Carplay

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
gggg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Carplay

Unread post by gggg » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:02 am

I gather DS Audio is not Carplay compatible, but is there any way for the standard iphone music player to see the synology audio files (either manually downloaded somehow, or those downloaded by ds audio directly)? That way we could play those through Carplay

Pensive
Novice
Novice

Re: Carplay

Unread post by Pensive » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm

+1 for carplay

This is really important for vehicle safety going forwards. It basically means i have to drop using DS audio to operate my new car. This is not some feature that may or not be required - it's essential!!!

xumepoc
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by xumepoc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 am

gggg wrote:I gather DS Audio is not Carplay compatible, but is there any way for the standard iphone music player to see the synology audio files (either manually downloaded somehow, or those downloaded by ds audio directly)? That way we could play those through Carplay
Can't you just play vie the Bluetooth media on your car until this is resolved? I have Android Auto, but it requires a physical connection (my car doesn't have wifi hotspot) so for short trips its easier to just play the DS Audio via the Bluetooth media of the car.
DS918+ | DS214+

Pensive
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Pensive » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:31 am

Not really. The phone is plugged in via the glove box.

I can’t access it when I’m driving - and it breaks the whole point of CarPlay - which is to not touch your phone while driving

And ds audio also doesn’t work via Siri either :-/

nilsbyte
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by nilsbyte » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:35 pm

I have created an online petition to motivate Synology to add CarPlay support for DS audio. Please subscribe. Maybe the users are heard and Synology will implement support for it.

Petition "Support for Apple CarPlay in Synology DS Audio iOS App" at Change.org
https://www.change.org/p/synology-suppo ... io-ios-app

Thank you!

Pensive
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Pensive » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:28 pm

I’m happy to sign it, but I’ve since discovered that Apple won’t allow competing parties to support CarPlay.

So for example, NAVIGON and Tom Tom are not allowed to support CarPlay as it is in competition with Apple maps.

If you jailbreak your phone there is an app which will mirror any app onto a CarPlay device from navigon to DS audio to YouTube. Touchscreen works but I keyboard fields don’t as far as I know. That’s your best bet.

My solution? I’m paying for Apple Music and using Apple Maps. Yep. They won.

But Siri works for music and maps and I’d look pretty stupid dead.

AirForceTwo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by AirForceTwo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:26 am

Pensive wrote:I’m happy to sign it, but I’ve since discovered that Apple won’t allow competing parties to support CarPlay.
Third party music apps are allowed on CarPlay. Amazon Music, Google Play Musc, Spotify and even Vox work great with CarPlay.

Pensive
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Pensive » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am

That’s true; maybe it’s only key players then?

I found a note from a NAVIGON developer (or was it Plex?) who said Apple hadn’t even responded to their request but perhaps that’s old news now.

It can’t stay like that forever.....

Pensive
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Pensive » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 am

as far as i can see there are only 3 other audio players compatible - Google Music, Amazon music, and Vox. As far as I can tell - Plex is the best placed NAS media provider to get their app approved but I think you'll be waiting forever and a day for DS audio to get approved. It's only a subsection of the plex app for example so would be classed as a whole new app to approve.

Plex itself would need to have it's functionality stripped down so no video would play while moving.

https://support-en.navigon.com/document ... th-carplay#!

There are currently no other navigation options which would really suck if you were driving through europe and wanted to use your offline maps
If navigon and tom tom, and google maps are all still waiting despite this serious operational flaw, I think we might be waiting quite some time for Plex support, and probably forever for DS Audio. I don't think it'll be carplay compatible for _years_.

There is an immediate solution: Vox.

You'd need to find a way to sync your NAS music folder with the Vox unlimited cloud storage - not sure how you could do this but there's usually a way. And you'd need to pay the slightly ouchy monthly subscription for Vox, but this would then give you carplay access to all your flacs at "full" quality* in the car.

*please note that this would be entirely dependent on the quality of carplay implementation and the headunit. Some people have reported an improvement in audio quality when using bluetooth, instead of a wired connection. If it's quality you're after put your FLACs directly on the head unit and dump carplay.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”