PCTV 292e Triplestick Linux driver here-how do I install it?

Questions that don't fit in any category below may go here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
stevepitman
I'm New!
I'm New!

PCTV 292e Triplestick Linux driver here-how do I install it?

Unread post by stevepitman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:58 pm

My full question is: "How do I install a Synology driver for the T2 DVB tuner PCTV 292e Triplestick, now that a Linus driver IS available?"

I want to use a Synology Diskstation DSM 5.0 to record HD TV (i.e. DVB-T2).

To do this I have:
a) the PCTV 292e Triplestick DVB tuner (http://bit.ly/1eWBftN)
b) the DVBLink software (http://bit.ly/1isWCYk), which states compatibility with the previous version of this (the PCTV 290e, but with a Windows driver)
c) my Synology NAS (DS214play).

On 15 April 2014 Antti Palosaari developed the (Linux) driver for the PCTV tripleStick 292e DVB tuner on his blog (http://bit.ly/1h6TKeV) and on the Linuxtv.org website (http://bit.ly/1kDIyfn).

So it looks like these things should all now play well together.

However, the outstanding question for us Synology users is how do we install this DVB T2 Linux driver on the Synology Disk Station?

Antti’s advice was that he's made available the whole kernel on his linuxtv.org tree - just download it, compile and install it (he doesn’t know how the Synology NAS kernel is compiled or installed as that wasn’t his objective in developing it)

If anyone can offer any advice on how to do this it would be much appreciated!

Steve

Elador
Beginner
Beginner

Re: PCTV 292e Triplestick Linux driver here-how do I install

Unread post by Elador » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:15 pm

dvblogic is now selling this stick together in their package, i.e. they are recommending it.

So I guess it should "just work" now?

Did you or anybody else get it to work yet?

stevepitman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by stevepitman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:35 am

Yes I did.

You need to downloaded the DVB Logic software (http://dvblogic.com/en/software/) which includes their server (it has the driver) as well as a link to an EPG service (I'm using digiguide).

DVB Logic isn't the most intuitive to set up, but it's not hard once you've cracked it.

I can now record HD terrestrial TV in the UK (I just cna't get my DS214play to hibernate in between recordings)

greg_h
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by greg_h » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:58 pm

I've got a PCTV 292e and a 214play... I've disabled DTV in DS Video Station but DVBLink can't find any tuners. I'm using the front USB 2 port.

Any ideas?

stevepitman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by stevepitman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Greg,

Not sure if these will help but make sure you've got the current DVBLogic version (it's 5.1.0 - the previous version does NOT have the driver installed and will NOT find the tuner)

sandandstars
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by sandandstars » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:35 pm

This is my experience of using the PCTV 292e on a DS115j:

It does basically work with DBLink. However, the software is not easy to use. Problems I had:
- It would record HD but added harsh lines to the edge of moving objects
- It doesn't automatically set up the EPG. I had to find an XMLTV server http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/*check ... /xmltv.dtd and add it using their convoluted interface
- The recording directory is specified in a linux format (/var/...) which doesn't obviously relate to File Manager. Whatever I changed it to was accepted but recording failed to work. When I changed it back to what it had been originally (copy and paste) it still failed to record, as well as kept giving the "Zero space on disk" popup.

When you install DBLink it installs the USB drivers. After this, you can use VideoStation (which is free) without having to activate or buy DBLink. And, VideoStation records HDTV very well (no jagged edges). However:
- VideoStation seems to randomly restart recordings, resulting in multiple files for one recording or even lost endings
- When it begins a timed recording it starts streaming it, and doesn't stop streaming it, ever
- Series record is weird
- [Note, Channel scan looks like it's failed and takes maybe half an hour, but does work - don't press Cancel!]

Also, having anything plugged into the USB socket will prevent it from hibernating https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/568

Overall, I couldn't get TV recording to work satisfactorily.
If you have overcome these problems, please share!

foufoulol
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: PCTV 292e Triplestick Linux driver here-how do I install it?

Unread post by foufoulol » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:37 am

hello,

I 've got the same problem with my synology DS215J.
I use PCTV 292e with tvheadend server to stream TV to XBMC.
But I need the DVBlink server to run for having my PCTV 292e recognized.
Are you sure that when my DVBlink trial license will expire, the 292e will still be recognized ?
I doubt it.
However, this is very sad to run a server (dvblink) just for a stupid driver :(

Jabone
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Jabone » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:03 pm

DVBLink has probably dvb-modules loading in startup script.
I have tvheadend running and have inserted dvb-module loading script from Video Station's startup script. I don't need to have Video Station running and using receiver instead of tvheadend so I have disabled the dvb from Video Station (I could not make Video Station work as I have would liked).

Hope this information helps you (and this has not come too late)

-Jabone

foufoulol
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by foufoulol » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi Jabone,

I don't understand how you make the 292e be recognized whithout DVBLink server.
I tried to stop DVBLink and run video station but it lost the 292e dongle, and tvHeadEnd too.

So how the video station startup script can solve the problem ?

Anyway, I should miss something.
But I want to try your method, can you tell me where did you find these script ?
Is there a module in tvheadEnd to insert them ?

thanks in advance, and sorry for my (bad) english

bacsom
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by bacsom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Sorry to bring this up, but I am also interested in the answer. DVBLink has just moved on to a new software (TVMosaic), which doesn't include any drivers anymore. Instead it uses Video Station to load the files. Unfortunately, on my system (DS214play) 292e is not supported. :-( The stick works with the new software as long as I keep the old DVBLink server, but it would be much better if I could load the driver myself.

Return to “General Mods”