NAS newbie - DS218+

The general discussion room of 2018 Synology Products.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
mdelvecchio
I'm New!
I'm New!

NAS newbie - DS218+

Unread post by mdelvecchio » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 pm

Hey folks,

I’m new to the NAS scene and am planning on getting the DS218+. My use cases will be Apple Time Machine, home CCTV via Amcrest POE cameras, and Plex server. I figure I’ll get the memory expansion for it to upgrade it to 6GB.

I’m just curious how long the DS218+ has been on the market? Does Synology release improved models very often? This one is about $300 USD and I want to make sure a new one isn’t just around the corner.

thanks!
matt

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: NAS newbie - DS218+

Unread post by mike42dk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 am

Hi

Synology don't reveal anything about new DS, until they almost are on the market.

There was a DS216+ before the DS218+, and the DS218+ came out in 2017.

So if Synology should follow that strategy, then there's not coming a DS 220+ until next yea, but you never know.

Here is a list of what processors there's inside the DS, it gives you a idea of the different models, and how often there's a new coming.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... y_NAS_have
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

Return to “2018 Synology Hardware Discussion”