Multiple Family Members Using Shared Moments - Possible?

Discussion room for Moments package
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
rustyw007
I'm New!
I'm New!

Multiple Family Members Using Shared Moments - Possible?

Unread post by rustyw007 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:00 am

Hi,

I'd like to know if its possible to have multiple family members all using a common "Moments" application/share. Please allow me to explain by a use case since I'm not certain how to ask the question.

Current Use Case
My family currently keeps all our family pictures in the Users/Public/Public Pictures folder in our Windows PC. We all have access to this folder even when logged in to our individual Windows accounts.

We have a simple folder/file naming convention we all follow, but beyond that each of us is free to add/remote/edit all pictures and folders.

Desired User Case

I'd like to eliminate the user of the Windows folder and instead use my shiny new DS218j.

I'd like to extend this same kind of "shared administration" of the photos and gain the benefits of moments (facial recognition, photo timeline, etc). Is it even possible?

So far I've failed in my attempt. Any pictures uploaded always end up in homes/[USERNAME]/Drive/Moments.

Everyone can see any photos they have uploaded, but none of the photos from the other users.

If I (as the admin) manually move the photos to home/Drive/Moments, then I (as an admin) see all the photos in Moments, but now, no one else can see them. Not to mention, the whole point of this exercise is not to have any central admin anyway - so even if this manually moving worked - it still wouldn't fit my use case.

Do I just completely misunderstand the purpose of Moments? I've been accused of not being the brightest light bulb in the shop...

rustyw007
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Multiple Family Members Using Shared Moments - Possible?

Unread post by rustyw007 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:16 pm

UPDATE

I spoke with support about this who in-turn spoke with Prod Mgmt/Prod Dev.

The short answer is "No". Moments is meant to be a personal solution - not a shared or family solution.

The offered two alternatives:

1. set up a "shared" account just for Moments and have all family members use that same account
2. use photo station

Because I already have my family set up with individual DSM accounts (so they have private home directories/etc), I'll be going the route of Photo Station.

Just thoughts I'd share in case its helpful.

juergen6
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by juergen6 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:13 am

rustyw007 wrote:The short answer is "No". Moments is meant to be a personal solution - not a shared or family solution.
Thanks for posting the result of your investigation, this saves me looking into the same.

Hopefully this is something Synology will address in future.

Shadow771
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by Shadow771 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 am

rustyw007 wrote: 2. use photo station
The advantage with Photo Station is that you can also simply place pictures in the \\nas\photo share via SMB. You could transform the local 'Users/Public/Public Pictures' folder on your computer as a junction to \\nas\photo . You're family won't notice the difference and everything will upload sweetly to your NAS and automatically indexed into photo station :D
Synology DS216+II <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> <site-to-site VPN tunnel> <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> Synology DS118

VertigoRay
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by VertigoRay » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:32 pm

I guess the feature list has changed?

Ref: https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/feature/moments
~Ray
http://blog.vertigion.com
DS1511+ 1GB RAM
DS1515+ 2Gb RAM

real_skydiver
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by real_skydiver » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:24 am

I guess the term 'Family' does not exist @ Synology. Big focus on sharing with 'social media' platforms ... but family, no, no interest!

jhmorri2
Novice
Novice

Unread post by jhmorri2 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:34 am

We all log into moments with the same account. This allows us to all backup our pictures in one spot, and have access to all the photos.
Personal: RS3617xs, 12 GB RAM, DSM 6.2-23729 Update 2, 5 x 3 TB WD RED, 1 x 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 3 x 6 TB WD RED, 1 x 3 TB Seagate IronWolf.

Business: DS118, 6 x DS1515+, DS1517, DS1815+, DS213j, DS214se, 2 x DS218+, DS414, DS416play, NVR1218, 2 x RS3617xs, 8 x RT1900ac, 2 x RT2600ac, 2 x VirtualDSM

xtoflyon5
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by xtoflyon5 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Hi there,
What if all family users have a symbolic link of /Volumes/homes/myuser/Drive/Moments --> /photo ?
Would all the users see all the shared pictures in Moments ?
Did anybody tried this ? even with 1 user ?
regards,

jpurssey
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by jpurssey » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 am

It looks to me as though the situation now is that the Photos folder can be shared for many to view and maintain, while each user can also have a private Moments folder in their /home/drive/moments directory.

See https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/feature/moments

It also seems that Photo station can still be used to maintain the content of the /photo folder in conjunction with Moments.
DS214se 3Tbyte Raid 1: DSM6.2, CP1500 AVR UPS - Cyber Power System, Inc,
Zolid Mini DVB-T Stick - Integrated Technology Express (Works sometimes)

srainess
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by srainess » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:08 pm

I agree with the request for this. Currently we have subfolders in photo station under the \photo for each family member. This way I can map "Plex" and other software for manipulation. I read in the knowledge base that Moments will look at the \photo path as well

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... and_search

I cant seem to get this to show up in moments though, even though i turned on shared photo library. Anyone else having this problem ?

jpurssey
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by jpurssey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:13 am

It seems a surprising way to give permissions and different from other DSM procedures but this is how I did it.

1 Open Moments using an administrator user

2. Select your icon on the bottom left.

3. Select Settings and then Shared Photo Library tab

4. Select Access permissions and enable family users

5. Save and exit
DS214se 3Tbyte Raid 1: DSM6.2, CP1500 AVR UPS - Cyber Power System, Inc,
Zolid Mini DVB-T Stick - Integrated Technology Express (Works sometimes)

srainess
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by srainess » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:43 am

Did that...
Actually it was my mistake. Didnt realize there was a Drop-Down list by the Moments logo
on the top left.

Thanks !

Return to “Moments”