Release date for DS2418+

The general discussion room of 2018 Synology Products.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
simk0003
I'm New!
I'm New!

Release date for DS2418+

Unread post by simk0003 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:58 am

Hi everyone,

I have a DS2411+ and love it, but its time for an upgrade. Does anyone know when the DS2418+ is due to be available? I dont want to get the 15 just in case.

rgarjr
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Release date for DS2418+

Unread post by rgarjr » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:21 pm

No one knows that information unless of course you work at Synology.
Last edited by rgarjr on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
DS509+ | DS918+ | DS3617xs

iknowtech
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by iknowtech » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:31 pm

I would have a hard time imagining that it won't be released sometime in the next couple of months. Its one of the last remaining x15 models in the entire fleet that hasn't been refreshed, and the oldest + series unit now, so its definitely next up for refresh. The RS2418+ came out earlier this month, I would assume the already released rackmount version will likely be identical to the upcoming DS Desktop version other than form factor, so design is probably already complete, and only thing holding up release at this point might be DS2415+ inventory reductions.

DaAzrael
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by DaAzrael » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 am

I'm in exactly in the same situation. Owning a DS2411+ and waiting for the successor. In my opinion this model refresh is way overdue.

At least, if we're lucky it'll be relased with the "new" Intel Denverton CPU and ECC memory. On the other hand, Synology is sometimes horribly conservative about hardware refreshs or "new" technologies. Even while they're releasing the DS1618+ with a Denverton CPU and ECC, they might still release a DS2418+ with an Avoton CPU (and/or again without ECC). I really like their software (DSM/packages) a lot, but concerning their hardware I get more and more disappointed... :cry:

iknowtech
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by iknowtech » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:01 am

DaAzrael wrote:I'm in exactly in the same situation. Owning a DS2411+ and waiting for the successor. In my opinion this model refresh is way overdue.

At least, if we're lucky it'll be relased with the "new" Intel Denverton CPU and ECC memory. On the other hand, Synology is sometimes horribly conservative about hardware refreshs or "new" technologies. Even while they're releasing the DS1618+ with a Denverton CPU and ECC, they might still release a DS2418+ with an Avoton CPU (and/or again without ECC). I really like their software (DSM/packages) a lot, but concerning their hardware I get more and more disappointed... :cry:
I'm guessing at this point we wont see anymore new Avoton models. Seems like they have finally moved past that, thankfully.

iknowtech
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by iknowtech » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:36 pm

DS2419+ announced at Computex, pretty much as expected. C3000 Series CPU, 4GB DDR4 RAM, 1 PCIe slot for 10GB or SSD Cache Card.

https://www.span.com/product/Synology-D ... RAM-~68037

Apparently I was wrong about not seeing anymore C2000 Series units, apparently some dumb ass at Synology thought it would make sense to use it in the new RS1219+. What a way to introduce a brand new product, an 8 bay low depth Rack mount. Hmm, lets see how much we can negatively impact interest, by using a 5+ year old CPU, that underwent a massive recall. :roll: I'm sure people will be lining up for these, NOT!

https://www.span.com/product/Synology-R ... KIT-~68039

I can only assume they still have a lot of these motherboards they feel like they need to clear out of inventory, I have to assume it uses the same board as the DS1817+.

DaAzrael
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by DaAzrael » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Yeah I saw the same bs with the RS1219+. At first I scratched my eyes and thought it could only be a mistake made by the author of the article. But then I saw the pictures of the official Synology specs from Taiwan... :x :roll:

So right now I'm in between feeling happy they didn't screw up the DS2419+....
... and feeling that I shouldn't feel happy just because they did an adequate job (after 4 years without a new model for this line...).

The difference between an adequate and a good job would be:
- supporting 10GB NIC AND m2. SSD Cache (e.g. integrating 10GB or the m2. slots in the base model, not optional...)
- supporting more than 32GB Memory (CPU would support up to 256GB but that would be excessive and cost too much memory slots)
- providing a compatibility list for the RAM expansion (the 'original' Synology memory is way overpriced and producing and selling memory isn't their strenght/main business anyway...)
- selling the base model with ECC Memory (not only the 2x16GB upgrade)

While I really enjoy the Synology Software and eco system: Why is their hardware always a little dated...? Especially compared to the competition...

Return to “2018 Synology Hardware Discussion”