Does Hyper Backup create a snapshot before backing up?

Discussion room for the Hyper Backup package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
tomtonic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Does Hyper Backup create a snapshot before backing up?

Postby tomtonic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:00 am

Hey guys,

:?: Does Hyper Backup create a local file system snapshot before executing a backup task when operating on btrfs volumes?

I'm sorry to ask but I couldn't find a clear answer on Google. Why do I assume it should do so?
a) Otherwise it's too easy to backup an inconsistent system state
b) Creating a local file system snapshot and discarding it after backup is really cheap and easy to do - at least on btrfs volumes

Thanks for your help, Tom.
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Does Hyper Backup create a snapshot before backing up?

Postby sincarne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:17 pm

no only snapshot replication have snapshot
tomtonic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tomtonic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Astonishing... it only seems to need two additional lines of code: https://www.linux.com/learn/how-create-and-manage-btrfs-snapshots-and-rollbacks-linux-part-2

Would there be a way to somehow glue them around the under-the-hood backup script?
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:04 pm

tomtonic wrote:Astonishing... it only seems to need two additional lines of code: https://www.linux.com/learn/how-create-and-manage-btrfs-snapshots-and-rollbacks-linux-part-2

Would there be a way to somehow glue them around the under-the-hood backup script?

hyper backup not work same way as snapshot replication. hyper backup create database and can store file on volume that not format as Btrfs. snapshot replication require btrfs on NAS and for where you send data
tomtonic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tomtonic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Thank you, sincarne. I'm sorry, probably my question was misleading. I know that Hyper Backup and Snapshot Replication are two different things. Yet, for Hyper Backup to archive the ability of sending a consistent system state, it is irrelevant whether the Hyper Backup Vault (i.e. "where you send data") stores on a volume with btrfs or not. It could easily do so.

My question was: Would there be a way to somehow glue them [i.e. the additional two lines] around the under-the-hood backup script [of Hyper Backup]?
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:43 pm

tomtonic wrote:Thank you, sincarne. I'm sorry, probably my question was misleading. I know that Hyper Backup and Snapshot Replication are two different things. Yet, for Hyper Backup to archive the ability of sending a consistent system state, it is irrelevant whether the Hyper Backup Vault (i.e. "where you send data") stores on a volume with btrfs or not. It could easily do so.

My question was: Would there be a way to somehow glue them [i.e. the additional two lines] around the under-the-hood backup script [of Hyper Backup]?

maybe you can do rsync script? hyper backup it just seem like it not work since it not do direct file copy

Return to “Hyper Backup”