Media Indexing Improvements

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
erpol
Trainee
Trainee

Media Indexing Improvements

Unread post by erpol » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:40 am

I think that a very significant number of Diskstation owners are using it like me to access and stream their media: photos, music and videos.
This access is based on the correct indexing of the relevant files, so am I the only one who thinks the implementation and features of this function are really **too** basic in DSM, and somewhat ruining the otherwise great functionality of the media applications? Just 3 examples:

- There is absolutely no feedback on the progress of the indexing process, you have no idea what's going on.
- There is no way of indexing specific folders - if you re-index, it will go through all the existing files of every type again, taking sometimes days.
- Except in Video station, there is no way of indexing only newly added files - the indexing will rebuild the whole database, every time.

So here are my improvement requests, sorted by order of importance in my opinion. They are all available in competing media management systems, nothing outlandish here!
Please second these requests so we can get Synology moving on this:

1) Be able to specify searching only for newly added files, without rebuilding the whole index.
2) Be able to choose specific folders for re-indexing.
3) Provide visual feedback (%, progress bar) on the indexing progress.
4) Eventually, display the name of the file being indexed

I hope this request gets the proper attention from Synology. Thanks for any help.

RP

polanat
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Media Indexing Improvements

Unread post by polanat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 am

erpol wrote:
I hope this request gets the proper attention from Synology. Thanks for any help.

RP
No, you are not right - you should submit a "feature suggestion" form:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/form/inquiry/feature
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U

erpol
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by erpol » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:28 am

I did that as well, I filled out the form - did read the box at the top of the page, although their link is broken.

But if I'm not mistaken the title of this forum is "Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions", so I don't see why I should be "wrong" to post what's obviously a feature request & improvement suggestion in it?

I there are enough replies to this post, I DO hope that Synology will look at it!

RP

polanat
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by polanat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 am

erpol wrote:I did that as well, I filled out the form - did read the box at the top of the page, although their link is broken.
ОК!
erpol wrote:But if I'm not mistaken the title of this forum is "Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions", so I don't see why I should be "wrong" to post what's obviously a feature request & improvement suggestion in it?
This is mostly for the internal discussion - other words - to collaborate, shape you thoughts, wording, etc ...
erpol wrote:I there are enough replies to this post, I DO hope that Synology will look at itRP
Believe me - in this case a Synology rep should submit the form based on the number of "+1" replies - this is how their system works, sorry ((
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U

RoboScorpion
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by RoboScorpion » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:53 pm

I completely agree - Media Indexing does need improving. Indexing several terabytes just to fix a few problematic thumbnails is not great!

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”