iOS 11 File App Integration with Synology

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
fumi
Beginner
Beginner

Re: iOS 11 File App Integration with Synology

Postby fumi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Jamesflapflap wrote:Done! Make sure “DS file” is installed/updated, open the iOS file app, select the other “...” option under locations, turn on DS File, enjoy

That is not an integration. It will only happen when Synology issue an update through the iOS App Store. You're misleading people. Currently, DS File only works as a share sheet in the Files app.
X23YG
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby X23YG » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:46 am

fumi wrote:
Jamesflapflap wrote:Done! Make sure “DS file” is installed/updated, open the iOS file app, select the other “...” option under locations, turn on DS File, enjoy

That is not an integration. It will only happen when Synology issue an update through the iOS App Store. You're misleading people. Currently, DS File only works as a share sheet in the Files app.

Exactly. This is NOT a true integration. This is only what iOS automatically does: Showing all types of file management applications in the finder app so you can open them sort of in-app to access files. Integration would enable moving and renaming files, create folders etc and it would work without opening DS-file within the finder app as it does right now.
fumi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fumi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:52 am

As far as I am aware, the only companies that currently offer true integration are:

Apple iCloud (Obviously)
Box
Adobe (Creative Cloud)
Dropbox
Google Drive
Documents (A third party app owned by Readdle)

I've heard Baidu also has support but I don't have any of their apps installed.

Microsoft One Drive also only offers a share sheet (a pane that overlays the iOS file app).
BogusDude
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby BogusDude » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 am

I too was hoping to see the Synology DS Cloud and DS File apps work natively in iOS11 File app. When I saw the announcement for the new Synology "Drive" app, I figured that Synology might build in support of the iOS File app into it instead. I installed the Beta Drive software on my disk station and iPad but can say that the new Drive app is not supported at all (not even as well as the old DS Cloud app). In addition the new "Drive" app on iOS is missing major functionality that was in DS Cloud, namely offline storage. I look forward to the day the I can use iOS File to access my DiskStation.
andig
Beginner
Beginner

Postby andig » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Same for me, still waiting for iOS11 files integration. For me, this will decide whether I upgrade my old DS212j to a DS718+ or whether I switch to a self-build NAS and use WebDAV/SFTP.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”