Synology router feature requests

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
guyguy
Novice
Novice

Re: Synology router feature requests

Postby guyguy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:08 pm

I would like to request a feature to be added in the next update.

It would be great to view a running log of the actual sites a device is hitting OR to click on the device and view the current sites along with time stamp. I know a user can view "live traffic" per device but that only shows it in numbers of upload and download. I want to take it a step further and view the sites of any device in realtime. I know this feature is partially there by viewing the past 24 hrs of Domain or Device. I believe Asus routers have this feature built-in where you can view the traffic in realtime per device as well as view the history of each device.

For example, I want to see what sites John is visiting on his laptop. If I go to Monitor page, all I can see is the traffic his laptop and other devices are generating. I can't see the actual sites he is visiting in realtime. All I see is the bar graph going up and down. If I click on his device, I get a box to change the color of the graph.
The_Skippy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The_Skippy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Please, please include the "On Battery / Off Battery" alerts (when connected to an APC via USB) in the next update for the routers.

You already have the alert in the NAS OS. It can;t be that much work to throw it in the Router OS.
Yippym
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Yippym » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 pm

CPU temp display
    Reporting tool need to refine data
    example Traffic of upload and download should also include which port usage, if someone is hosting several website how do you know which HTTP or HTTPS from which device is hogging traffic?
    Needs to separate data hourly/minutes of each device connection, not just the whole day.
    LetEncrypt support, ability to update certificate to different Synology device and output the files to shared folders with no dynamic filename to link dockers correctly.
RT2600ac
DS218+ 16GB RAM (2* Crucial CT102464BF160B)
RS3412RPxs 32GB RAM (4* Kingston KVR16LE11/8) upgraded CPU to E3-1260L :)
RS815+ 16GB RAM (2* Crucial CT102464BF160B)
Sold - RS2211RP+ 3GB RAM (1GB Default + 1* Kingston KVR667D2S5K2)
Nsowon
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Nsowon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:09 am

Given you sell so many NAS boxes to CHina, a Shadowsocks VPN client would be a useful addition to the package centre.

So many Chinese sites giving steps to create a package, SSH, download this/that etc. Could you not simply make a package? It's all open source, apparently.

Shadowsocks has consistently been the best and most reliable VPN protocol here in China.

I lack the skills to do it myself, but it would certainly be popular.
barddzen
Novice
Novice

Postby barddzen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Do your media players on FIOS still work? Don't you need something to convert ethernet to COAX and pull the guides? I still have my Quantum plugged into the Synology so it can do the Ethernet->COAX and pull guides, but it does little else as far as I can tell.
guyguy
Novice
Novice

Postby guyguy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:09 pm

I purchased a device called Fingbox to try it out. I spent $99 dollars which was on sale normally $129. This Fingbox has features that Synology RT2600ac doesn't have which is sad. For example, the Fingbox has a feature called Digital Fence which shows all devices in the area or range of the Fingbox. As long as the wifi is enabled on the device, the Digital Fence will see it and give the signal strength. It will show the IP and MAC address of the device. Another feature is the Fingbox provides device notification again something else not found in the 2600 router.

These are just some of the features found in Fingbox that is lacking in the 2600 router. The Synology router is more expensive than Fingbox but Fingbox has more features than Synology router. Go figure. Come on Synology what is taking so long to include a feature like Digital Fence or something similar to that in SRM. What about device notifications. I have been asking for this feature for a long time.

It is sad that I have to purchase another device like the Fingbox which includes features that I have been asking for Synology to include in the SRM. I understand requests take time fulfill and Synology is working on security issues but I would like to see NEW features included in SRM updates.

I like the 2600 router but it lacks in basic features such as device notification and something like Digital Fence.
circle69
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: RT2600AC Inter-VLAN Routing Setup on LAN Ports

Postby circle69 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:10 pm

whowe82 wrote:We would like to request that in a future release of the router software that you include inter-vlan routing and vlan tagging on the LAN ports of the router.

+1 from Spain.

We are thinking to buy the rt2600ac for our office but we need a vlan capable device for managing guests network and office network. As I can see there is no GUI option available.
This would be great, dual WAN + vlan tagging would be a definitive combo to soho/SMB customer to buy this incredible router.

Looking forward to read it soon!
Zanthexter
I'm New!
I'm New!

WWan and Android USB Tethering

Postby Zanthexter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:17 am

It's 2017.

Why does Synology not support Android USB tethering? I shouldn't have to buy an approved special dongle when I can just plug a phone in and share the phones LTE connection.

Better, why does Synology not support wireless WAN? Connecting to WiFi for internet, not bridging? Whether it's a phone, a tablet, iOS, Android, a neighbors hotspot or heck even the Starbucks across the street, this seems like such an obvious thing to be supported. It's commonly done in "travel routers" for sharing hotel WiFi. It's in DDWRT and Tomato.

Where it would really be useful would be small businesses. Set WiFi WAN as backup with the SSID and password. Internet goes down. Owner/manager turns on their cellphone hotspot and internet is back up credit cards can be processed and little to no technical skill is required of management. Would love to have the same functionality at home during a cable internet outage.

Hopefully it'll at least be considered.
whiteguard
I'm New!
I'm New!

SRM VPN Plus feature request. Individual ACL per user/user group

Postby whiteguard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:00 pm

There is a VPN Plus on my RT2600ac. It works great. But significant feature is currently missing. Any company has users connecting with different permission level: administrators, users, contractors, customers, etc. It would be great if in VPN Plus application I could configure individual ACL (packet filters) for users or user groups who have right to use VPN service. For example administrator group - permit any, for users - permit 10.0.1.0/24 and deny everything else, etc. Currently we can use built-in firewall but it is not possible to divide administrators from users there - everyone share same subnet.
jorge_rui
Beginner
Beginner

Re: RT2600AC Inter-VLAN Routing Setup on LAN Ports

Postby jorge_rui » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 pm

circle69 wrote:
whowe82 wrote:We would like to request that in a future release of the router software that you include inter-vlan routing and vlan tagging on the LAN ports of the router.

+1 from Spain.

We are thinking to buy the rt2600ac for our office but we need a vlan capable device for managing guests network and office network. As I can see there is no GUI option available.
This would be great, dual WAN + vlan tagging would be a definitive combo to soho/SMB customer to buy this incredible router.

Looking forward to read it soon!

+1 from Portugal

Without this the router is getting behind the close competitors... C'mon Synology make it happen, it is not so hard, since this possibility is available on the command line via ssh, or just make a tutorial on how to configure and make that persistent after reboots.
tz9ZzxrfU8uW
I'm New!
I'm New!

RT2600AC Synology VPN Plus Server

Postby tz9ZzxrfU8uW » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 pm

The Synology VPN service has two missing features that keep me from buying multiple routers and additional licenses to use for business:

-Two Factor, Two Factor, Two Factor. It can be optionally be required for all users to log in, but it does not currently apply to Synology VPN in VPN Plus Server! This is an absolute must.
-The admin account can't be disabled or renamed from "admin". And it always has VPN access enabled in the permissions section of VPN Plus Server.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”