Is anyone using a TP-Link re580d range extender

Discussion about the hardware compatibility of the Synology router.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
zortapa
Trainee
Trainee

Is anyone using a TP-Link re580d range extender

Unread post by zortapa » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:45 am

I just purchased and installed a TP-Link re580d range extender. Unfortunately, the device does not see the 5GHz signal from my Synology router, but it sees and connects to my 2.4GHz signal. Moreover, the RE580D can see the 5GHz signals from my neighbors' routers. Is there any reason that the TP-Link RE580D might not be compatible with the 5GHz signal from my Synology Router?
Synology RT1900AC
Synology DS216+II

AustinBike
Novice
Novice

Re: Is anyone using a TP-Link re580d range extender

Unread post by AustinBike » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:12 pm

I can't speak to your specific situation, but I will say that, in general, extenders suck.

The problem with extenders is that they do not boost your signal, they simply boost the appearance of your signal. If at the far end of your house you have 25% signal, putting an extender in between your computer and your router may boost your computer's connection %, but the connection between the extender and the router is still 25%. It only LOOKS better, it is not actually better. Additionally, when the extender connects, often it "reserves" bandwidth from the router, so that anyone else connecting has less bandwidth to work with.

The best extenders are those that allow hardwired connections. If you don't have an Ethernet connection to tie the two together, I have found that MOCA connections actually work very well. I have a screen porch with a metal half wall around it. The wall blocks wifi from the house and in building it we were stupid enough to not include Ethernet with the cable TV and electrical that was run to it. So, instead, we ran a MOCA connection over the coax and it works great, I actually have better performance out there than in most of my house.

vandyman
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by vandyman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:10 pm

Just curious, Would an outdoor antenna hooked to the router work? 8)
DS 716+ with 2 x 4TB WD red Drives, 8MB ram upgrade.
DX 213 with 2 x 3TB WD red Drives.
RT1900ac Router.

Maurice118
Versed
Versed

Unread post by Maurice118 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:16 pm

zortapa wrote:I just purchased and installed a TP-Link re580d range extender. Unfortunately, the device does not see the 5GHz signal from my Synology router, but it sees and connects to my 2.4GHz signal. Moreover, the RE580D can see the 5GHz signals from my neighbors' routers. Is there any reason that the TP-Link RE580D might not be compatible with the 5GHz signal from my Synology Router?
Probably you need to set the channel from the 5G manually and set it to a lower one. I am also not a fan of wireless extenders. I have setup 2 rt1900ac in ap mode to wifi coverage at good speeds all over my home. rt1900ac is all wired up to my isp router and some switches.
To get some more wifi power you can set a different country like India (probably not legal to do in your country, but it gives some more transmission power). Also using an external antenna could work. It is just something you have to try. No situation is equal depends on how many wifi points are in your neighborhood, reinforced concrete floors, double glass etc..
aka divx118 #synology at freenode.net
rt1900ac packages https://synology.timara.nl

zortapa
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by zortapa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Maurice118 wrote:Probably you need to set the channel from the 5G manually and set it to a lower one. I am also not a fan of wireless extenders. I have setup 2 rt1900ac in ap mode to wifi coverage at good speeds all over my home. rt1900ac is all wired up to my isp router and some switches.
To get some more wifi power you can set a different country like India (probably not legal to do in your country, but it gives some more transmission power). Also using an external antenna could work. It is just something you have to try. No situation is equal depends on how many wifi points are in your neighborhood, reinforced concrete floors, double glass etc..
You are correct. I had to go all the way down to channel 48, but it now is very stable and suits my particular needs perfectly.
Synology RT1900AC
Synology DS216+II

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”