extending router with DS211+

Discussion about the hardware compatibility of the Synology router.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
flight505
I'm New!
I'm New!

extending router with DS211+

Postby flight505 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:22 am

Hi i am looking into buying a synology router but i dont know if this is the right choice for me:

Background:
the main reasons for my inquiry is my network system is very slow, it´s very basic but fits my needs except for speed.
I have the NAS running as a timemachine and other backups, a PVR client with Plex streaming to my main Tv a samsung least years top model (or so the salesman told me :( ) and an older model. The samsung uses Plex app but this is now very very slow since multiple updates increased have the processor requirements.

my current router is a standard one sent by my ISP a netgear cg3700emr it has standard and 5G network but it does not cover my apartment very well but its just a couple of rooms that aren't covered (the apartment is actually two apartments put together. With a lot of bricks walls) so if the synology router only needs to provide somewhat better coverage.

if someone could help me clarify the following questions it would be a big help:

1) I have a USB3 harddrive i would connect to the router but i was thinking that it might be possible to disconnect the Synology Manager on the NAS and let the DS211 take advantage of the faster processor on the router - Would this be a possibility?

2) would the synology router provide better coverage then the netgear cg3700emr?

3) would the synology router provide a better experience with Plex?

4) i am doing it all wrong? - seriously would you recommend a better solution for me?

Thanks
Maurice118
Sharp
Sharp

Re: extending router with DS211+

Postby Maurice118 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:04 pm

1) No, not possible.
2) Always tricky to answer such a question. In my house I have very descent(good) coverage of the router. I only use it for upstairs. Downstairs I can also connect to it, but I have another d-link router (2.4 only) setup for coverage there. I must say the synology has the best range 5G and 2.4 of all the routers I got in the past, however there will be routers available that will have the same coverage at least in that price range.
3) No plex app available for the router.
4) I use an old laptop with linux and xbmc on it to connect to my TV and use shares from my NAS and shares from my usb connected drives to the router on it. This works really great. However if you want to keep using plex I would suggest a newer NAS with some more processor power. IMHO the router should be purchased as a router or AP not for what you want.
aka divx118 #synology at freenode.net
rt1900ac packages https://synology.timara.nl
flight505
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: extending router with DS211+

Postby flight505 » Tue May 03, 2016 4:44 pm

What? why is Plex not supported on the router, dont they run the same system ?
So non of the community apps work with the router?

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”