3G Dongle Drops WiFi

Discussion about the hardware compatibility of the Synology router.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

3G Dongle Drops WiFi

Postby benjibarnicals » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Hey all,

Quick q, I've got hold a Huawei E122 3G Dongle using a Three (3Three) UK 3g mobile provider. If I plug the dongle in the Router recognises it in SRM in Network Centre > Internet > 3G & 4G. And it connects to the Three network fine, however it drops the routers WiFi connection. If I reboot the router with the dongle in, the dongle (from what I can see on the dongles status LED's) connects but the routers WiFi just wont show and when it does show sporadically it wont allow any connections.

Removing the dongle and rebooting the router normal WiFi resumes and I can connect. I can see in the logs on the device that there are log entries of the router registering with synology's quickconnec dns service with the dongles IP address, whereas usually its my ISP.

So, is this normal? Is it because its not in the compatibility list (even though the router picks up the dongle and connects fine, until the WiFi drops).
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: 3G Dongle Drops WiFi

Postby wolfsec » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:44 am

You are not alone!

last year i tried to use 3g dongle K3765 (even tested 3 diffrent) and got this issue.

reported it and send them debug logs. No real answer from them...

so this week i bought a Huawei E398 and i still have same issue!

configured the dongle entered pin , connected it so far so good.

but then when i go back to the settings like the main internet tab the router hangs and looses full connection.

This is so frustrating! need a backup line when WAN is down and spend like over 200 euro on 3G/4G dongles and still nothing that works! i better spend this money on a new router that works with 3g dongles...

i submitted new support ticket and response was a joke :

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting our support,

I could see that your WiFi dongle was not part of our compatibility list.

Please refer to :

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/compatib ... ongles&p=1

But they are all on the list !!!

worst support ever!

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”