.odoc Files

Discussion room for Office beta package
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
jsprague
I'm New!
I'm New!

.odoc Files

Unread post by jsprague » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 am

Hello,

I am confused about the .odoc files that are created by Office. In Drive, when you download them, they are saved as a docx file. That's good. When you download them from Filestation, the are saved as a .odoc file which can't be opened by MS Word, or any other apps I have. If I map a drive to a folder that has Office docs, they are in .odoc file. Again, can't do anything with those. So, I guess I am asking what the point of Office is if it creates files that really can only be accessed on the Synology via Filestation or Drive?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

alephan
Trainee
Trainee

Re: .odoc Files

Unread post by alephan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:59 pm

I have the same question. I use drive client on linux and all the files are odoc or osheet. They are not real files. They are actually references to internal objects.
For example:
{"object_id":"1026_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.sh"}

I am trully confused how this is supposed to work and how was it designed in the first place.
DiskStation DS716+II is great hardware which runs a pretty buggy but beautiful software.

gokky
Versed
Versed

Unread post by gokky » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:06 pm

alephan wrote:I have the same question. I use drive client on linux and all the files are odoc or osheet. They are not real files. They are actually references to internal objects.
For example:
{"object_id":"1026_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.sh"}

I am trully confused how this is supposed to work and how was it designed in the first place.
Documents in SynologyOffice behave like GoogleDocs, which means two (or more) users are able to simultaneously edit same file. Ofcourse it would be nice if there would be folder copy of file (thus rendering file available over SMB ofr AFP), however objects are stored in (some type of) internal database. But at least, from first version, office is able to directly navigate M$/LibreOffice files through well known shares.

lpG

Alextaz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Alextaz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 am

Hello,

I love the option for co-editing in synology office, this is fantastic !

but i would like to find a way to backup the office files to another nas or data windows server ...is there a solution ?

I try to copy the *.osheet or *.odoc filesto antoher server, but they are only 1Ko...so i don't really backup the enterly data ..?

I would like to have a full backup of my office files iif the nas crash for any reason...

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Twisted World » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Same here. Loving the option to use office documents directly on my NAS, but reverted back to OpenOffice because there is no good way to backup my documents in a format that can be read without a Synology NAS. Of course Hyper Backup can do the job of offsite backups, but then I would be required to restore to a Synology if my main box ever crashes, gets stolen, struck by lightning, etc. Maybe I won't feel like buying another one of these boxes. I want my documents in a format that doesn't lock me into the Synology ecosystem.
[ DS918+ | DS916+ | DS216+II | DS1815+ | DS115j | EDS14 | DS212+ | DS211+ | DS411slim ]

gokky
Versed
Versed

Unread post by gokky » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:19 pm

The inability to use created files through shares (and thus also outside Synology) is for me a firs crucial reason NOT TO USE Synology Office.

The second one is a linkage to Drive which additionally requests File Indexing - alltogether slows down my not so weak DS214play to unusability.

Return to “Office”