Using 4G modem as redundancy

Discussion about the hardware compatibility of the Synology router.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
emenick
Beginner
Beginner

Using 4G modem as redundancy

Postby emenick » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi

i am curious to whether it would be possible to plug in a 4G modem to the USB port of the RT1900ac, and use the mobile broadband connection as redundancy, if my ADSL connection fails? I can se that it has 4G dongle support, but in which sense? I suspect most 4G modems need ISP software to make the connection, so this is a long shot, but maybe someone has a comment on this?

Anyhow, thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michael
Syno_DnT
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Re: Using 4G modem as redundancy

Postby Syno_DnT » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:53 am

Hi Michael,

Yes, you may use the 4G USB dongle on RT1900ac as a failover option. However, we are still working on expanding the list of the supported 4G dongles in the link below. If you have a specific ISP/dongle you would like us to test, feel free to drop us a support email here: https://www.synology.com/en-global/form/suggest_device

https://www.synology.com/en-global/comp ... mode=false

D-n-T
Synology
sfb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sfb » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:41 pm

Android modem devices will be perfect :mrgreen:
FreeBeing
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby FreeBeing » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:46 pm

sfb wrote:Android modem devices will be perfect :mrgreen:

I completely agree with that, Android modem USB mode support is a good thing.
nicohi
Trainee
Trainee

Postby nicohi » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Hello,

I found a E398 key, working now on my RT1900. Question, how to setup failover, I did not found this option...
When I connect the 3G session, where to say that in case of ADSL shut down, it must use 3g connection ?
kc1
Experienced
Experienced

Postby kc1 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Syno_DnT wrote:Hi Michael,

Yes, you may use the 4G USB dongle on RT1900ac as a failover option. However, we are still working on expanding the list of the supported 4G dongles in the link below. If you have a specific ISP/dongle you would like us to test, feel free to drop us a support email here: https://www.synology.com/en-global/form/suggest_device

D-n-T
Synology

ZTE MF730M please
DS916+, DS412+ & 2x Netgear ReadyNAS, shared on gigabit ethernet, using Synology RT1900ac & Netgear GS110TP switches, to Win10 PCs, MacBook Air & streaming to Samsung UE40ES8000 + various Android devices
florian123
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby florian123 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:37 am

Syno_DnT wrote:Yes, you may use the 4G USB dongle on RT1900ac as a failover option.

Hi Syno_DnT,

how can a 4G USB dongle configured as a failover? It show's connected when we plug it in, however if we block our modem attached to the wan port it does not automatically route traffic through/over the dongle. Any advice?

Best,
F
sudetak
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sudetak » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:13 pm

Syno_DnT wrote:Hi Michael,

D-n-T
Synology

Some new model on "expanding" the list of the supported 4G dongles ?
FreeBeing
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby FreeBeing » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:04 am

I'm surprised there is not any Android modem (Android USB Connection share)...
Dintid
Student
Student

Postby Dintid » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Any modem options for outside of Asia?

I'm living in Denmark, and we have all kinds if Huwaii modems here, but the one I tested didn't register on either my RT1900 or my 1513 nas box.

Using an iPhone would also be nice as a sort of emergency for small office and home.

Someone mentioned Android USB modems would be good... any suggestions for a good one? Asking as I don't know anything about Android and honestly havn't ever seen an Android USB 4g dongle here in Denmark.
DS1513+ && DS214
drkaosdk
Beginner
Beginner

Postby drkaosdk » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Hey,

From Denmark aswell here.. I've invested in this 4G modem -> Huawei E-3372 - Works with the RT1900 .. Bought it from Telmore btw.

Since your article was posted long time ago - Maybe you already figured out with a working one.

Dintid wrote:Any modem options for outside of Asia?

I'm living in Denmark, and we have all kinds if Huwaii modems here, but the one I tested didn't register on either my RT1900 or my 1513 nas box.

Using an iPhone would also be nice as a sort of emergency for small office and home.

Someone mentioned Android USB modems would be good... any suggestions for a good one? Asking as I don't know anything about Android and honestly havn't ever seen an Android USB 4g dongle here in Denmark.
padgettj
Trainee
Trainee

Postby padgettj » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:44 pm

What about U.S. carrier support?

Right now I am on Verizon and have a need for a 4G fail over implementation. However, I will be moving within the next 6 months to a rural area that 4G is my only viable "high speed" option. Any chance that MiFi® 4G LTE Global USB Modem U620L will work with the 2600AC router? I understand this modem to be made by Novatel Wireless.

The number or supported devices / countries or lack there of is very disturbing....
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:11 pm

padgettj wrote:What about U.S. carrier support?

Right now I am on Verizon and have a need for a 4G fail over implementation. However, I will be moving within the next 6 months to a rural area that 4G is my only viable "high speed" option. Any chance that MiFi® 4G LTE Global USB Modem U620L will work with the 2600AC router? I understand this modem to be made by Novatel Wireless.

The number or supported devices / countries or lack there of is very disturbing....

It's a Taiwan company. Why is them not testing US specific things disturbing?
padgettj
Trainee
Trainee

Postby padgettj » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 pm

sincarne wrote: It's a Taiwan company. Why is them not testing US specific things disturbing?

Because the sale their products in the U.S.??? I am almost certain their U.S sales are as every bit as much if nor more then many other countries, It's typically bad business to spew a bunch of bells and whistles and then not be able to deliver.
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:23 pm

padgettj wrote:
sincarne wrote: It's a Taiwan company. Why is them not testing US specific things disturbing?

Because the sale their products in the U.S.??? I am almost certain their U.S sales are as every bit as much if nor more then many other countries, It's typically bad business to spew a bunch of bells and whistles and then not be able to deliver.

feature work fine with dual wired WAN

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”