HP Photosmart WiFi printer cannot join Synology Router WiFi

Discussion about the hardware compatibility of the Synology router.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
AlexRas
I'm New!
I'm New!

HP Photosmart WiFi printer cannot join Synology Router WiFi

Unread post by AlexRas » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi

I just recently bought a Synology Router RT2600ac. I have set up the router with the same WiFi settings, including SSID and WPA key, as my previous Linksys AC router. It all work fine and all my WiFi devices, including PC/Laptops, Tables, Phones, connect fine to the wireless network.

I have an HP Photosmart 5520 wireless printer that previously connects directly to my wireless network with SSID (WiFi name) and WPA key (Wireless preshared key).

After switching my router, my wireless printer will no longer connect to my wireless network. When the printer is looking for available wireless networks, it does not find my wireless network's SSID at all. The printer finds all other surrounding wireless networks, for example my phones wireless hotspot.

I have tried to change the WiFi settings in the Synology router and separate the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz networks from each other, but without success.

Is there anybody in here that has a suggestion for what I can try and what is possible is wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards

Alex

Willems Tech
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: HP Photosmart WiFi printer cannot join Synology Router WiFi

Unread post by Willems Tech » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:04 am

Reset the network settings on the printer and do the smart setup again.

Even if you name the SSID excatly the same deviced often fail to connect to the new WiFi router.
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

AlexRas
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by AlexRas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:58 am

Willems Tech wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:04 am
Reset the network settings on the printer and do the smart setup again.

Even if you name the SSID excatly the same deviced often fail to connect to the new WiFi router.
Thanks for your reply.

I have tried resetting the printer's wireless settings and start over, but without success.

When the printer is searching for the wireless network name (SSID), my wireless network does not appear on the list of WiFi networks.

It seems to be more like a compatibility issue where the printer does not support a WiFi protocol or setting.
Kind regards

Alex

Willems Tech
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Willems Tech » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Is this an older HP printer?

Some of them only connect to a WEP encrypted network (useless).

I have also had a similar problem where the SSID or special characters in the password were incompatible with the printer (only HP :oops: ...).

To research this I would create a test SSID and try with WEP and WPA
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”