Want a Synology NAS Native Browser(Chrome or Firefox)?

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Want a Synology NAS Native Browser?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 38
theheardone
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Want a Synology NAS Native Browser(Chrome or Firefox)?

Postby theheardone » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:33 am

+1

I stumbled upon this as while my VPN server is running, for some reason I'm having issues connecting from outside the house. If I was at home, I could easily figure out what my issue was via a browser. ie did my WAN IP change? Did the router lose settings and the ports aren't open any longer? All accessible via a browser IF I was at home. But I'm not. I'm traveling in Thailand and I'd really like to have that VPN working appropriately.
Jorabi
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Jorabi » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:42 am

cfuttrup wrote:
I voted no. This (any web browser) can create major problems in regard to security. Be careful what you wish for. At least for sure don't make it standard.

/Claus

I need this badly. It would be nice if you had supported the development merely because so many others need it, even if you don't. A newer thread shows over 100 yes votes. Please support us.
cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby cfuttrup » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi Jorabi

I believe in prioritizing other features over a web browser. A web browser feature from within the DSM web-gui itself is IMHO a bad idea. I hope the Synology team will spend its time wisely elsewhere.

/Claus
Jorabi
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Jorabi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 pm

A misguided opinion IMO. Myself and countless others get into the situation where we support Synology users and need to get to their router GUI to make changes. The only way to do so is to have a web browser that can access their local network by way of the DSM interface. You might say VPN and/or remote router management is the answer, but that is a chicken and egg situation.

The request for an integrated basic browser goes back several years and it is obviously falling on deaf ears. Part of the reason is there are voices such as yours actively campaigning against it rather than supporting those of us who desperately need it. Any security concerns could easily be addressed in the design.
cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby cfuttrup » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi Jorabi

The idea of having a browser available from within a router sounds like an even worse idea. From the outside (the open internet) and into a certain LAN, the router is that important piece of equipment, that must offer protection. To have a browser here would keep me awake at night.

At any rate, my (previous) responses are directly related to NAS, not router (see subject of the discussion). I have no experience with Synology routers and no plans to purchase one, so a Synology router-browser is not an important topic for me, personally. It would just keep me from buying the product.

Your points as to tailoring a browser to fit the specific purpose you're pointing at, is outside the scope of what I can discuss. The present thread and poll doesn't sketch this, but simply asks the question whether a browser is a desirable piece of software to have in the DSM.

/Claus
Jorabi
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Jorabi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:36 pm

I apologize for going over your head. This has nothing to do with routers. I am talking about the same thing as everyone else, a web browser inside DSM. I gave an example of one destination a web browser might be used to access inside the local network.
Hoe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Hoe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:15 pm

I get people arguing the security risks but there are plenty of other apps avaialble for download with a security risk in place and nobody complains about this.

Furthermore I think if it's wisely implemented it should be pretty secure, I.E. No Flash, Java or any other plugs, just a basic web-browser which by default is restricted to LAN Access Only!

This way you can acceess any sites you have on your LAN but nothing more, on that basis if you manage to hit an infection, well you were already impending doom anyway as it came from your LAN, there is an argument for giving people the option to access WAN from it if enabled too but I personally can't see any good use for it.

People suggest reverse proxies, port forwarding etc. which in some cases is almost certainly the right way to go about it, but in my view you want the least WAN facing Open Ports as possible, so if that can be reduced to 1 point of entry through the DSM Login behind your Certificate with a decent password I don't think there is much more you can do, unless you want to go VPN or SSH Route but as people have discussed this is not always practicle!

So yes +1

Thanks.
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby iknowtech » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 pm

Poll already exists on this subject.

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... webbrowser

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”