Backing Up Windows User Directories

The discussion room for the Active Backup package
NotoriousNAS
Beginner
Beginner

Backing Up Windows User Directories

Postby NotoriousNAS » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone else was having issues running Active Backup on user directories from Windows machines (specifically Win10)? After I run my backup task finishes, there is an error in the Active Backup log that says a bunch of files could not be copied (see below). The files appear to be system files that are usually hidden to the user. Even still, the "Users" directory is shared out with "full control" permissions for the user I've configured in Active Backup, so I don't see what the problem is.

Could it be that these files are locked??? If so, would I have to run this backup against a Windows Server machine instead of Windows 10 machine to get around the locking. Synology does say on the Active Backup beta sign up site that "With Windows VSS integration, the consistency of your backup data from Windows Servers is guaranteed."

So what you all think? Permissions or Locked files? Any ideas on how to deal with this ?

Here are a few files that could not be copied:

/Users/Jsmith/ntuser.ini.
/Users/Jsmith/ntuser.dat.LOG1
/Users/Jsmith/ntuser.dat.LOG2
/Users/Jsmith/NTUSER.DAT
etc...
german_user
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Backing Up Windows User Directories

Postby german_user » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:43 pm

I haven't worked with the beta for Active Backup- but does it have similar file restrictions to what CloudStation backup does?
NotoriousNAS
Beginner
Beginner

Postby NotoriousNAS » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:54 pm

Nope, but maybe that's exactly what it needs. I think I'll submit a feature request !
lcompston
Beginner
Beginner

Postby lcompston » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:00 pm

NotoriousNAS wrote:Here are a few files that could not be copied:

/Users/Jsmith/ntuser.ini.
/Users/Jsmith/ntuser.dat.LOG1
/Users/Jsmith/ntuser.dat.LOG2
/Users/Jsmith/NTUSER.DAT
etc...

Without having experience with the Active Backup package I am not surprised that those particular files could not be copied.

Those files are related to the registry - the HKEY_CURRENT_USER and other profile related settings, and if the user is logged in they are always open and cannot be deleted, so it stands to reason they cannot be copied. Because it is attempting to pull the file from the machine across a network, rather than using an inbuilt client on the machine - it doesn't have access to the Shadow Copy infrastructure that would allow these to be backed up even when open.

They contain every per-user setting within a windows profile for any application that stores date in the registry - so if you change your Edge home page - it updates a registry key. If you change a default application for opening a pdf - it updates a registry key.
peppeson
Trainee
Trainee

Postby peppeson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:01 pm

So, you're saying that every open file cannot be backuped? i.e. outlook file
NotoriousNAS
Beginner
Beginner

Postby NotoriousNAS » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:48 pm

peppeson wrote:So, you're saying that every open file cannot be backuped? i.e. outlook file

Yes, I think that correct. Unless, you are backing up from a Windows Server machine which has VSS running. Although, I thought other versions of Windows like Windows 7,8,10 had VSS as well. So, I'm a little confused as to why you have to have Windows Server in order for the VSS integration to work?

Synology: " With Windows VSS integration, the consistency of your backup data from Windows Servers is guaranteed."
https://www.synology.com/en-us/beta/2017_ActiveBackup

Here is a little article about VSS with Windows 7
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/vss-volum ... py-service

It would be awesome to have this kinda of backup support for regular windows machines.
alister
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby alister » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Also running into this. Backup runs without VSS enabled but misses all the system files in use and other files like the Outlook OST file. Enabling it comes back with error "Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is not supported. C$". The service is running on target for sure.

Bug?
onesolo
Trainee
Trainee

Postby onesolo » Fri May 26, 2017 9:54 am

I'm also trying to backup users directories in several Windows 10 machines and a Windows Server 2008. As we all know, Volume Shadow Copy is supported in Windows for ages, both in Server editions as in consumer (Pro) editions...
Can someone explains to me why when I try to use this option in Active Backup, I always get an error saying that is not supported?!? This can only be a bug, right?!
Synology DS916+ 8GB RAM with 2x2TB WDD RED
decstewartje
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby decstewartje » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Same problem with opened archive PST's.

I suspect there is different VSS technology between OS's. Server employs VSS for SMB (FS-VSS-Agent) where I don't see that as an option for client OS's. This is the only thing I can see where there would be a limitation, but doesn't explain why other backup programs (especially Arconis) can perform this but DSM can't.

It also chokes on those dumb legacy placeholders ("My Pictures", "My Videos", etc) in the documents folder, and for whatever reason, Active Backup can not exclude ANYTHING.

Return to “Active Backup”