Synology router feature requests

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback
Rsmith7
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Synology router feature requests

Postby Rsmith7 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Request Synology add the ability to see active connections. If you have UPnP turned on, you can see the clients who have opened ports but when off you are unable to see any co nection.

This would be a great addition to an already great router.
TheLexus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby TheLexus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:02 am

Hello everyone,

i aks in another post but maybe its better to post it at this thread:

i've purchased a RT2600 and i'm very impressed. Good router at all and fantastic UI as uasually. But i have found one missing feature:

I use a EAP WLAN Auth even at home because of some reasons, but there is one problem with that. Many (if not nearly all) SOHO devices without user interaction are only support WAP/WAP2 Auth and not EAP. With my last router is solved this by configuring a second SSID with different authentication but same network as the main wifi.

Because the RT2600 does not have a Multi-SSID feature i tried to solve it by creating a guest network with WAP2 auth. That works partly, because i can now connect these devices to the internt, but i cannot access them from the main network. Even with the "Allow local network access for the guest network" feature it isnt working directly. The reason for this is not a networking issue it is more a consumer devices problem because they only scan there local network for devices (like my mobile is scanning for my Harmony Remote Hub, mobile in main network and HRH in guest).

To Summarize: My Feature request would be Multi-SSID Support with the possibility for different authentication methods.

Thank you, Bye!
Malaquias
Novice
Novice

VLAN tagging on the WAN ports of the RT2600ac router

Postby Malaquias » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:22 pm

I just bought my company a RT2600ac router. This router is awesome, and the prospec of running the same OS on my server and on my router is great.
However, I found a fatal flaw, and I will probably have to return the router because of such a small detail.
My ISP provides me with a fiber connection and a fixed IP address. However, they also state that I need to tag all my WAN traffic with VLAN 20.
Now, I could surmise that the RT2600ac supports VLANs on its LAN ports. It just calls them VID (VLAN ID ??? )
But I cannot find a way to configure a VLAN for my WAN traffic. I even thought of buying a managed switch with VLAN support to direct the traffic from VLAN 20 to the normal VLAN, but it shouldn't be necessary to go to such great lengths, should it? Why can't the SRM just implement VLAN configuration in the WAN definitions?
Soret
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Soret » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:00 pm

4 days ago I purchased a Synology RT1900AC router, and I'm very satisfied with the product. I'm a university student and I recently found a very handy tool on the Synology Disk Station series, the Note Station which really become an all time favourite not taking application for myself, I tried the demo and I was amazed by the versatility of the product. The only issue I had was that there was no offline version as an application and it is not available on the Synology Router, even though I think it would be fairly simple to implement it into the router for users. It would really help me with note taking and many other people would possibly enjoy it too.

I would really support a new improved Note Station's development to allow users to create offline notes and sync them directly to their Disk Station or their Router Station, this would be a very handy option for us all. Please consider it.
guyguy
Novice
Novice

Postby guyguy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:33 am

I have the rt2600ac and it is my first Synology product. Overall, I like this router compared to Linksys, Asus and *no good terrible* Netgear. However, I think that Synology could have their homework and released better firmware with A LOT of features to compete with the competition. As I said, I have tested Linksys 1900ac, Asus 68u and the dreadful Netgear Nighthawk r8000 and so far, in my opinion, I like the Asus 68u and provides a lot of features. I wish Synology provided a lot of features right from the start. In comparison to the other routers, Synology is good and fast but lacks in some basic features that every home router should come with.

Below is the list of features that should have been included and/or should be added to this rotuer.

1) Web History- This is a basic feature that comes with Asus routers. In fact, Asus routers have Traffic analyzer as well. Please include some type of web history feature to view the activity of EACH device both wired and wireless. I want to view which sites EACH device is hitting. It would nice to know if it is HTTP, HTTPs or an App that is being used to access the site(s).

2) Block Sites- I know this feature already does exist but it needs improvement. I would like to be able to block HTTP, HTTPs and Keyword. Also, I would like to block Apps as this seems to be the best way ignore any restriction or blocks set on the device. Just go through the App to access Youtube or FB or some other site. I should not have to clear the browser cache in order for the block to take affect.

