Synology NAS for dummies?

The general discussion room of 2018 Synology Products.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
mcleaver
I'm New!
I'm New!

Synology NAS for dummies?

Unread post by mcleaver » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:04 pm

I find the info available quite daunting.
I am used to a straightforward Windows backup strategy with Robocopy. Does Cloud sync make the backup available to apps such as Plex/Video Station etc? Do I have normal Windows file access?

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: Synology NAS for dummies?

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm

cloud sync is not a backup tool. Hyper Backup tool is. All official Syno apps can be backed up via HB tool. Plex is a 3rd party one so that app can be backed up using a different route but it can be done, yes.

Windows SMB/CIFS access is possible as well.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

mcleaver
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mcleaver » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi Rusty

Thanks for that, but I am still not quite sure how to proceed. Is there a site somewhere with a simple narrative for non-nerds like me? The info all seems to be written for people who already know how things work.
I am looking for a simple guide for dummies to:
- There seem to be more than one username/password to access the NAS?
- I want to allow family to log in remotely. Do they have to use my Quickconnect access?
- Can I use my present backed-up folders with Hyper Backup?
- Do Plex, Video Station etc work on files and folders both from Windows/SMB and Hyper Backup?
Thanks
Martin

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Along side this forum you can start by checking out Synology DSM KB or help app (or web app) for any detail instructions on specific topics. A beginner guide is not something you will find. The OS is complex enough (yet simple) that doesn't make sense to create such a guide just because there is a large number of modules that some users need and other don't.
- There seem to be more than one username/password to access the NAS?
You can create a large number of account along side the default 'Admin/root' account
- I want to allow family to log in remotely. Do they have to use my Quickconnect access?
There is no your or their QC. There is a single one per NAS, so yes, all users use the same QC address in order to land on that specific NAS. They will be identified via their specific username and account that you can create for them
- Can I use my present backed-up folders with Hyper Backup?
HB can use and manipulate all files/folders that it can see in its root shared folders that you create.
- Do Plex, Video Station etc work on files and folders both from Windows/SMB and Hyper Backup?
All applications will be able to use files and folders that are visible to them (some apps need special accounts/permissions) within created shared folders on the NAS itself.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

mcleaver
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mcleaver » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Still not quite there. I opened Hyper Backup, but it starts by asking if I want a Data or LUN task. No idea what that means. And then it wants to know where to save to - but apparently FROM my DS?
Then I checked the DSM Help files and when it talks about backup it says: "Go to Package Center, find Cloud Station Server, and then click Install." Hence my query about the Cloud. Should I use Hyper or Cloud?
ANd what are the settings to just backup from my PC to the DS?

mcleaver
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mcleaver » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 pm

I also tried going to my quickconnect.to/xxxxxx page, but I can't log in as one of the family with an email, only with my own QC username and password. Why not with the DSM username and password?

WST16
Versed
Versed

Unread post by WST16 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:00 pm

mcleaver wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 pm
Is there a site somewhere with a simple narrative for non-nerds like me?
Hi,

Check the following:
https://www.amazon.com/Synology-NAS-Set ... B00IXSHUNG

Not for free. You”ll have to decide if this is simple enough. I think this is also available through Apple for iBooks too.
DS216+II : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 : Mac user

mcleaver
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mcleaver » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 pm

It's pretty wierd if you have to buy a book from Amazon to set up a NAS. I forgot to mention that the docs wrong-footed me from the start. They suggested that the network access name was //NASname/volume 1/foldername, when it turns out to be //NASname/foldername.Why is Synology so disorganised?

WST16
Versed
Versed

Unread post by WST16 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:22 pm

mcleaver wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 pm
It's pretty wierd if you have to buy a book from Amazon to set up a NAS.
What’s weird about it?! Your very post title is a hint for a famous book series! It says “I want a book”
You don’t have to buy it from amazon. Buy it from Apple :-)
DS216+II : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 : Mac user

akahan
Navigator
Navigator

Unread post by akahan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:19 am

Your fundamental misunderstanding is that you are under the impression that your NAS will back up your PC.

It won't.

(There is software from Synology called "Drive" that you can put on the PC, but it will only backup particular folders to the NAS.)

Hyper Backup is for backing up the NAS itself to something else: Another NAS, or cloud storage, typically.

If you want to back up your PC, and store the backup on the NAS, your best bet is to install a backup program of your choice on the PC (or use the built-in Windows backup) and tell that program to use the NAS as the destination for storing the backup.

You would create a "user" on the NAS, and create a folder in that user's home directory to store your backups. If you are backing up several PCs, you might want to create a separate folder for each PC's backup.

Make sure to enable Windows file sharing on the NAS (Control Panel / File Services / Enable SMB).

Then, in the backup program you've installed on your PC (I like Macrium Reflect, but there are many from which to choose), you would configure the login credentials you created for the NAS, so the backup program can access the NAS to store its backups.

Is it necessary to get a book? I didn't, and neither did 99% of the millions of others who have successfully set up their Synology NAS's. For the most part, it's about being willing to take the time to read the documentation carefully and all the way through so that you can get a holistic sense of the scope of what the machine offers, before embarking on specific tasks. The NAS is like a Swiss army knife: It can do thousands of different things, it's highly customizable, and there is no single straightforward way, or even a default way, to set it up - you read the documentation, figure out what you want yours to do, and set it up to do that.

That said, if you don't have the patience to do all that and want to save yourself a lot of time, that book on Amazon looks pretty good.
DS214play, DS216play, DS216, DS212J, DS414, DS816, rt2600ac

mcleaver
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mcleaver » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:17 am

Hey, thanks for that., Akahan!
That makes complete sense. I can carry on using my previous backup strategy. (Scheduled batched Robocopy plus Windows backup.) Strange that the docs are so obtuse on this.
Now to work out whether I'm better off using Plex or the Synology video option.
Thanks again.

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 am

Plex +1. Can't recommend VS at all. But thats just me.

Mcklain
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Mcklain » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:40 pm

There is an upcomming package upgrade for active backup, called active backup for business.
For the current package you had to have open shares to backup files to NAS from a client PC but with the new version (from my understanding) you will be able to do a complete baremetal backup (or recovery) of a client PC on youre network from the NAS.
Current version is also agentless so I dont know for the new version if that will still be the case (doubt it for the baremetal recovery.

I am really looking forward to that upgrade. For now I am using the free Veeam backup agent and backing up client PC's to the NAS. Works really good and is reliable.

https://youtu.be/JuYoTfheBaM?list=WL&t=235
| DS918+ | DSM 6.1.6 | WD6001FFWX x3 (SHR) |

akahan
Navigator
Navigator

Unread post by akahan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Unfortunately, Active Backup only runs on x64-based Synology machines running btrfs.
DS214play, DS216play, DS216, DS212J, DS414, DS816, rt2600ac

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Active backup for business is in the beta channel: https://www.synology.com/en-global/beta ... iness_beta

Return to “2018 Synology Hardware Discussion”