Synology router feature requests

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
thetfo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Synology router feature requests

Unread post by thetfo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:05 am

guyguy wrote:I would like to request the following features.

1. Web Browser- I would like a fully functional web browser to be added as a feature. If I need to check on a site, I could copy and paste the link within the router itself and site comes up. Please add a web browser.

2. Network Map- It would be nice if the router could see the other computers on the network regardless of the connection. If there was a network map or network neighborhood or some way the router could discover computers on the same network and display the name of the computer. I know the router can broadcast itself on the network and other computers can see it.

3. Notifications- I know this feature does exist but it doesn't include device notifications. I would like to get an instant notification (email, text) when someone tries to join the wireless. I would like to know John's iPod has joined the wireless or Mary's laptop has joined the wireless. Please improve the notification system.

These are a few features I would like to request to be added or the feature needs improvement.
I really really want device notifications.

guyguy
Student
Student

Unread post by guyguy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Since the 2600ac router lacks some features, I had to buy a Fing Box to make up for those lacking features. The Fing Box provides a Digital Fence and DEVICE NOTIFICATION. I didn't want to spend 99 dollars on another device but Synology needs to bring these features to the 2600ac router. I have requested these and other features in the next SRM update. I haven't seen any NEW features added in a while. For now, I am happy with the Fing Box.

an-ebkac
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by an-ebkac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:30 am

Ability to disable Button/switch (WPS, Wi-Fi On/Off) in software.
I had planned to use the R2600ac at our remote sites (less than 6 people per site). Unformately each site is a construction crew. So buttons get pushed.
The wifi button does NOT behave physically like the on/off power button. I would love to disable the wifi/wps buttons/switches such that they are useless.
I need a better way than just tape, and some metal/plastic to prevent the button from getting pressed. Really awesome router. However until these buttons can be dealt with, I have to buy another brand.
Why the heck is WPS so important??? Never used it, never will.

bricemcintosh
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by bricemcintosh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Would love to see some packages available, like the following:

Docker
Office
Photo Station
Moments

guyguy
Student
Student

Unread post by guyguy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 pm

I have requested device notification many many times already to be added to SRM as a new feature. It hasn't happened yet. Another feature I would like to request is ROUTER notifications. It would be nice to get an immediate notification that the ROUTER is offline. I do have email notification configured on the server but I don't get any emails regarding any alerts about the server. I can't setup SMS so there has to be a better notification system with this router.

itGeeks
Rookie
Rookie

Synology Router RT2600AC Feature Request

Unread post by itGeeks » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Could you please add more quest groups that we can assign different sub-nets to? With the increasing number of IoT devices in our house I would like to segment groups of IoT wireless devices on there own sub-net away from my main network and guest network. I hope you understand what I am asking for and why we need this added to the router.

itGeeks
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by itGeeks » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:59 pm

guyguy wrote:I have requested device notification many many times already to be added to SRM as a new feature. It hasn't happened yet. Another feature I would like to request is ROUTER notifications. It would be nice to get an immediate notification that the ROUTER is offline. I do have email notification configured on the server but I don't get any emails regarding any alerts about the server. I can't setup SMS so there has to be a better notification system with this router.
Not that long ago I wanted that also but my want quickly came to an end when I thought about. If the router is offline how is it going to send that notification?

itGeeks
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by itGeeks » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 pm

Mulat wrote:I would like to propose several improvements:

1. Add nslookup or dig in Network Tools
2. Add a speed Test in Network Tools
3. Add a check box "DNS resolve" in Traceroute
4. Add Link Aggregation
5. Improve perfomance when Intrusion Prevension is enabled (now the speed is a half of normal speed)
6. Add more ethernet ports to the new model
7. Add a possibility to manage all synology routers in LAN from one master router
8. Provide a possibility to view websites that where blocked by Web-Filter, how many times these web sites were blocked and which hosts tried to open them
I am seeing lots of great ideas here, I wan't to add I would like to see more SSID's supported. Min of three but four would be awesome, With the rise in wireless IoT devices I would like to segment out my network more, This would allow us to keep things like wireless cameras in one sub-net and guest in another and primary wireless in another. Also a big +1 for Vlan support.

p3dr0
I'm New!
I'm New!

