 and SWAT or WEBMIN as interface.

synologyorqnap
Student
Student

Unread post by synologyorqnap » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Doesn't this require Samba 4? Its probably not coming until 3-4+ years down the road.

scottlindner
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by scottlindner » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:08 pm

synologyorqnap wrote:Doesn't this require Samba 4? Its probably not coming until 3-4+ years down the road.
That depends on what you want out of the DC. Most people want authentication and maybe roaming profiles. You can do that with Samba 3. If you want a full Windows Active Directory, you gotta wait for Samba 4 to be done.

olano1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by olano1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:31 pm

But wouldn't it be possible to make it possible to install LDAP on DSM 3.0?

scottlindner
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by scottlindner » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:07 pm

olano1 wrote:But wouldn't it be possible to make it possible to install LDAP on DSM 3.0?
Yes

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”