Synology router feature requests

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
jpdalamar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Synology router feature requests

Unread post by jpdalamar » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:34 pm

I would desperately like an easily configurable monthly bandwidth/traffic counter.

More and more people (like me) now have data caps imposed by their ISP's. While the traffic monitoring on my RT2600AC is generally excellent, the ability to choose a date, an amount of data, and count down as data is uploaded and downloaded by the router would make life so much easier.

EG: on the first of the month, reset my data allowance to 1 Terabyte and count down towards 0 MB as data is used.

Having this as a feature would be a good selling point as the other manufacturers either lack a bandwidth counter entirely or are artificially limited (Netgear routers can count down from a max of 999,999 MB.)

guyguy
Student
Student

Unread post by guyguy » Wed May 16, 2018 4:07 pm

I have a request, SRM updates? The last update was 1.1.6-6931 Update 3 back in February. I guess the programmers are on a long vacation or doing something else. I guess Synology ran out of ideas. Perhaps the router business was not good for them.

Shadow771
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by Shadow771 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:53 pm

guyguy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:07 pm
I have a request, SRM updates? The last update was 1.1.6-6931 Update 3 back in February. I guess the programmers are on a long vacation or doing something else. I guess Synology ran out of ideas. Perhaps the router business was not good for them.
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 5&t=142307

Depends on your point of view. Having many updates in a short period of time doesn't have to be a positive thing.
Synology DS216+II <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> <site-to-site VPN tunnel> <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> Synology DS118

guyguy
Student
Student

Unread post by guyguy » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Shadow771 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:53 pm
guyguy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:07 pm
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 5&t=142307

Depends on your point of view. Having many updates in a short period of time doesn't have to be a positive thing.
Well, they were putting out almost monthly updates then suddenly it stops. A long period of time and no updates can be a negative thing. Like you said, it can be all in the point of view.

crazysteve
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Synology router feature requests GUEST TRAFFIC CONTROL

Unread post by crazysteve » Sat May 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Requesting: Guest Traffic Control / Throttle

Guest networks need the option/ability to limit upload and download speeds.

Example:
Anyone connecting to the guest network has limited bandwidth that could be set beforehand
in the Guest Network setup options.

This is currently impossible to manage manually, on the fly, as traffic can only be controlled on
a per device basis.

Thanks!

techblogger911
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by techblogger911 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 am

huygens_25 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:28 pm
I'm really interested in the new Synology router RT1900ac. I see the following advantages compare to the competition (warning, some points are totally subjective):
  • Good security: Synology - albeit had a few set back - but has mostly pushed quickly security updates and had good security features by default (HTTPS, support custom CA, 2FA, etc.) which are on DSM and seems to be existing to on SRM!
  • Good update track: I still have a NAS bought in 2011 which is still supported by Synology. This should be the norm, but sadly few manufacturer are keeping products up-to-date for so long. I hope Synology continue supporting in the next year :-) My expectation is that SRM would have such excellent track record!
  • Good user interface with advanced functions
Now what I do not see in the product datasheet and in the product documentation is a feature which I look forward in a consumer grade router: VLAN tagging and inter-VLAN routing. I don't find this feature in the product description. Is it just missing or not supported? Do you plan on supporting it, and when?

PS: at the moment I own a Asus RT-AC68U. Asus seems to also provide regular updates and long support. But they do not seem so skilled in terms of security. This router I own is really good and is technically equivalent to Synology's. So the only reason that could make me buy the Synology would me VLAN support which the Asus does not have. It would not be wasting either, I good recondition the Asus as an AP and use the Synology as the only router.

m0topilot
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by m0topilot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:08 pm

The big ones for me are more UI enablements.

Copy and Paste - Can't copy an IP or MAC Address and paste elsewhere in SRM or an in external application.

MAC and IP Context menu - Be able to display a list of functions in a contextual menu like Block, Add to Mac filter, Create Firewall rule, Create Address Reservation.

Best,
m0topilot
DS1815+ HGST 3x6TB 128MB Cache DSM 6.0

chewwy420
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by chewwy420 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 pm

I need DHCP options. Like to be able to set a different DNS for every DHCP Reservation.
Also the ability to change from the default KB/s to Mbps.
And when showing total usage. Have an option for "This Month" or to be able to set a date. I have a data cap and it's a pain to try and figure out based on just this week or last week.....
Last but not least. a functional DHCP/DNS configuration. So the DHCP server will update the DNS server with the IP's.

Shadow771
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by Shadow771 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:37 am

chewwy420 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 pm
I need DHCP options. Like to be able to set a different DNS for every DHCP Reservation.
Also the ability to change from the default KB/s to Mbps.
And when showing total usage. Have an option for "This Month" or to be able to set a date. I have a data cap and it's a pain to try and figure out based on just this week or last week.....
Last but not least. a functional DHCP/DNS configuration. So the DHCP server will update the DNS server with the IP's.
I'd rather Synology then invest into the development of an IPAM-like package so it would support multiple routers and servers in an environment. In my case, the DHCP servers runs on my routers while the DNS servers runs on my NAS'es.
Synology DS216+II <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> <site-to-site VPN tunnel> <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> Synology DS118

nicolasd
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by nicolasd » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Will either of the current Synology routers be able to support WPA3 or 802.11ax?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/26/wpa3-routers/

Garrisont
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: RT2600AC Inter-VLAN Routing Setup on LAN Ports

Unread post by Garrisont » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:44 am

johngilberts wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 am
jorge_rui wrote:
circle69 wrote:
+1 from Spain.

We are thinking to buy the rt2600ac for our office but we need a vlan capable device for managing guests network and office network. As I can see there is no GUI option available.
This would be great, dual WAN + vlan tagging would be a definitive combo to soho/SMB customer to buy this incredible router.

Looking forward to read it soon!
+1 from Portugal

Without this the router is getting behind the close competitors... C'mon Synology make it happen, it is not so hard, since this possibility is available on the command line via ssh, or just make a tutorial on how to configure and make that persistent after reboots.
I'd really like to see this great feature added very soon to make this super router even better.
+1 from Western Australia
+1 from a home user with some IP cameras I'd like to keep away from the internet wilds.

I'm not sure if this is permitted, but in the hopes of saving some people some digging I'd like to point out that I think my particular use case, while still desired, can also be solved by using one of the dual LAN port models such as the 918+. See gtyler's post here:
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 45#p533945

Brink668
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Brink668 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Lets Encrypt for VPN on RT2600AC just like for the NAS stations.

marciton
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by marciton » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm not sure there is a lot of reading there ... but anyway, I would really like to see a Guest mode easy activation
if you have kids you can notice they have a lot of friends... and the last think you want to do is to give them all an access to your network, internet, guest access of course yes.
Now do you really want to have a guess access all the time active... no

So on my Synolory router there is multiple way who can be fixed:

1°/WPS button but who send to Guest network and not full network
2°/create a specific account on the router who will allow only this from the mobile app

That will bring a really great experience ... what do you think...?

Yearling
I'm New!
I'm New!

Synology SSL VPN client PORTABLE

Unread post by Yearling » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:43 am

Would it be possible to make portable version of Synology SSL VPN client?

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”