Optimization for nVidia Game Streaming from PC

Unread post by p3dr0 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:05 pm

It would be very nice if you will add optimization for nVidia Game Streaming in your routers. I have RT2600AC and nVidia Shield TV and local game streaming from my PC is almost good using 5 GHz wi-fi. Normally my PC and Shield TV are connected to router using 5 GHz wi-fi connection with very strong signal level. Additionally I temporarily set up wired connection between my PC and Shield TV and game streaming was worse than by wi-fi. I tried set up QoS rule for Shield TV device for active application and I didn't find nothing related with nvidia process. There is only 'Unknown' application but I don't know if it is something responsible for a game streaming.

Thank you in advance.

johngilberts
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: RT2600AC Inter-VLAN Routing Setup on LAN Ports

Unread post by johngilberts » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 am

jorge_rui wrote:
circle69 wrote:
whowe82 wrote:We would like to request that in a future release of the router software that you include inter-vlan routing and vlan tagging on the LAN ports of the router.
+1 from Spain.

We are thinking to buy the rt2600ac for our office but we need a vlan capable device for managing guests network and office network. As I can see there is no GUI option available.
This would be great, dual WAN + vlan tagging would be a definitive combo to soho/SMB customer to buy this incredible router.

Looking forward to read it soon!
+1 from Portugal

Without this the router is getting behind the close competitors... C'mon Synology make it happen, it is not so hard, since this possibility is available on the command line via ssh, or just make a tutorial on how to configure and make that persistent after reboots.
I'd really like to see this great feature added very soon to make this super router even better.
+1 from Western Australia

TerryBr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by TerryBr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:55 pm

I would like the Up/Down internet access rates currently only visible graphically to be available as logged data to be accessed / transferable to a spreadsheet as evidence against my IP and BT.

Terry B, Northumberland

Yopo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Yopo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:02 am

Would be great to have IPv6 compatible with the Flets protocol for Japan:
https://www.iij.ad.jp/en/dev/tech/ipv6/flets/

Asus already implemented this on their routers. Synology users in Japan would then be able to IPv6 from their ISP.

byrlindi
I'm New!
I'm New!

WireGuard for SRM!

Unread post by byrlindi » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Hello Synology forum. I have recently purchased a RT1900AC and I am very happy with it, but I think there is one thing you could do to make it even better.
It would be great if you could support WireGuard (https://www.wireguard.com/), it is a new VPN implementation that is much more lightweight than OpenVPN. This would allow users to encrypt more bandwidth using less CPU horsepower. :)

Thank you for reading my suggestion and I hope you can find the time to implement it soon!

grunt69
I'm New!
I'm New!

Router: combined MAC address time limit

Unread post by grunt69 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:32 am

Hello, I would love to see a feature where I can restrict my kid's internet access to a total time of three hours regardless of the device they use. This could be done bij setting such a limit to a group of MAC addresses. This would be a unique feature to your router and would please many parents. Hope you can implement this, I would buy the 2600ac in a heartbeat. :wink:

QWERTYUIOPYOZO
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by QWERTYUIOPYOZO » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:16 am

Hi,
I just got an rt2600ac and I LOVE it! Thank you for putting so much effort into SRM, the experience is awesome.
One thing I would really like to see come either built in or as a package would be a HTTP server similar to Apache HTTPD.
If not, then at least a tool that would let me map a local IP address to a domain name (eg. 192.168.1.20 to www.example.com) so I can at least use a spare computer as a server for my local network.
With this feature, it would be cool to also be able to create network login pages that open when you connect to the network, which prevent you from accessing the LAN and WAN until you log in, so that if I were to buy a Synology router for a small business I could set up a guest wifi network that has a username and password for every client.
Thanks for your continued development of SRM.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”