iOS 11 File App Integration with Synology

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
TexMexDex
I'm New!
I'm New!

iOS 11 File App Integration with Synology

Postby TexMexDex » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:28 pm

I'm just putting out a wishlist item for Synology to integrate DiskStation access into the newly announced Apple iOS 11 Files app that will allow for file access directly through their "file system". It seems to me that would enable a smooth transition through multiple apps for file access. Any thoughts or insights if this is likely?
Sandoz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: iOS 11 File App Integration with Synology

Postby Sandoz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:40 pm

That would be really great indeed!
Geky
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Geky » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:05 pm

TexMexDex wrote:I'm just putting out a wishlist item for Synology to integrate DiskStation access into the newly announced Apple iOS 11 Files app that will allow for file access directly through their "file system". It seems to me that would enable a smooth transition through multiple apps for file access. Any thoughts or insights if this is likely?

You are assuming that the iOS11 files app is more than a local files browser and that it can be run over a file sharing protocal over a local network or even the internet
While this is possible its not a certainty.
Even if its possbile, why would Synology ditch its own DS file app and develop a plugin for the iOS11 files app?
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Geky wrote:
TexMexDex wrote:I'm just putting out a wishlist item for Synology to integrate DiskStation access into the newly announced Apple iOS 11 Files app that will allow for file access directly through their "file system". It seems to me that would enable a smooth transition through multiple apps for file access. Any thoughts or insights if this is likely?

You are assuming that the iOS11 files app is more than a local files browser and that it can be run over a file sharing protocal over a local network or even the internet
Even if its possbile, why would Synology ditch its own DS file app and develop a plugin for the iOS11 files app?

It depend on how this app work. If Apple control with no API (Apple just use 3rd party API for cloud) then Synology not likely use app. If it more open and maybe it just use application on your phone with compatible API then why not? I do doubt that generic service like SMB, FTP, WebDAV, etc, support, but we see. This thread made 2 early.
X23YG
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby X23YG » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Geky wrote:

Technically it seems to be definitively possible. Other third party companies already announced integration in iOS 11, such as Cortado: http://www.zdnet.de/88300923/ios-11-cor ... eiservern/

I hope Synology will do as well!
caleb.mcdonald
Novice
Novice

Postby caleb.mcdonald » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 am

Yes! +1 on this feature. This would be amazing. I would love to be able to access my personal DS cloud from the Files app on iOS 11
DS1512+ w/ LACP (5 x 3TB WD RED HDD's), MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Late-2014), iMac 24" (2007), [New] Apple TV (32GB), iPad (3rd Gen), iPhone 6S Plus 128GB
bornables@gmail.com
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bornables@gmail.com » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:05 pm

BIG 1+!
Without it Synology is getting behind...
dants
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby dants » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:18 pm

YES please!!!
ummario
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ummario » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Hello.

I'm trying iOS 11, and using new apple Files app, and yes we can manage files on DS Cloud within Files app.... but... when I make a change on the file i'm working with, i need to open the iOS DS Cloud app in order to perform the sync with the Synology server. If I don't open the DS Cloud app it seems not to sync.

Well it's a beginning, because we can manage files from the Files app, but it's so annoying that we need to open the DS Cloud app to perform the sync...
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:24 am

ummario wrote:Hello.

I'm trying iOS 11, and using new apple Files app, and yes we can manage files on DS Cloud within Files app.... but... when I make a change on the file i'm working with, i need to open the iOS DS Cloud app in order to perform the sync with the Synology server. If I don't open the DS Cloud app it seems not to sync.

Well it's a beginning, because we can manage files from the Files app, but it's so annoying that we need to open the DS Cloud app to perform the sync...

u try ds file instead of syncing app?
ummario
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ummario » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:16 am

sincarne wrote:

Actually I tried it yesterday after I wrote the above in this forum, and yes using DS File actually updates the file in the server... which is good, but strange at the same time. I noticed as well that the behaviour of opening the file from DS file is different from opening it with DS cloud. When opening the file from Ds file (a apple numbers file in this case) I see briefly 'downloading'. But after the file is open in apple numbers, I modify it and when I close numbers, the file updates in the server.

I just don't understand why this does not happen with Ds cloud. But for sure using Ds file is a nice workaround.
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:25 pm

ummario wrote:
sincarne wrote:

Actually I tried it yesterday after I wrote the above in this forum, and yes using DS File actually updates the file in the server... which is good, but strange at the same time. I noticed as well that the behaviour of opening the file from DS file is different from opening it with DS cloud. When opening the file from Ds file (a apple numbers file in this case) I see briefly 'downloading'. But after the file is open in apple numbers, I modify it and when I close numbers, the file updates in the server.

I just don't understand why this does not happen with Ds cloud. But for sure using Ds file is a nice workaround.

that not workaround that what you do. ds cloud is sync app not file browse app. ds cloud not same thing as mobile version of google drive y dropbox. mobile version of those app no have sync. they browse file like ds file. dropbox and google drive desktop are what sync.
yadavhemmady
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby yadavhemmady » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:38 pm

It would indeed be very useful to have iOS 11 Files integration. As of now both DS Cloud and DS Files are shown as document providers in the left pane (places) of the Files app. This is where you will find Dropbox, Google Drive and other cloud storage providers. The apps shown as document providers are supposed to integrate into the Files app ultimately by the service providers.
I would therefore request Synology to also provide for the integration as and when Apple makes it posssible to do so. If possible, there should also be a sync option between other document and cloud service providers in the Files app and Synology NAS
gdgudmundson
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby gdgudmundson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:29 am

I would love to see both DS Cloud and DS File integrated with the files app in iOS 11! It is nice to use DS Cloud when I need to be offline or behind a firewall that doesn’t allow access.
numanmania
Beginner
Beginner

Postby numanmania » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Waiting for the integration with iOS11 Files, Dropbox is ready now, need DSFiles asap!! ;)

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”