Application Backup Versions

Discussion room for the Hyper Backup package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
sieberta
Rookie
Rookie

Application Backup Versions

Postby sieberta » Thu May 18, 2017 2:19 pm

So in a backup restore, you have...
The choice of which configuration (by date) you want to recover
The choice of which data (by date) you want to recover
No choice of which application backups (by date) you want to recover

Do you always get the latest backup of the applications? Or do you get the date from one of the previous two selections applied to the applications?

My concern is this... I would like to use the new Synology Active Directory functionality. But if the database becomes corrupted or a DSM or Application Update fails, I need to know that I can restore the old database/configuration to my other/older NAS.

So... are there versions of Application Backups? And if so, how do you choose which version to restore?

sieberta
sieberta
---------
DS415+ (12/2014), DS916+ (5/2017)
akahan
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Application Backup Versions

Postby akahan » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 pm

As far as I can tell, you can only restore the most recent backup of an application's data.
sieberta
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sieberta » Fri May 19, 2017 10:39 pm

akahan wrote:As far as I can tell, you can only restore the most recent backup of an application's data.

That, my friend, is quite unfortunate. I do have a question in to Synology Support on this as well. I'll post back if I get a response that suggests otherwise.

sieberta
sieberta
---------
DS415+ (12/2014), DS916+ (5/2017)
akahan
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby akahan » Mon May 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Even if Hyperbackup only allows you to restore the most recent version of an application's data, you can still save multiple versions by setting up multiple backup jobs.
For example, you can set up a backup job that saves application data and runs once a month, and saves to a particular folder ("Monthly"), and another one that runs weekly and saves to a particular folder ("Weekly"), and another one that runs daily and saves to yet another folder. This way, most of the time, you'll have multiple backups to choose from when restoring.

Return to “Hyper Backup”