Doh!

In DSM 6.2 Beta, we aim to provide better IT management flexibility and usability in every aspect. The new Advanced LUN, iSCSI Manager, and Storage Manager take management efficiency to a whole new level. Security update with no service downtime in SHA and abnormal DSM login detection bring you a more powerful but secure DSM.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
mrbroons
I'm New!
I'm New!

Doh!

Unread post by mrbroons » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Note to self, please read the instructions and assume the worst.

I did read the note stating that you couldn't downgrade from the new DSM Beta, but I stupidly assumed that it meant (without re-installing the whole NAS). Unfortunately I now find out that you cannot ever downgrade, which is disappointing as I'm finding a few issues with the new version that I would now like to avoid. Ho Hum.
regards,

Jim.

telos
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Doh!

Unread post by telos » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Only the intrepid embrace the beta. In fact, it can be troublesome to take on minor patches. FWIW, never let your system auto-update.

But there are ways to get back home... This post shares some links that describe reverting to an earlier DMS version 6.
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 80#p475882

Hope this helps.

mrbroons
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mrbroons » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:38 am

Many many thanks. I'm new to Synology, I have 3 QNAP NAS and now 2 Synology, the other is a 218+. Sorry to be such a newb, but will take a look at those links and if nothing else I will just have to wait for the full release of 6.2 and get off the beta path at that point. Many thanks for the links, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Jim.
regards,

Jim.

florid
Novice
Novice

Unread post by florid » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:40 am

Would you share what issues that you want to avoid so that we can prepare whether to upgrade to 6.2?

mrbroons
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mrbroons » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:01 am

First to answer the downgrade question.

Unfortunately I cannot complete the guide on the Youtube video as I don't have the folder /Dev/SynoBIOS2 so I cannot make the changes required. I have even looked at changing the /etc/VERSION to another older version and going from there but again this doesn't work, so it looks like I'm stuck until 6.2 comes out officially and I can upgrade it.

The issues I was finding were that the unit would run really slowly and every now and then freeze, so it made the unit fairly useless.
regards,

Jim.

doubleroll
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by doubleroll » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 pm

mrbroons wrote:First to answer the downgrade question.

Unfortunately I cannot complete the guide on the Youtube video as I don't have the folder /Dev/SynoBIOS2 so I cannot make the changes required. I have even looked at changing the /etc/VERSION to another older version and going from there but again this doesn't work, so it looks like I'm stuck until 6.2 comes out officially and I can upgrade it.

The issues I was finding were that the unit would run really slowly and every now and then freeze, so it made the unit fairly useless.
I do not experience the slow downs but did have an issue with some false security warnings shortly after I installed the beta. I put in a case or bug report (i forget) but support emailed within 24hrs and confirmed it was a bug. They also offered to remotely fix the issue prior to the official fix in firmware. I chose to wait until the fix is out. Hope that helps...
DS1513+ Beta 6.2

Return to “DiskStation Manager 6.2 Beta”