Backup Synology to WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra

Discussion room for the Hyper Backup package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
sympathy4thedyl
I'm New!
I'm New!

Backup Synology to WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra

Unread post by sympathy4thedyl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Hey there!

I just received my Synology DS918+ last week with the hopes of using it as my main photography archive. I want to back this archive up to a Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra that is connected to the same network. I tried going through USB first but the drive is not recognized by the DS918+. From what I have researched, the only way to do this is to enable SSH and rsync on the WD. I've found some walk throughs but have very little experience using linux and command lines. Is there an easy way to do this with what I've got, or should I just bite the bullet and find an external hd that will work through usb with the syno? My problem with that is that I need to be able to backup at least 8tb of data and externals at that capacity are quite costly... If rsync is the only way to go, can someone perhaps walk me through the process in the most basic terms possible?

babu65
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Backup Synology to WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra

Unread post by babu65 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 am

Return to “Hyper Backup”