HDD temp vs fan noise: Only 1 disk with heatsink in DS-207?

Questions that don't fit in any category below may go here
Forum rules
Please note the disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
Fredda
I'm New!
I'm New!

HDD temp vs fan noise: Only 1 disk with heatsink in DS-207?

Postby Fredda » Thu May 24, 2007 9:36 am

I'm thinking about buying a DS-207, but I want it to be really quiet. The fan noise is worrying me.

I don't really need the RAID option (yet, anyhow) and I'm thinking if a fruitful mod would be to attach some heatsink/cooler to the harddisk and to turn off or slow down the fan (with a Zalman Fan Mate eg) to make it more quiet and to still keep the HDD cool.

Has anyone thought about this or even tried it?
Would the system allow it?

/Fredda
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Franklin » Thu May 24, 2007 8:53 pm

Fredda-

The fan isn't that loud; the HDDs are louder than the fan. Also note that you have to intentionally listen for the system to hear the fan; if you are working in a office environment, the DS207 will sit in the corner and go unnoticed; unless you are performing HDD activity.

2nd Note--there is not enough room inside of the DS207 to support after market heatsink mods for HDDs.

3rd Note--We tested the Hitachi 1TB drive in our system, the drive temps didn't go above 47C
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
Fredda
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Fredda » Fri May 25, 2007 3:46 pm

Thanks for your reply.

1rst reply--I live in a very quiet apartment by a huge park: no noise, no traffic. And I have a noiseless computer. That's why I'm so picky about also the DS207 being quiet, especially since it's going to be on 24/7 in the very same room that I sleep.

2nd reply--I'm sure I'll find some heatsinks that fit. Not heatsinks made for HDDs but other I just could attach to the HDD in some way.

3rd reply--I'm planing on using a 250 gb drive. I'm sure it won't get too hot. But I also read that the fan is never spinning down with the current firmware. Would the system allow that I slow down the fan with a Zalman Fan Mate? And are the fans used standard, so I can exchange it when it's getting older and more noisy?
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Franklin » Fri May 25, 2007 9:16 pm

Fredda wrote:Would the system allow that I slow down the fan with a Zalman Fan Mate? And are the fans used standard, so I can exchange it when it's getting older and more noisy?

No, the system will maintain 100% power to the fan during active mode; during hibernation it will lower the fan speed to 65%; which in my opinion is dead silent. When the system is running at 100%, it's a noticeable noise, but it isn't obtrusive loud noise bearing down on me. But that's just my opinion.

With regards to replacements fans; if and when the fans are defective, you have two options

==Contact online support
==Replace the fan with the same one, the make/model number is on the fan itself, it should cost less than $5 USD.

Using a different fan is not recommended, because our hardware/software is specifically designed for the fan that we have selected for our system.
**Franklin is not available**

**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**

Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists

Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images

Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station

Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program

Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews

grouper
Student
Student

Re: HDD temp vs fan noise: Only 1 disk with heatsink in DS-207?

Postby grouper » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:38 pm

I am currently trying to reduce the noise from my 207+. I had a 101j before and was quiet surprised that the noise from the device is so much more than that of the 101j.
Where I could notice hdd movements from my 101j I do not hear them in my 207+ since the fan and the volumous case have a constant vibrating oise level, higher than those of my F1 Samsung.
At the moment I am using the 207+ with only one HDD, anyone any experience in running it without the fan, maybe the case opened a little bit? The case itself seems to me like a very good resonator, anyone any experience in limiting the resonance from the case itself?

Best regards, grouper
DS207+ 2* 1,5 TB + Twonky 4.4
HTPC: AMD Based XBMC
2* Roku Soundbridges 1 Squeezebox Radio
elishasessions
Rookie
Rookie

Postby elishasessions » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:24 am

Also note that you have to intentionally listen for the system to hear the fan

I'm astonished Franklin would say this.

I live in Hackney, London -- not the quietest neighborhood -- and the hum of my 207+ is considerable.

Franklin, try running a 207+ in your home. Try having that hum be the first thing you hear in the morning, and the last thing you hear when you go to sleep. Sure, I can power it down but it's a NAS -- the whole point is that is should be accessible 100% of the time.
Dark Shadow
Student
Student

Postby Dark Shadow » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi,

For what its worth I have a DS 207 and CS 407 1.5 Met from my pillow I have no problem sleeping (and I am a light sleeper) the CS 407 has on occasions annoyed me but I can barely hear the DS 207 i guess it sounds a little like rain outside.

