Using 4G modem as redundancy

Discussion about the hardware compatibility of the Synology router.
Forum rules
1) On 12/25, Synology Forums will be getting a new layout. During this time, content will still be accessible but you will be unable to make new threads and posts.

2) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

3) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Tommyhawk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Using 4G modem as redundancy

Postby Tommyhawk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi. I Just bought e-3372. My router says plug In a dongle. But it's all ready plugged in. I tried to restart the ac1900. And let it start up while it's plugged in
Tommy @ Århus

From Denmark aswell here.. I've invested in this 4G modem -> Huawei E-3372 - Works with the RT1900 .. Bought it from Telmore btw.

Since your article was posted long time ago - Maybe you already figured out with a working one.

Dintid wrote:Any modem options for outside of Asia?

I'm living in Denmark, and we have all kinds if Huwaii modems here, but the one I tested didn't register on either my RT1900 or my 1513 nas box.

Using an iPhone would also be nice as a sort of emergency for small office and home.

Someone mentioned Android USB modems would be good... any suggestions for a good one? Asking as I don't know anything about Android and honestly havn't ever seen an Android USB 4g dongle here in Denmark.
[/quote]
ptiq
Novice
Novice

Postby ptiq » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:02 pm

drkaosdk wrote:Hey,

From Denmark aswell here.. I've invested in this 4G modem -> Huawei E-3372 - Works with the RT1900 .. Bought it from Telmore btw.

Since your article was posted long time ago - Maybe you already figured out with a working one.

Can you confirm the e3372 because there is only the e3272 that appears compatible in the site Synology:

https://www.synology.com/compatibility? ... mode=false

Bye
Synology DS916+
DSM 6.1

Synology RT2600ac
tjoneillmo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tjoneillmo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:32 am

I too have a new RT2600ac and would like to use a Verizon MIFI 6620L wireless device as primary ISP--I do have a satellite dish but would like to disconnect if the wireless will work. I bought this router for the "bridge" mode as I would like to keep other wired devices on the existing router, and have the 15 wireless device connectivity of the 6620L.

I set it up as a wireless access point and it will not connect or find the wireless 6620L, and I can't access it from a browser. Any ideas to get it working? Reset? Will it work by simply plugging the 6620 into the USB port?
Thanks in advance.
Moan
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Moan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 pm

I've got RT2600ac with SRM 1.1.5-6542 and modem Huawei E3276 HiLink (E3276 is actually on the list of unsupported devices).
After I connected the dongle and selected "3G & 4G" in "Network Center" -> "Smart WAN" - internet works just fine. Earlier I changed the address of the HiLink modem to 192.168.222.1 to prevent IP conflicts. I also updated the modem firmware to the newest available version. Under "Control Panel" -> "Device" this modem is recognized as: "E353/E3131 - Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.".

For now everything works fine. Websites are fully loading (unlikely to the Asus RT68u which I tested earlier). I'm getting the full LTE speed at my location (I mean the same speed as I was getting with the old OpenWRT router) and this is max. 110Mb/s. At the moment it's ~70Mb/s for me, but I expect it to be higher at night hours. Speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/6666983627.png

If nothing bad happens, I think I can fully recommend the Synology routers for 3G/4G modems support. I only hope that 1.1.5-6542 problems (with disappearing 5Ghz network) will be fixes soon ( https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 5&t=135592 ). I really don't want to refund this router.
Vrocket
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Vrocket » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:46 pm

What's the best alternative for USA?

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”