New application: simple webbrowser

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback

Integrate a (simple) webbrowser in DSM Desktop

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 155
willcoffin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: New application: simple webbrowser

Postby willcoffin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:42 pm

I have been a synology owner for 6? years now and every so often I run into a scenario where it would make my life much easier if I could load a browser up in my DSM interface while away from home. This is usually so I can remotely configure something on my home network (like router or network camera) mostly when I am on a computer where I don't have my VPN already setup or the network I am on blocks L2TP/IPsec. Most of these services are very simple HTML, no flash and barely any javascript so something simple would be fine. I am not proposing to use this to remotely watch youtube/hulu when out of the country or stream Spotify, just basic HTML5/CSS3/Javascript.

I am a web developer, for those who say "this is a server, it should not have a browser" my response is that my DiskStation is far more than just a simple server, it's my "home brain" that pretty much connects everything in my house and also the closest thing I have to a "desktop" at home. This solution doesn't have to be chromium, Midori would work fine.

My requests list for DSM packages still stands as:
1.Web Browser
2. Handbrake like Transcoder (so I don't have to transfer to my mac->normalize to h.264->transfer back to synology)

+1 if you agree!!
syldub
Trainee
Trainee

Postby syldub » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:52 am

Hi,

+1

I'm still waiting for a simple DSM web browser since many years... This is still not implemented in DSM 6.0 and no package does provide this feature. It should not be so complicated to integrate into DSM though...
Synology DS211 & DS115 - DSM 6.0
TorgasMick
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby TorgasMick » Mon May 23, 2016 12:46 pm

+1 :!: :idea:
DS216Play (DSM 6.0) - Windows 10
pezball
Versed
Versed

Postby pezball » Mon May 23, 2016 7:29 pm

I can see that a web browser could be useful in some circumstances.

I can imagine that one vital key to make a web browser possible, is that the DSM API is equipped with a HTML decoder/renderer, i.e. a graphical component which can render HTML code in a proper way. And which transfers any clicks and key presses to the website, instead of to DSM. There are buttons and textboxes and all other sorts of graphical components to use for building an app form, but I think a HTML decoder is missing, since DSM has no obvious use for showing 3rd party site information. So a web browser will need to include a complete HTML decoder/renderer, and that may be why nobody has taken time to make it.
DS214, 2 x WD30EFRX, Raid 1
wayneg82
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby wayneg82 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:12 am

+1 This would be really useful when VPN is not possible
matinciel
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby matinciel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:41 pm

I would certainly give some tip :D (€/$) for this feature !!!!
jasonbongreen
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jasonbongreen » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:16 pm

+1 from me. This would be great for circumventing firewalls from within networks that monitor for VPN tunnels. The combination of this and Download Station would be killer when you want to initiate a download while at work!
oRBIT
Ace
Ace

Postby oRBIT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:54 am

I found a solution for this, sort of.
I installed a Docker-image "smalltree-handbrake" (I wanted to try Handbrake on my NAS). The docker-image actually came with Ubuntu installed and a Firefox webbrowser aswell! You can control everything with your normal webbrowser (VNC or something used, I don't know, I'm a newbie with Docker :)).
The only drawback is that there's no security implemented here. If someone finds out my IP+port for this dockerimage, anyone can use it (if I am not mistaken). Perhaps it's solvable..
Drawback number 2 here is that many Synology NAS-models can't run Docker.
DS415+ (8GB RAM, 3x3TB WD RED WD30EFRX-68EUZN0, 1x240GB SSD SSDSC2CW240A3)

My Synology blog: http://synofan.blogspot.se
synologyuserforum
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby synologyuserforum » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:52 pm

One thing I would like to do is to simple run a speed test connection (from the perspective of the synology device), e.g., checking the result on speedtest.net. I know that there exist solutions to setup a 'speedtest server' on synology itself (https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=72144), which is different.
oRBIT
Ace
Ace

Postby oRBIT » Thu May 18, 2017 1:39 pm

The main competitor has obviously solved this problem by releasing a "browser station". Synology, can we have it aswell? :)
DS415+ (8GB RAM, 3x3TB WD RED WD30EFRX-68EUZN0, 1x240GB SSD SSDSC2CW240A3)

My Synology blog: http://synofan.blogspot.se
ste8604
Experienced
Experienced

Postby ste8604 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:59 pm

oRBIT wrote:The main competitor has obviously solved this problem by releasing a "browser station". Synology, can we have it aswell? :)

+10000
DS216+II - DSM 6.1
techweenie
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby techweenie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:33 am

I just found out about LXQt. If your Synology can run Docker, then install it from the Package Center. It has Chrome pre-installed. Make sure you set a VNC password before opening the port to WAN! While it's not a browser directly within DSM, it's the next best thing, and super fast and lightweight.
redrage
Beginner
Beginner

Postby redrage » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 pm

techweenie wrote:I just found out about LXQt. If your Synology can run Docker, then install it from the Package Center. It has Chrome pre-installed. Make sure you set a VNC password before opening the port to WAN! While it's not a browser directly within DSM, it's the next best thing, and super fast and lightweight.

what do you do.. install the docker image, set vnc passwd then vnc directly from wan into the docker? *shudder*
DS412+ 2TB WD Red x3 | GB Network : 75/5Mb Internet | Intel i7-3930 @4.25, 64GB Ram, Samsung 830 240GB SSD, ADATA 120GB SSD, OCZ 256GB SSD, ATI 7950 Video, 1440p Monitor
ste8604
Experienced
Experienced

Postby ste8604 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:11 pm

i want this:
https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2017/qnap- ... xperiences
:!: :!:

for you is not possibile use the same docker image on synology?
DS216+II - DSM 6.1
sincarne
Skilled
Skilled

Postby sincarne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 pm

ste8604 wrote:i want this:
https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2017/qnap- ... xperiences
:!: :!:

for you is not possibile use the same docker image on synology?

Link 2 image?

Only thing can do now on Sinology is virtual machine with web browser. I say that not efficient but QNAP browser have same RAM requirement :?:

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”