Dark Shadow :wink:
CS-407 2 x Seagate Barracuda 500Gb 7200RPM 16Mb SATA 2 Drives and 2 Samsung 750Gb 32Mb SATA 2 Drives
DS-207 2x Seagate 320Gb 7200 16Mb Sata 2 Drives
DS-207 2 x Seagate Barracuda 500Gb 7200RPM 16Mb SATA 2 Drives
DS-207 2 x Seagate Barracuda 500Gb 7200RPM 16Mb SATA 2 Drives

DS-508 (5) 1TB Samsung HDD's
DS-209+ (2) 1TB Samsung HDD's
DS-1813+ WD Red NAS Drives
syrou
Trainee
Trainee

Postby syrou » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi all,

I don't agree with the noise being unobtrussive. I find it annoying for residential environments. Have already tried to remove the fan, and now it's a lot better. BUT now the NAS keeps beeping (fan failure alarm) and it finally switches off automatically after 5 mins, so there might be some kind of fan detection routine.

I'd be happy if it could be disabled, because I have read the temps (only have one disk on my DS207+) and it's ok without a fan.
vordan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby vordan » Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

It's really bad that is no option in the firmware (v598) to set fan speed
manually because my NAS never go in hibernation, it's like a bug...

I have found how to disable fan check and my DS-207+ is really silent now and
the maximum temperature of my WD Caviar GP WD10EACS is 47°C.

vordan
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Thu May 01, 2008 11:20 pm

I have found how to disable fan check

How? Please share this finding with us, thank you.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
vordan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby vordan » Fri May 02, 2008 1:01 pm

This work on my DS-207+ (firmware 2.0-0598) :

- disconnect the fan, the only solution... It will be very cool
if Synology allow to set fan speed manually... requested feature :wink:

- set "0" in the file "/sys/module/ds107+_synobios/parameters/check_fan"
to avoid bip each 2 seconds, but after a reboot you must do this again.

- I create a shell script in "/usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/" that i named "S99zz_fan_check_disable.sh"

- Write "echo 0 > /sys/module/ds107+_synobios/parameters/check_fan"
into this shell and change the permission "chmod +x S99zz_fan_check_disable.sh"
Nothing to do after reboot, and you get a really silent NAS :wink:

I'm searching a method to set fan speed and the dynamic library "/lib/libsynosdk.so.1"
contain "external_fan_config_speed_get.c" and "external_fan_config_speed_set.c"
so it is possible to change fans speed but I don't know how currently...

If someone is expert in dynamic library, and know how to find the function
that we could use to set fan speed, it will a better solution for our NAS
and also our ears :wink:

vordan
batistuta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby batistuta » Thu May 15, 2008 9:58 am

grouper wrote:At the moment I am using the 207+ with only one HDD, anyone any experience in running it without the fan, maybe the case opened a little bit?

I don't know about the 207+, but I have been running my 106e with the fan disconnected for more than a year with a 320gb WD drive, with no problems. I have just recently changed to a 1TB WD RE2 GP drive (RE2 is their 'server grade' drives for 24/7 operations and with 5yr warranty, GP is the Green Power series with very low power consumption and noise spinning at 5400-7200rpm).
Check http://www.storagereview.com/1000.sr?page=0%2C6 for more info on this drive.

I guess a problem with the more powerful models (ie 107+, 207+ etc) is the faster processor - 500MHz vs the 200MHz in my 106e, even if I managed to stop the beeping on the 107+ I would like to upgrade to AND run fanless (firmware 600 possibly?) - any comments or ideas???

ANY hum or vibration from a fan above the noise of the drive (which is low, but not silent) is unacceptable, and of course the fan should power off when the drive hibernates, but that' another problematic issue for Synology...
jostreet
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jostreet » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:50 am

I would like to do as Vordan suggests for my DS-207+, that is:

- set "0" in the file "/sys/module/ds107+_synobios/parameters/check_fan" to avoid bip each 2 seconds, but after a reboot you must do this again.

Unfortunately I don't know how to do this. Could some kind and patient person please explain how I can find and edit this file? Do I go through the Synology File Management program?

Thank you!
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:13 am

You need to modify your system - which may result in loosing warranty!

To start you should read the modification wiki, especially point 1 to 4
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
jostreet
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jostreet » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:18 am

Thank you, Harry. I appreciate the warning and the reference, which I read. The DOS-like commands seem reasonably straightforward.

Return to “General Mods”