DSvideo / Video Station wishlist

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
tigelowe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DSvideo / Video Station wishlist

Unread post by tigelowe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 am

Synology Team,

Need audio track details in DS Video for Samsung TV app.
Currently the only description you get is ~'Track 1', 'Track 2', etc.
Need something useful like the 'Format', 'Format profile', 'Title' or 'Codec ID' value as the description.
See output from mediainfo below.

Appreciated

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : TrueHD
Format profile : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 9 309 kb/s
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : / 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Title : TrueHD Atmos
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : A_AAC-2
Duration : 1 h 55 min
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -21 ms
Title : AAC (avcodec)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No

TarzanAndJane
I'm New!
I'm New!

TV shows file name convention and configuration

Unread post by TarzanAndJane » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:55 pm

I know that there exists tips on "how to name the video files" for TV-shows (https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... n/category).

Well, I have large amount of TV shows which does not follow this convention, I don't have the season in the file name, only an increasing absolute number. My directories are organized like this:

<TV show name>/<number> - <title>.<extension>

For example:

Breaking Bad/001 - Pilot.mp4
Breaking Bad/002 - Cat's In The Bag.mp4
Breaking Bad/003 - And The Bag's In The River.mp4

I don't want to rename all my files in order that Video Station can recognize the correct episode. It would be nice if Video Station can figure this out automatically or it should at least be configurable. I think that the title of the serie ("Breaking Bad") and the title of the episode ("Cat's In The Bag") should be enough information to figure this out. So, if the user can provide e.g. a regular expression that extracts the title of the serie and the title of the episode out of the file path, then it would be a very flexible system and the users don't have to rename all their files and figure out season and episode numbers themselves...

Gungan
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Gungan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:16 pm

I would like VideoStation to actually play back my 380+ movies, but it doesn't.

So I setup PLEX and everything about it is implemented better, so I guess I would rather hardware access to the transcoding engine be made available to third party apps.

Synology just doesn't seem focused enough on multimedia to produce a good experience.

Photo Station is unusable for me because I want a specific folder structure, as is Moments, VS doesn't play anything, audio station was fine but made redundant by plex.

These apps are just amateurish. I don't think they have the manpower to create and support anything but the most basic stuff.
Last edited by Gungan on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gungan
Beginner
Beginner

Re: TV shows file name convention and configuration

Unread post by Gungan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 pm

TarzanAndJane wrote:I know that there exists tips on "how to name the video files" for TV-shows (https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... n/category).

Well, I have large amount of TV shows which does not follow this convention, I don't have the season in the file name, only an increasing absolute number. My directories are organized like this:

<TV show name>/<number> - <title>.<extension>

For example:

Breaking Bad/001 - Pilot.mp4
Breaking Bad/002 - Cat's In The Bag.mp4
Breaking Bad/003 - And The Bag's In The River.mp4

I don't want to rename all my files in order that Video Station can recognize the correct episode. It would be nice if Video Station can figure this out automatically or it should at least be configurable. I think that the title of the serie ("Breaking Bad") and the title of the episode ("Cat's In The Bag") should be enough information to figure this out. So, if the user can provide e.g. a regular expression that extracts the title of the serie and the title of the episode out of the file path, then it would be a very flexible system and the users don't have to rename all their files and figure out season and episode numbers themselves...
That's an unusual naming convention you have. Literally every media player I've ever used requires S01E01 in the filename to identify the episode for scraping metadata from the internet.

Nightwish76
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Nightwish76 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:09 pm

I would like Videostation in homevideo folder, actually show and be able to sort on "date taken" like photos can be in Photostation. or does this option exist already, but i cant find it.
Also i would like that home videos would show date taken instad of filename

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Twisted World » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Maybe this has been suggested before (sorry for not wanting to skim through 27 pages of posts) but I would very much like to have an additional category "Music Videos" available. I know I can create libraries myself, but non of the current "Movie, TV Shows, Home Videos" really fit the purpose. It would be great to have fields like "band", "year", "genre" etc. available for this.
The move to the new "community" is just another example of Synology not caring about customer wishes and [Please control your language] us all in the behind. I'll be leaving this forum and NOT be joining the new "community". It was a fun ride. Please don't expect any replies from me because the e-mail address associated with my Synology account will be disabled. Goodbye and thanks for the great time while it lasted.

kerry918plus
I'm New!
I'm New!

VideoStation Advanced Setting for Backdrop Filename

Unread post by kerry918plus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:32 pm

There is a setting to use cover.jpg for the poster image. Can we have a similar option for the backdrop filename?

nicasaur
I'm New!
I'm New!

Playlist sorting problem

Unread post by nicasaur » Sun May 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Playlists are defaulting to Sort by Title Descending. Please fix so this defaults to Sort by Title Ascending. Or even better allow us to save the default sorting for playlists and libraries.

Thx

chivi82
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by chivi82 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:50 am

Please add an option on the Apple TV app
...to access the subtitle menu while playing a movie by "pressing down" not only by "swiping down", see the Netflix app. This is important for all of us using a Logitech Harmony remote, since it does not allow for any "swiping" actions like the original Apple TV remote. Therefore, we are still required to pick up the Apple TV remote, since subtitles which are displayed automatically can't be turned off any other way...
Thank you so much in advance!

markclane@gmail.com
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Continuous playing of movies from playlist

Unread post by markclane@gmail.com » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:03 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has any updates. Continuous play of videos in a playlist shouldn't be that hard of a code. I'd really like to see this feature added to all the DS Apps.

If you want this feature, please reply to this thread and make your voice heard.

nuno.ripper
I'm New!
I'm New!

New "playlist" for not watched movies

Unread post by nuno.ripper » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:22 am

HI,

I feel that it should exists an "auto playslist" for not watched movies.

We can browse by:
- just added
- just watched
- just released

If one can mark the movie as watched or not watched, why not have a playslist for "not watched"?

instead of scroling throught 300 movies finding one movie to watch it would be easy to browse only the not watched.

how is the best way for this to get to the developers?

front243
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by front243 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:37 am

In addition to filtrering I would like to see sorting (I am talking about the Apple TV /Android client)

F.ex. Sort by duration or date

gurok
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by gurok » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:10 am

Hi Synology,

It would be great if Video Station could do this, just using Star Trek as an example:

Playlists that span multiple content types (TV Show, Movie, etc.) grouped by the name of the collection they belong to.

It would be great for showcasing a franchise. I guess this kind of implies some ability to add TV Shows to playlists, which I think should be possible too. Finally, if all content was from one collection, there would be no need to show the collection name. You could just have it behave as it does now.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”