The M2 slot / Passive video card swap?

The general discussion room of 2017 Synology Products.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Skar
Sharp
Sharp

The M2 slot / Passive video card swap?

Unread post by Skar » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:57 am

In this comment on the storage review website.

"Both the DS1517+ and the DS1817+ come with a PCIe slot that allows users to install either an optional 10GbE network interface card or Synology’s new M2D17 M.2 SATA SSD adapter. "

I know a lot of us actually want superior video transcoding capabilities. above and beyond the current limitations offered by the CPUs we have been delivered in recent history (DS1517+ / DS1817+) .

Would it be outside the realm of possibility for Synology to offer a headerless or non headerless video card, with an AMD/Intel chipset that Plex/Video Station could access for transcoding video. I think it would have to Synology, since I personally would want easy intergration into the OS. Rembering that Plex have a hardware transcoding beta going on at the moment. Ideally we would want a chipset on the video card with the highest possible video transcoding standard (Can't remember the test for this).

My understanding, and it is a bit out of date, is that video transcoding on modern cards, is a low power/low heat process. However it would get us around the underpowered processors in the current 17+ iteration of devices.

Happy to hear any thoughts.

Skar
Sharp
Sharp

Re: The M2 slot / Passive video card swap?

Unread post by Skar » Thu May 04, 2017 7:07 pm

I was surprised that no one had an opinion about a headerless video card. Obviously we are all happy with the current transcoding capabilities of our Synologies :)

I personally think we will be unlikely to ever a processor fast enough, for a price most can afford in the + series synologies.

Skar
Sharp
Sharp

Re: The M2 slot / Passive video card swap?

Unread post by Skar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Well it seems that QNAP went and did this on their new upper range models.

You can add a Gfx card from Nvidia. Go to 10:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEJOAG ... e=youtu.be

Come on Synology, get a bit cleverer with the hardware. The software is great, it's just the hardware is so middle of the road.

Return to “2017 Synology Hardware Discussion”