DSM 6.2-23739 (final) is out

Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
rdagger
Rookie
Rookie

Re: DSM 6.2-23739 (final) is out

Unread post by rdagger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 pm

oppedahl wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:57 am
The email came out that said that everybody urgently needs to install DSM 6.2-23739. So I did a "manual DSM update". I did this on two DS216+II boxes and a DS115j box.

Now whenever I try to update a theme or plug-in in Wordpress, the update fails with "An error occurred while updating theme-blah: Could not create directory."

The usual cause for this error is that updating DSM caused the http user to lose its "write" permissions. And indeed on each of these boxes, the DSM update did cause the http user to lose its "write" permissions. So then I would go into file manager and right-click to get the properties for the folder containing the Wordpress site, and the http user would only have "read" permissions and I would edit it to restore the "write" permissions for the folder and all subfolders.

But even now, still the Wordpress updates fail with the same error message "could not create directory".

So I am wondering if there is some defect in DSM 6.2-23739 that somehow has crippled the "http" user.

I uninstalled and reinstalled PHP and Apache, so that's not it. I manually installed Wordpress Health Check and ran it, and the reports do not finger any particular problem. HC says that Wordpress does have write access to all of the relevant folders.

I tried the experiment of reconfiguring Web Station to use various combinations of older and newer versions of Apache and PHP. That did not make the problem go away.
Did you ever solve the problem? I’m having exact same problem with WordPress. It can’t create directories so updates don’t work. Also when you upload images it does not process the different sizes presumably because permissions are necessary. I checked the HTTP account and adjusted it to give it write permissions and it still doesn’t work. I also experimented with different versions of Apache and PHP and tried adjusting the PHP Settings. Nothing works. Btw I am not using the WP package. I just installed it manually.

Ole
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by Ole » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Updated my DS916+ to 6.2-23739 Update 2 last week and no issues so far.

ScotteeBks
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ScotteeBks » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:29 pm

A message to oppedahl above,

Have you had any luck with a solution to your original issue? I got the same errors in the same update, on a DS213+, and now the only way I can keep Wordpress websites on the server up to date is to run updates manually, which is obviously not right (e.g. updating translations etc).

From the forums I've read across the Web I've run all the suggestions to check and change permissions on users (the one that originally set the sites up), the permissions on all affected WP folders, right out to the root, even temporarily trying 777! I''ve confirmed that the http user and the site "creator" user are both admins, read/write, in the web group etc etc. I even uploaded a brand new WP website from scratch, activated it, then got the exact same issue when trying to add/update plugins and themes??? On other localhost WAMP setups on other machines there is no problem. I've manually created uploads & other folders (all with 777 on them... I'm desperate now!).

So it has to be something that happened in the aforementioned DSM update. The storage space is really tight (was 97% but now down to 92%, and a warning message about the original 97% level won't now go away ... unless it's got something to do with this space error??).

Does anyone else have any ideas that we could try at all, please?! Next stop a ticket to Synology, methinks...

Thanks in anticipation...

rdagger
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by rdagger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:49 pm

ScotteeBks wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:29 pm
Have you had any luck with a solution to your original issue? I got the same errors in the same update, on a DS213+, and now the only way I can keep Wordpress websites on the server up to date is to run updates manually, which is obviously not right (e.g. updating translations etc).
Try adding the following to wp-config.php
define('FS_METHOD', 'direct');

roonie
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by roonie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Decided to take the plunge and update my DS412+ to 6.2-23739 from 6.1.7-15284-2 then immediately followed by final update to 6.2-23739-2. Updated all packages needing updates beforehand and then again after initial 6.2-23739 update as indicated. Straight forward update with each completing in less than 10 minutes. No issues so far.

Big thanks to all the early adopters who led the way and instill confidence through their respective experiences. Much appreciated.

ScotteeBks
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ScotteeBks » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:42 pm

rdagger wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:49 pm
ScotteeBks wrote:
To rdagger, thanks very much. This one confused me as I'd seen that a few weeks ago, tried it and didn't help, so I removed it. But I added it back in (above the last php command again) and it appears to have worked - updated a plugin and installed a new one! Thankyou. I'll persist with this and hope it keeps working... appreciate your reply and time...

naver
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by naver » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:55 pm

naver wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:24 am
Is this safe to install on a DS718+? I have some that are acting as DC's running Active Directory Server. One of our customers is having a minor problem related to SMB that I believe a newer DSM update can solve, but if something goes wrong with the update, the DC is going to be out of action and the doodoo would hit the fan...
Two DS718+'s running Active Directory Server and running as DC's updated to 6.2-23739 - Update 2 with no problems.

fremenik
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by fremenik » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:55 pm

ScotteeBks wrote:
A message to oppedahl above,

From the forums I've read across the Web I've run all the suggestions to check and change permissions on users (the one that originally set the sites up), the permissions on all affected WP folders, right out to the root, even temporarily trying 777! I''ve confirmed that the http user and the site "creator" user are both admins, read/write, in the web group etc etc. I even uploaded a brand new WP website from scratch, activated it, then got the exact same issue when trying to add/update plugins and themes??? On other localhost WAMP setups on other machines there is no problem. I've manually created uploads & other folders (all with 777 on them... I'm desperate now!).

So it has to be something that happened in the aforementioned DSM update. The storage space is really tight (was 97% but now down to 92%, and a warning message about the original 97% level won't now go away ... unless it's got something to do with this space error??).

Does anyone else have any ideas that we could try at all, please?! Next stop a ticket to Synology, methinks...

Thanks in anticipation...
I am noticing people writing that they have edited the HTTP user group to have read write permissions, but I haven't seen any info as to what user account they are using to perform these installs or updates from within the DSM interface. I'd like to suggest using the actual admin account to perform the install to see if that fixes the problem. I am referring to the one that was created when the NAS was first setup and it should be called admin.
As I have seen in the past, that admin account has permissions as close to root as possible and this might work, if you install your themes using the admin account and make to launch WordPress from the DSM interface in a new tab. I am hopeful that by launching the wordpress package from within the DSM, it will behave a little better than going directly to the wordpress admin URL.
I hope this helps someone, good luck

oppedahl
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by oppedahl » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:16 pm

rdagger wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:49 pm
ScotteeBks wrote:
Thank you! That worked perfectly.

Return to “DiskStation Manager 6.2-23739 and onward versions”