3) DS Router App- I know this App already has some features but it needs improvement. I need to be able to view the web history, block sites, set time schedule, view traffic information, rename devices (if needed), etc.... Again, this App has some of the named features but it lacks in other features that are not there.

4) Time Schedule- I know this feature already does exist with the router. I notice if you start to watch a video or movie, you can hit PAUSE and let the video buffer and continue with video AFTER the time schedule has been enforced and the device is blocked from access. It would nice if there is a way on the router to prevent this little trick from working. This is common issue with mostly all home routers.

The above list is a few basic and important features which Synology needs to add or improve on. Some of the features are there but need to tweaking and need improvement. While other features don't seem to exist for some reason. Web history should have been included as a feature both on the App and router right from the start. That is a no-brainer and I don't know why Synology didn't think so.

I hope that Synology reads feedback and listens to the users, unlike Netgear who don't give a crap about there customers and please consider the users suggestions.
SHW0FF
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: VLAN tagging on the WAN ports of the RT2600ac router

Postby SHW0FF » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:28 pm

Sounds like you have old Firmware? Update the Firmware to latest and check. The Synology routers do support VLAN Tagging on WAN :)
nac6
Beginner
Beginner

Postby nac6 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:25 am

I have the older rt1900ac and it has vlan tagging. So the rt2600ac should.
logicisme
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby logicisme » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:49 am

Please add to the available selections of blacklists under the web filter an option to block all of the windows and other program telemetry urls. I would be willing to bet that this would be the first router that supports it and that would be a huge selling feature for those that are security minded.
guyguy
Novice
Novice

Postby guyguy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:06 pm

It is funny there is 20 thousand views on this post and is Synology taking all of the requests seriously? Do they read our feedback? Unlike Netgear who doesn't give a crap about the users and who doesn't read the Feature Requests who bought there 300 dollar crappy router, I hope Synology is paying attention to the users who submit requests for new or improved features.

Come on, Synology, where is the SRM update?
benjibarnicals
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby benjibarnicals » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:31 pm

guyguy wrote:It is funny there is 20 thousand views on this post and is Synology taking all of the requests seriously? Do they read our feedback? Unlike Netgear who doesn't give a crap about the users and who doesn't read the Feature Requests who bought there 300 dollar crappy router, I hope Synology is paying attention to the users who submit requests for new or improved features.

Come on, Synology, where is the SRM update?

Bare in mind this is a community forum, while Synology representatives may peruse the threads they don't necessarily use this all the time or keep tabs on request threads. You should use their official feature request form (https://www.synology.com/en-uk/form/inquiry/feature) which is more beneficial as this will contact Synology directly.

Having said that when I've mentioned bugs before in their OS I have had Synology contact me direct before!
guyguy
Novice
Novice

Postby guyguy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:08 pm

I understand that Synology doesn't read the community forums. Everyone should use the official request form. We are all talking to each other about what Synology should do but that will not change anything unless people don't officially report it. I just sent my requests in to them.
ziqpy
Trainee
Trainee

RT2600ac device list.

Postby ziqpy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:25 pm

I would like to see and suggest, that in the device list, you are able to set names.

Some devices do no broadcast ident name and would be great to be able to manually assign a name to the device.
ziqpy
Trainee
Trainee

RT2600ac CPU temperature

Postby ziqpy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Suggest CPU temperature under, Network center > Status > CPU
Babylonia
Ace
Ace

Postby Babylonia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:02 am

WiFi MAC-filtering:

Today options within SRM:

As a request, extra options to implement (the image speaks for itself):
As for sorting columns, when sorting at Main WiFi group (Guest WiFi etc.) and you want a part sorting of the Description as well,
sorting to Description column first, and as a second sort action, push the Main WiFi column (Guest WiFi etc. ).

(As a side-note to other users. I send in a feature request to Synology directly by he official request form, but copy the URL of my message to Synology within that form).
-
Malaquias
Novice
Novice

Postby Malaquias » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 pm

SHW0FF wrote:Sounds like you have old Firmware? Update the Firmware to latest and check. The Synology routers do support VLAN Tagging on WAN :)

Hi
I only found anything related to VLAN tagging on the IPTV configurations for the LAN, and even there they called it VID, but it seemed to be the same thing.

But, for the life of me, I can't find any mention of VLAN or VID in the WAN configuration:

Any help would be great!

Malaquias

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”