iOS 11 File App Integration with Synology

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
fumi
Beginner
Beginner

Re: iOS 11 File App Integration with Synology

Unread post by fumi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Jamesflapflap wrote:Done! Make sure “DS file” is installed/updated, open the iOS file app, select the other “...” option under locations, turn on DS File, enjoy
That is not an integration. It will only happen when Synology issue an update through the iOS App Store. You're misleading people. Currently, DS File only works as a share sheet in the Files app.

X23YG
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by X23YG » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:46 am

fumi wrote:
Jamesflapflap wrote:Done! Make sure “DS file” is installed/updated, open the iOS file app, select the other “...” option under locations, turn on DS File, enjoy
That is not an integration. It will only happen when Synology issue an update through the iOS App Store. You're misleading people. Currently, DS File only works as a share sheet in the Files app.

Exactly. This is NOT a true integration. This is only what iOS automatically does: Showing all types of file management applications in the finder app so you can open them sort of in-app to access files. Integration would enable moving and renaming files, create folders etc and it would work without opening DS-file within the finder app as it does right now.

fumi
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by fumi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:52 am

As far as I am aware, the only companies that currently offer true integration are:

Apple iCloud (Obviously)
Box
Adobe (Creative Cloud)
Dropbox
Google Drive
Documents (A third party app owned by Readdle)

I've heard Baidu also has support but I don't have any of their apps installed.

Microsoft One Drive also only offers a share sheet (a pane that overlays the iOS file app).

BogusDude
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by BogusDude » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 am

I too was hoping to see the Synology DS Cloud and DS File apps work natively in iOS11 File app. When I saw the announcement for the new Synology "Drive" app, I figured that Synology might build in support of the iOS File app into it instead. I installed the Beta Drive software on my disk station and iPad but can say that the new Drive app is not supported at all (not even as well as the old DS Cloud app). In addition the new "Drive" app on iOS is missing major functionality that was in DS Cloud, namely offline storage. I look forward to the day the I can use iOS File to access my DiskStation.

andig
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by andig » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Same for me, still waiting for iOS11 files integration. For me, this will decide whether I upgrade my old DS212j to a DS718+ or whether I switch to a self-build NAS and use WebDAV/SFTP.

BogusDude
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by BogusDude » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:40 pm

The iOS Drive app was updated recently. Looks like it now supports iOS file app as good as the DS cloud app did/does. That is via a pop up window. So not quit full integration. The Drive app still does not support offline storage. Seems both missing features could be resolved with full files integration.

fumi
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by fumi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:35 pm

BogusDude wrote:The iOS Drive app was updated recently. Looks like it now supports iOS file app as good as the DS cloud app did/does. That is via a pop up window. So not quit full integration. The Drive app still does not support offline storage. Seems both missing features could be resolved with full files integration.
Don't really understand the purpose of this post. Nothing has changed since iOS 11 was introduced. Absolutely nothing.

BogusDude
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by BogusDude » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:19 am

Absolutely nothing changed except version 1.1.0 of Synology Drive was released about a week ago. :?

Ipaduser
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Ipaduser » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 pm

Same here. Still waiting for DS File iOS 11 update. Years ago Synology updated their apps quite quickly - now it seems that DS File is quite outdated. The implementation of Share options is non-existend, no IOS files app integration, no multitasking options. It is quite a hazzle to download a folder from a Synology box to my iPad. I have to go through The readle Documents app (i.e adding The Synology shared folders as smb shares in The app).

SYNOLOGY - GO IN FRONT AND MAKE DS FILE ROCK AGAIN :D

GadgetComa
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by GadgetComa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:27 pm

I've been hoping for some kind of file management app that integrates with the iOS 11 Files app for awhile. I hope Synology addresses this, but in the meantime, I've found FileBrowser by Stratospherix Ltd. It supports WebDAV, FTP, SMB, AFP, and a number of cloud services. It provides true integration with the iOS 11 Files app. At $5.99, it's not the cheapest option, but I'm not averse to spending money for quality apps. Given the current void left by Synology, I find it's the best option. I discovered this from Federico Viticci's review of replacements for Panic Software's now discontinued Transmit app.

whitedragon101
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by whitedragon101 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:49 pm

GadgetComa wrote:I've been hoping for some kind of file management app that integrates with the iOS 11 Files app for awhile. I hope Synology addresses this, but in the meantime, I've found FileBrowser by Stratospherix Ltd. It supports WebDAV, FTP, SMB, AFP, and a number of cloud services. It provides true integration with the iOS 11 Files app. At $5.99, it's not the cheapest option, but I'm not averse to spending money for quality apps. Given the current void left by Synology, I find it's the best option. I discovered this from Federico Viticci's review of replacements for Panic Software's now discontinued Transmit app.
Thanks so much.

Wow !! This app is awesome, really puts DSFile to shame.

Certainly solved my problem of being able to use IOS11 drag and drop files from/to my NAS and into apps directly. These are the kind of apps that need to be stickied to the top of the app store. Either that or just have a leaflet in every Synology NAS box.
way

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”