Map a remote folder to a Shared folder

Questions that don't fit in any category below may go here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
D2v2
I'm New!
I'm New!

Map a remote folder to a Shared folder

Postby D2v2 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 am

Some how I have managed to do this before, but sadly I can't remember what I did and I can not find a single article on achieving it.

What I would like to do is have a shared folder map to a remote folder on another server. DSM forces you to create the map to a sub folder of the shared folder.

I obviously want this to be persistent and assume my current config must be stored in a file somewhere but again I seem unable to find the source of my current map.

There are entries in both /etc/mtab (which I believe gets written on boot rather than applying settings) and in /usr/syno/etc/mount.ini I'm not sure of the significance of this entry but I have tried entering the settings here but again it doesn't seem to create the connection. There is also no rc.local that I can see.

Any help would be much appreciated, I can't believe I am the only person wanting to do this but maybe I am searching on the wrong terms. (I am aware this could be a combination of mounting and symbolic links).

Cheers!
Goner
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Map a remote folder to a Shared folder

Postby Goner » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:29 pm

I always use FileStation - tools - mount remote folder ...

Just create a new shared folder like 'remote folder' and map a share on another NAS, mediaplayer, PC or whatever.
http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/tutorials/475

Don't understand what you mean with "DSM forces you to create the map to a sub folder of the shared folder."

NAS : DS212j with 2 ST2000DL003 in SHR / DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5
LAN : Fritz!Box 7170, 5 Devolo 200/500Mbps homeplugs, 2 5-port switches, Maxxter ACT-WNP-RP-002
HW : Raspberry Pi 2B & 3B, Conceptronic CHD3NET, ACRyan Playon!HD, Eminent EM7075dts, Wii, Wii U, PS2, D-Link DCS-930L
D2v2
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby D2v2 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Goner, what I mean is if you do as you say, try to create the mount from File Station with the following:

Folder: \\192.168.0.4\Data
User:
Password:
Map to: /Test

You get the following error: You can not mount a remote folder or virtual drive on a shared folder. Mound it on a subfolder instead.

However mounted folders have limitations. For the one I have some how set up in the past it treats it as if it were local storage. If I hadn't managed to do it previously I would accept you can't do it.

Just to add I'm on DSM 5 now but was on 4.something when I created the previous mapping.

Thanks
extremebacon
Rookie
Rookie

Postby extremebacon » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:46 pm

bump - I have the same problem. I just want to use the remote folder as a backup destination in the Standard Synology tool
nzCharlie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby nzCharlie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:11 am

Have you tried something like on command line

Code: Select all

mount -t cifs //server-name/share-name /volume1/somedirectory/share-name -o username=shareuser,password=sharepassword

assuming you already have an empty directory /volume1/somedirectory/share-name and of course change the share path, username and password.
extremebacon
Rookie
Rookie

Postby extremebacon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 am

I'm a bit reluctant of using the command line as this is tweaking beyond standard. I need the NAS to be stable above all and doing all sorts of stuff in the command line would break standard. Not that I don't think your line would to the trick and not that I dont appreciate you helping :)

For example, if I we're to do your trick, I would need to find out how to make it mount at boot and ensure that it always mounts no matter what. Maybe I'd need a warning if it didn't mount. I'd also be sharing a username and password in cleartext, should anyone gain access.
shareonline
Student
Student

Postby shareonline » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Would also love to be able to Mount a CIFS share as a shared folder. I need it to be permanent, so it has to run the above command at boot. Is this possible?

The NAS needs to "think" that the mounted folder is a normal shared folder. I need indexing of videos and music working in these mounts..

My reason for this is i have a DS710+ with extension, and 7 HDD in it. I don't need any more storage, i need a never "front end nas", that is faster than the DS710+.
My thought was that it would be possible to have my DS710+ as the "storage server", and a brand new DS214+ to run as a faster "front end nas".
For this i would need to Mount most of my shared CIFS folders from DS710+ to the new DS214+. And have the DS214+ act as it was it's own shared folders..

This would really be awesome!
keyboardcowboy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby keyboardcowboy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:17 pm

The problem with a mapped drive that the indexing of that folder doesn't work, so the movies doesn't show up in DS Video

I've found a "workaround" i place a folder in the normal video folder, so it gets indexed.

After it's index I move the movies, TV series to the "not" indexed folder with file station and after the move the links of the series/movies are updated.

Don't ask me why, I found it by accident ;-)

Return to “General Mods”