DSvideo / Video Station wishlist

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
DjonniDK
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DSvideo / Video Station wishlist

Postby DjonniDK » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:03 pm

No respectable media server can go with Trakt integration. It's just that simple.
PhoenixNL72
Trainee
Trainee

Postby PhoenixNL72 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 pm

It has probably been mentioned before, but it would be VERY handy to be able to just type a path(manually or by copying and pasting from File station) in videostation's "By Folder" mode instead of waiting 30 seconds for it to load in a page, which is very time consuming if the folder you want to edit is on the 6th or so page. :(
(Having search work in "By Folder" mode is an alternative option. Currently starting a search just turns the mode back to "All" or "Recently Added".)

Secondly, being able to switch from series to movie mode and vice versa on a search would be very much appreciated too. A lot of the times, especially with Japanese anime, there are both series, specials and movies for the same franchise. (e.g Pokemon, Dragonball or Prince of Tennis to name a few)
If you want to keep things together currently you'll have to manually edit movies and specials (OVAs) because the search function won't find anything at all for them if the category is set to TV-Series.

Thirdly, Please change the Episode number field to a floating point field so it can store episode numbers like 4.5 or 6.75. It's pretty common for special episodes in cartoon/anime series, that take place in between two episodes of the main series, to be numbered like that.

Lastly when editing a series episode in "All" or "Recently Added" mode, please allow selection of the specific file in case multiple files are linked to the same episode. Hitting play on them gives a file selection list in that case, so why not for information editing? This feature would render point one in this post much less urgent. *^_^*
Last edited by PhoenixNL72 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
PhoenixNL72
Trainee
Trainee

Postby PhoenixNL72 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 pm

jsoya01 wrote:DSVideo
Capability to Upload files that were previously Downloaded on the iPad to Video Station
Share downloaded files with other users of DSVideo

Uploading files from a mobile device to a Synology NAS is what the DS File app is for. So it's not a feature that DS Video needs.
lagigia
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby lagigia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:00 am

DjonniDK wrote:No respectable media server can go with Trakt integration. It's just that simple.

I can quote this every day. Please integrate Trakt in Video Station
mjsheen
Trainee
Trainee

Transcoding / player selection

Postby mjsheen » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:06 am

Video Station / DS Video are great software, but just need a bit of fine tune to be the best.

I would like to suggest as below:

1. Transcoding
Need more detailed options for transcoding
a. I can't tell if the video is being transcoded. I would like to be able to see the information.
b. I want transcoding OFF when I am using TV app, because DS video will not detect my 6ch audio and down-mix all audio if transcoded
c. Also, need an option for not down-mixing 6ch audio when transcoding
d. I want transcoding ON when I am using cell phone app for the sake of smooth data streaming and saving
e. I want transcoding ON when the player cannot play the codec (e.g. x265 does not play on my samsung TV)
Plex does not seem to have issue with b, d, e

2. Player selection
Need to be able to select a player for DS Video App
DS Video App relies on external player and automatically selects which player it wants to use. Understandable for ease of use, but
a. I could use a configuration function to change that for advanced user because I have another player I want to use. DS Video App seems to prefer MX player, which I have, but I want to select Nplayer as default. Also need this for playing some unplayable codecs as in (1.e.) above
JBenjaminsson
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby JBenjaminsson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 pm

+1 on Trakt integration! Would be awesome!
unionsparky
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby unionsparky » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:07 am

The lack of movie collections is terribly annoying. James Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Die Hard, you get the idea.
tigelowe
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS Video Samsung TV

Postby tigelowe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:46 pm

This may already have been requested, but, we need a search function in the DS Video Samsung TV app like the one on Video Station. Quick Jump is not sufficient.
mjsheen
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Video Station Wish List

Postby mjsheen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 am

Mayki wrote:Please create apps for samsung tv, thank you ... :wink:

Such app exists and is called DS Video
Last edited by mjsheen on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjsheen
Trainee
Trainee

Postby mjsheen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:55 am

unionsparky wrote:The lack of movie collections is terribly annoying. James Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Die Hard, you get the idea.
you have a wrong idea. it is not netflix.
NasNoob2018
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby NasNoob2018 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 pm

1) update search options with the ability to enter an IMDB link/TVDB/etc (direct link) (some new shows are easily found on sites, but DSVideo can't find them when searching).
2) if a series has the same name or similar have the ability to "Black list" the wrong option so that each time an episode is placed you don't have to go into DS video and edit the information/search existing titles and select the proper one...
3) possibly have it allow a setting that if you save it in /volume1/MyShows/MyAwesomeShow/Season 1/Episode... you can specify /volume1/MyShows/MyAwesomeShow/* = MyAwesomeShow 2018 so that it NEVER puts it as MyAwesomeShow 1967.... in other words it gets old having to redo certain shows each time an episode is placed.
4) in the "search internet" option.. have it search the latest dates first or even if I am looking for MySearchName... allow it to pick up MySearchName 2018 and only look for start dates/creation dates in 2018 vs waiting 2-3 mins at times just to finally sort the list and choose one in the proper year.. might decrease API hits as well..

Thank you in advance
MIK33EE
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby MIK33EE » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am

It seems crazy to me that subtitles are automatically displayed each and every time a new video file is started for the first time and one has to manually turn them off.

There should be a setting to set them to not be displayed automatically and instead it’s the users choice as to when to display them.

I’m actually quite astonished that this isn’t already a feature and I’ve checked with Synology support that this is indeed the current situation with DS Video.

Many thanks, Michael
titishor
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby titishor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi,

I plan to buy a Synology DS218+ to be connected in my LAN with Samsung TV KS7002 (2016 series).
Currently, my TV doesn’t display external subtitles (.srt or .sub ) over DLNA from my NAS (old Zyxell NSA320 ).

Please confirm :
- If I install last version of DS Video app on my Samsung KS7002 TV
- On DS218+ Synology updated to last version
then external subtitles will be displayed on TV over DLNA ?

Please confirm only users that already test or Synology developers.
Thanks
tigelowe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tigelowe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 am

Synology Team,

Need audio track details in DS Video for Samsung TV app.
Currently the only description you get is ~'Track 1', 'Track 2', etc.
Need something useful like the 'Format', 'Format profile', 'Title' or 'Codec ID' value as the description.
See output from mediainfo below.

Appreciated

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : TrueHD
Format profile : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 9 309 kb/s
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : / 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Title : TrueHD Atmos
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : A_AAC-2
Duration : 1 h 55 min
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -21 ms
Title : AAC (avcodec)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
TarzanAndJane
I'm New!
I'm New!

TV shows file name convention and configuration

Postby TarzanAndJane » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:55 pm

I know that there exists tips on "how to name the video files" for TV-shows (https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... n/category).

Well, I have large amount of TV shows which does not follow this convention, I don't have the season in the file name, only an increasing absolute number. My directories are organized like this:

<TV show name>/<number> - <title>.<extension>

For example:

Breaking Bad/001 - Pilot.mp4
Breaking Bad/002 - Cat's In The Bag.mp4
Breaking Bad/003 - And The Bag's In The River.mp4

I don't want to rename all my files in order that Video Station can recognize the correct episode. It would be nice if Video Station can figure this out automatically or it should at least be configurable. I think that the title of the serie ("Breaking Bad") and the title of the episode ("Cat's In The Bag") should be enough information to figure this out. So, if the user can provide e.g. a regular expression that extracts the title of the serie and the title of the episode out of the file path, then it would be a very flexible system and the users don't have to rename all their files and figure out season and episode numbers themselves...

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”