New application: simple webbrowser

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Integrate a (simple) webbrowser in DSM Desktop

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 199

cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: New application: simple webbrowser

Unread post by cfuttrup » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Jorabi wrote:And you have been answered numerous times. If you don't know why people think it is a good idea by now, you are either not paying attention or are incapable of understanding simple concepts.
Hi Jorabi - how about telling us if the Lynx browser is a solution to the need for a simple browser?

/Claus

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Twisted World » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:50 pm

What the hell is a Lynx Browser? It isn't in my list of packages, that's for sure! :?:
[ DS918+ | DS916+ | DS216+II | DS1815+ | DS115j | EDS14 | DS212+ | DS211+ | DS411slim ]

cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by cfuttrup » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Twisted World wrote:What the hell is a Lynx Browser? It isn't in my list of packages, that's for sure! :?:
Hi Twisted World

I provided the link to info - but maybe not so clear - here it is again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_(web_browser)

The reason I mention this is because this might be easier for someone savvy in making packages to port to DSM (i.e. people could have their wish fulfilled - and might not even need Synology to be involved).

/Claus

Jorabi
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Jorabi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:21 pm

cfuttrup wrote:
Hi Jorabi - how about telling us if the Lynx browser is a solution to the need for a simple browser?

/Claus
It's quite possible that it will work for the basic needs that people have. It's character-based so one would not know until they try it. Someone has already compiled it for DSM and calls it "Links". It will not install, though - says DSM version is incompatible. Yet their page says over 5 is ok.

cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by cfuttrup » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Jorabi wrote:Someone has already compiled it for DSM and calls it "Links".
Hi Jorabi. Links is another one :-) -- sorry it wouldn't install.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_(web_browser)

/Claus

shrick
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by shrick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi All

I've suddenly realized the need for a DSM web browser and the value it can add to these Awesome products. Synology, please consider to help your customers out here, there seems to be a real big need for this. And, the competition already has this option. Would really appreciate you guys considering this, please.

Regards
Rico

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Twisted World » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:28 pm

There used to be this package that would install some sort of simple Linux distro that would enable a dekstop with a webbrowser that could be accessed over some sort of browser VNC client. Don't remember what is was called and it was close to complete crap to be honest, but at least is was a way to use a simple webbrowser on your Syno box. I don't know if it got discontinued or maybe it is just not supported on my CPU models. I think it also required Docker and other heavy-weight stuff to do this simple task. Anyone know what I mean and where it went? You got stuck with a resolution of 640x480 I believe, even if your screen was full HD, but at least you got a fully functional webbrowser. Damn, I wist I could remember its name...
[ DS918+ | DS916+ | DS216+II | DS1815+ | DS115j | EDS14 | DS212+ | DS211+ | DS411slim ]

oRBIT
Ace
Ace

Unread post by oRBIT » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Anyone tried "browser station" on a QNAP? Would be interesting to know how that works...
DS918+ (12B RAM, 6TB WD RED, 2x3TB WD RED WD30EFRX-68EUZN0)

My Synology blog: http://synofan.blogspot.se

cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by cfuttrup » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 pm

shrick wrote:Hi All

I've suddenly realized the need for a DSM web browser and the value it can add to these Awesome products.
Hi Rico

Could you explain to me why a web browser is needed in DSM?

/Claus

shrick
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by shrick » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi Claus

Well, I believe 8 pages on this topic probably explains enough, or, shows enough interest, for whatever reasons, that this is something that can be useful in DSM?

For my application it will mainly be for 2 reasons:

(1) To override the corporate network of the company I work for. There's many limitations in the browser on the corporate network. E.g. I cannot access my Arlo Pro security / surveillance system running at my home and some other scenarios / sites to. Yes, Arlo has a mobile app, but the web interface is just so much quicker to use. I can access my DS916+ from the corporate network. If my DS916+ had a web browser, I could have used this as a 'proxy' to get access to stuff I don't have access on the corporate network.

(2) When you're connected to a non-secure network e.g. open wifi. If you have access to your NAS browsing would be safe. Yes you can argue to have another PC running at home, on the VPN, and connect to that, but thats exactly what I don't want to do. My NAS fulfills that role, and its Awesome in doing so.

Regards
Rico

Shadow771
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by Shadow771 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:03 pm

jetspeedz wrote:A proxy would solve that or VPN as you pointed out. The problem is the proxy setup is not easy if you are not a linux guru in my opinion. I setup vpn easily but i quickly found out vpn was blocked by my work so im back to looking at the proxy and there is no guarantee that will not be blocked either.
It's possible to run VPN on port 443...
Synology DS216+II <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> <site-to-site VPN tunnel> <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> Synology DS118

cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by cfuttrup » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 pm

shrick wrote:Hi Claus

Well, I believe 8 pages on this topic probably explains enough, or, shows enough interest, for whatever reasons, that this is something that can be useful in DSM?

For my application it will mainly be for 2 reasons:

(1) To override the corporate network of the company I work for. There's many limitations in the browser on the corporate network. E.g. I cannot access my Arlo Pro security / surveillance system running at my home and some other scenarios / sites to. Yes, Arlo has a mobile app, but the web interface is just so much quicker to use. I can access my DS916+ from the corporate network. If my DS916+ had a web browser, I could have used this as a 'proxy' to get access to stuff I don't have access on the corporate network.

(2) When you're connected to a non-secure network e.g. open wifi. If you have access to your NAS browsing would be safe. Yes you can argue to have another PC running at home, on the VPN, and connect to that, but thats exactly what I don't want to do. My NAS fulfills that role, and its Awesome in doing so.

Regards
Rico
Hi Rico

8 pages is a lot, but not all of it is clear talk.

To describe more sharply what you're looking for:

1) You're located at work, connected to your LAN at home through a VPN
2) You wish to access the diskstation DSM through the GUI (i.e. you're using a PC at work, and a web browser)
3) While you're using the DSM GUI, you wish to be able to load a second web browser - which running on your diskstation is running from your private LAN, hence circumventing limitations at work.

Whatever you do on the diskstation web-browser, is that just looking up stuff?
Do you wish to download files - and where should these files be downloaded to ... I suppose download to a folder on your diskstation?
You can then use FileStation from your work-PC browser to copy the downloaded material to your work-PC

How close am I to your use-case?

If this circumvents e.g. security settings at work, I hope you understand that I think this is a bad idea.

/Claus

cino189
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by cino189 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:12 pm

cfuttrup wrote:
shrick wrote:Hi All

I've suddenly realized the need for a DSM web browser and the value it can add to these Awesome products.
Hi Rico

Could you explain to me why a web browser is needed in DSM?

/Claus
In my case it would be useful to access the configuration menu of the router. Unfortunately the Port Forwarding configuration feature integrated in DSM seems not to work properly with my router, hence I have to manually create rules on the router via web browser. Since I seldom use remote services I normally disable all the rules when I don't need them for security reasons; it would be very useful to be able to re enable them remotely when required using the web interface.

Ivkosky
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Ivkosky » Sun May 27, 2018 7:10 am

Guys, I would need a simple web browser integrated into the DSM as well! Any progress with this? This would literally change my life to the better... :)

sciurius
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by sciurius » Wed May 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Have you ever realised that 'a simple web browser' may not be suitable for what you want?
Without full CSS and JS support it is virtually impossible to browse anything serious, including the DSM UI.
DS418 / DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 / 2 x WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 (SHR) / MailServer / MailStation / ownCloud / Transmission / ResilioSync / Syncthing / spotweb / LMS+Spotify
DS413 / DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 / 2 x ST3000DM001-1CH166 (SHR) / Testing

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”