Painfully slow

Discussion room for Moments package
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
dancurry
I'm New!
I'm New!

Painfully slow

Unread post by dancurry » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:12 am

Some on here were praising the speed of Moments. I transferred my modest photo library (5000 photos) by moving them from Photos (Photo Station) to Moments a few days ago. Moments app works and the categories and pics are all there. It takes minutes to load the various smart folders. Is it still indexing or is just this slow. Pretty much unusable. Photo Station was much faster. I have a DS 412+ and a relatively fast internet connection.

vij
Student
Student

Re: Painfully slow

Unread post by vij » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:32 am

Why "moving" pictures from PhotoStation to Moments?
Isn't it possible to index the same picture from both applications?

Philippe

compspider
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by compspider » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:10 pm

I second this question and original post.
It is so so slow.

@dancurry,
Did you find a solution? Or did you move them back to PhotoStation. I am thinking about this right now.
dancurry wrote:Some on here were praising the speed of Moments. I transferred my modest photo library (5000 photos) by moving them from Photos (Photo Station) to Moments a few days ago. Moments app works and the categories and pics are all there. It takes minutes to load the various smart folders. Is it still indexing or is just this slow. Pretty much unusable. Photo Station was much faster. I have a DS 412+ and a relatively fast internet connection.
Win 10 Pro
Synology DS713+ DSM 6.1.6 (beta)

...::: Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit :::...

xexebanana
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by xexebanana » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:22 pm

vij wrote:Why "moving" pictures from PhotoStation to Moments?

Philippe
No it´s not possible.

See the multiple post in this forum about that issue
DS211j & DS215j

compspider
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by compspider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:11 am

Well it has been 4 days now.
Still slow as hell.
Moments and Drive need to be overhauled or newly designed.
They are not for machines like DS713+. This 2 bay drive is great, but cannot handle these tasks smoothly at all.
I just looked and google actually has the same exact features (for free) all photos upload them for free.
I will use Cloud Sync Station to do this and get all my photos online with face recognition and GEO mapping a lot faster and without using my storage space.

I recommend others to do the same.
Win 10 Pro
Synology DS713+ DSM 6.1.6 (beta)

...::: Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit :::...

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Unread post by sincarne » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:17 am

compspider wrote:Well it has been 4 days now.
Still slow as hell.
Moments and Drive need to be overhauled or newly designed.
They are not for machines like DS713+. This 2 bay drive is great, but cannot handle these tasks smoothly at all.
I just looked and google actually has the same exact features (for free) all photos upload them for free.
I will use Cloud Sync Station to do this and get all my photos online with face recognition and GEO mapping a lot faster and without using my storage space.

I recommend others to do the same.
i use nas so google not have my data... :roll:

xexebanana
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by xexebanana » Thu May 31, 2018 6:12 pm

I wonder why is it so slow. Could it be the acess to the PSQL database? Memory? CPU?
DS211j & DS215j

HurdyGurdy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by HurdyGurdy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:52 pm

xexebanana wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:22 pm
vij wrote:Why "moving" pictures from PhotoStation to Moments?

Philippe
No it´s not possible.

See the multiple post in this forum about that issue
It is now, Synology released a patch that allows you to link to photostation locations

Johnmmg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Johnmmg » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:40 pm

I have a hate love relationship with Moments. I am using the Backup Option to copy all my photos from my Google Pixel 2 XL phone over my Synology RT2600AC router. This should be very quick. BUT this is sooooo slooooow. I still have very slow issues with playing back Videos in Moments. This I have commented about before. I hate the most is that I never get any feedback what so ever from someone at Synology to address our issues. I have no idea if any one is working on these issues.
I have the 416 Play edition and the Western Digital Red 5400rpm hard drives. Video that I ripped from DVD legally run great in DS Video. But in Moments there is so much buffering that it is painful and frustrating. I am considering of taking all the videos on Moments and putting them on DS Video.

Johnmmg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Johnmmg » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:07 pm

I just want to comment on one or 2 other items. In my experience at least until recently, Photo viewing on Moments is great, works, smoothly, no issues at all. Really fast access, etc. I can't complain about that part. Again it is that Video buffer at least every few seconds.buffer and photo uploading is way slow.
One thing that could slow things down is if Moments is trying to index files. This defiantly would bring everything to a halt, period. In my past experience with DS photos when I uploaded a big batch of photos/videos I would have to wait even several hours for the indexing/converting the thumbnail photos to finish before I could use the NAS again.

Return to “Moments”