Using Airport Extreme as extender...

Discussion about the hardware compatibility of the Synology router.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
dancurry
I'm New!
I'm New!

Using Airport Extreme as extender...

Unread post by dancurry » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Thinking about scrapping my two Airport Extreme house set-up for new Synology 2600 router as base station and AE as extender. My question is this:

When I set up the AE as extender, do i do it via the Airport Utility interface or Synology interface. And, once set up, does it show up in Synology interface?

regisadeglans
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Using Airport Extreme as extender...

Unread post by regisadeglans » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:04 pm

You have to configure using the AirPort Utility. Mine shows up in the list of connected devices within the Synology router.

trombo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by trombo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Was anyone able to setup an Airport Extreme as a proper extender so devices can "roam" between the 2600 and APE?

On synology website it says I just have to set the airport extreme to bridge mode and use same ssid and password and I should be able to roam. I have tried this multiple times but the APE show up as a different connection with the same name and devices never roam only connect to the 2600 unless I manually connect to the APE. When looking in the wifi settings I see two entries of the same name and I thought I would just see one entry and it would connect to best AP.

rmnelson
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rmnelson » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:41 pm

I've got a couple of Airport Extremes bridging my RT2600AC network to the house and guest apartment from the server closet in the garage, and it seems to work fine but took me a bit of time to figure out. One AE is an ac model and the other is a later n version but both setups worked the same.

I set up my RT2600AC and selected 2.5GHz/5GHz auto selection ON.

On both AE I selected Router Mode OFF (Bridge Mode). Selected Network Mode to "create a wireless network", and gave it a SSID different than the RT wifi uses. Apple appears not to allow using the same SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Then, under wireless options I checked 5GHz network name and used the same name as the RT wifi SSID. When I tried to use the same SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, the AE appended 5GHz to the SSID and disabled 5GHz when I tried to remove the append. So the AE is broadcasting 2 SSIDs but both have internet access and appear to smoothly switch between access points. The 2.4 GHz devices seem to have no trouble with this setup perhaps because none of them move around much, and the 5 GHz devices work seamlessly.

My only remaining issue is that I cannot extend the RT guest network with the AE because I use an unmanaged switch. Since I only use the guest network in the garage where the RT is it is not that big a deal. No, I don't force guests to go to the garage to get email; my only IOT device is in the garage and I didn't want it seeing the rest of the network. It also doesn't like to share a network with a DLNA server, so the 2.4GHz guest network was perfect.
RT2600AC
DS1815+
DS413
DS213j

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”