Does the Encrypted Network Backup use SSH?

Discuss the Beta 4xx for the 406 Series here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Rimmer100
Novice
Novice

Does the Encrypted Network Backup use SSH?

Postby Rimmer100 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:45 pm

Hello,

I was looking at the new firmware and saw under the EZ Internet Option that the Encrypted Network Backup has the option to open port 22.

Does this mean that it is using SSH?

If so is there any reason why we can't connect to the Cubestation via this method, if it is already set up anyway?

(I am aware that it can be installed etc but I don't want to fiddle about with it too much)

Also does the Cubestation automatically open the ports for BT when using the download station if a Upnp router is found?

Should there be an option for this in the EZ internet system?

Thanks
NetBoot
Ace
Ace

Postby NetBoot » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:55 pm

Yes the backup is done over a secure tunnel. I'm assuming both CubeStations are both CS-406.

Please explain your setup so users here can help with your Backup problem. Does you internet ip address change? If so, you may need to setup DDNS.

Currently, you'll have to open up the ports on your router for BT. But there's was a suggestion made to make it available via EZ-Internet in the next firmware release.

Net....
Product Model: DS-106
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 - 0640

I have my reasons for my insanity....
Rimmer100
Novice
Novice

Postby Rimmer100 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:08 pm

Thanks for the response.

I did some digging and found that once Network Backup is enabled the SSH port becomes active, before you set anything else up.

You can then open a putty connection with the CubeStation.

That is where this ends, as the username and password aren't the same as the normal ones for the system.

To be honest I am not really interested in gaining access to the box through putty etc. as my linux skills are non existent. All I would like is for there to be SFTP as an option as this is more secure than the current method using SSL. As SSH is already on the box enabling an sftpd service wouldn't be too tricky.....would it?

Unfortunately the BT sites I use need ratio information passed to them. I tried a quick test run and the torrent refused to download even after I opened ports on my router. I did enjoy using the download service to grab a file off a website though. It also seemed to get a better rate that way, then when I do it to a machien, so I might leave it turned on.
NetBoot
Ace
Ace

Postby NetBoot » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:30 pm

Rimmer100 wrote:Thanks for the response.

I did some digging and found that once Network Backup is enabled the SSH port becomes active, before you set anything else up.

You can then open a putty connection with the CubeStation.

That is where this ends, as the username and password aren't the same as the normal ones for the system.

To be honest I am not really interested in gaining access to the box through putty etc. as my linux skills are non existent. All I would like is for there to be SFTP as an option as this is more secure than the current method using SSL. As SSH is already on the box enabling an sftpd service wouldn't be too tricky.....would it?

Unfortunately the BT sites I use need ratio information passed to them. I tried a quick test run and the torrent refused to download even after I opened ports on my router. I did enjoy using the download service to grab a file off a website though. It also seemed to get a better rate that way, then when I do it to a machien, so I might leave it turned on.

You would then need to forward port 22 in your router on both ends to your cubestation. Then use the same admin password for the remote cubestation. You need to complete the Network Backup configuration and create your Network Backup settings for those parameters.

You don't need to TELNET(putty) in to set this up. Just use the Administrators web page to configure your settings.

You won't be able to do sftp with the syno boxes so that option is out of the question because sftp-server isn't implemented for such access.

Except, if you want to modify the box.

As far as your BT problem it was suggested to included this in the next firmware release. Currently not availble at this time.

Net....
Product Model: DS-106
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 - 0640

I have my reasons for my insanity....
Rimmer100
Novice
Novice

Postby Rimmer100 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:25 am

I'm not sure you read my response correctly.

I wasn't actually looking to set up the network backup. One of these boxes filled up with hard disks was enough for my bank account :wink:

I was just more interested in the fact that if SSH was on the box it couldn't be too difficult for the synology peeps to install an sftp daemon on there. I'm aware it's not there at the moment.

I'm not interested in modding the box. Not unless I get a second one so I do have somewhere to back up all my data to.

I look forward to any updates on the bittorrent front.

I was advised to update to the beta firmwire to fix a recurring bad sector report on one of my drives. So far so good!

Return to “Beta: Firmware 4xx for 406 Series”