Why is there no Terminal Application on DSM 5

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
rpd
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Why is there no Terminal Application on DSM 5

Postby rpd » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:40 am

+1, need it!
justreed
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby justreed » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Registered for the forum just to +1 this. This thread has been out here for a long time. Does anyone at Synology actually read these?
synomartin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby synomartin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:28 pm

+1
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby iknowtech » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:22 pm

justreed wrote:Registered for the forum just to +1 this. This thread has been out here for a long time. Does anyone at Synology actually read these?

Basically no. If you want to encourage Synology to implement a new feature, use this form.

blondMammuth
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby blondMammuth » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:51 am

Occasionally I want to do a simple "ps -fe", or create a directory somewhere (outside the data directory, which the file station does not support according to my experience), and I do not want to invoke another access method, because this increases the danger of unwanted access. So there are these situations when I really miss an embedded terminal.

Perhaps there are really better arguments against this, but the "beginners could ruin their system" one does not convince me. It is possible to keep it optional, having to install and/or activate it, or to warn every time on invocation, and it is, after all, within the users responsibility, not to do something utterly stupid.

So yes, seen from my perspective a GUI embedded terminal would be a good idea.
pezball
Versed
Versed

Postby pezball » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:19 pm

blondMammuth wrote:it is, after all, within the users responsibility, not to do something utterly stupid.

Indeed, but that will not help Synology support from being overloaded, when the less computer savvy users contact them with mysterious bugs, after opening the terminal to see what that is all about, while their cat dances over the keyboard and enters a less idiot safe rm command by chance. All they can give as response to support questions is "I have no clue wat happened"... and they would not even have to lie about that fact. 8)

All access to system files need be separate from DSM, or all sorts of problems will happen, when people open the terminal. The extra step of installing a remote terminal software and actively starting it to get access, keeps the general public away from messing up their system. 99.9 % of users will never ever have a need to get direct access to files. Only those who actually know what they do, will need a terminal, and they already know how to install and use one.

So there are good reasons for Synology to not make a Terminal package.
DS214, 2 x WD30EFRX, Raid 1
blondMammuth
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby blondMammuth » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:44 pm

The extra step of installing a remote terminal software and actively starting it to get access, keeps the general public away from messing up their system.

True, but the very same could be said about a GUI embedded terminal, if installation/activation was just difficult enough. So I will install one if it is possible (does not seem to be at the moment, though, as some postings indicate). By protecting some people from their own carelessness, I feel somehow restricted in a way I dislike. It is not something I could not live without, merely a preference, so I see it as a minor reduction of the otherwise good products quality I have purchased for some money.
ADvorsky
Novice
Novice

Postby ADvorsky » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:22 pm

+1 ... gate one does not work any more
knyckis
Trainee
Trainee

Postby knyckis » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:23 am

iknowtech wrote:
justreed wrote:Registered for the forum just to +1 this. This thread has been out here for a long time. Does anyone at Synology actually read these?

Basically no. If you want to encourage Synology to implement a new feature, use this form.

Do you really think this can be true? You mean that the very official Synology forum about "Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions" would not be read by Synology staff? That would be tantamount to fraud. Although having no reply from official Synology staff in this lengthy thread does speak in favour of your suggestion, I believe it more likely that they, for reasons brought forward in the thread, simply do not want it. Silent treatment, in other words. Still bad, but not as bad as not even reading the freakin' posts.

On topic:
+1 on the goodness of terminal application!. Implement, Synology, pretty please!
martopg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby martopg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:40 pm

+1

This should definitely be included
Dumnorix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Dumnorix » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:52 pm