EXTENAL HDD buy help for 2600 router

Discussion about the hardware compatibility of the Synology router.
Forum rules
1) On 12/25, Synology Forums will be getting a new layout. During this time, content will still be accessible but you will be unable to make new threads and posts.

2) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

3) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Johnmg
Trainee
Trainee

EXTENAL HDD buy help for 2600 router

Postby Johnmg » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:11 am

Hi,
I have 2 NAS all with WD Red drives. I am getting the 2600 Routet to replace my Apple Extreme TC AC router. I very much appreciate any thoughts on what Western Digital HDD I can use. I looked at the Compatability list and it only shows.......
I was about to ask a question and then I discovered how to interprute the Compatability List. It shows not what HDD you can use but what External case you can use. That would include all case + Hdd combo units like the Seagate Passport as an example. I prefer getting the HDD separate from the case. I don't like all the backup ware,etc. that they add to these units.
I settled for the Vantec Nexstar CX SuperSpeed NST310S3-BK case and a Westernal Digital HDD. I have used a Vantec case before and like it. In the compat. List it says these 2 models were tested with this case.....
WD40EZRX - WD Green 4.0TB
WD1003FZEX- WD Black 1.0TB
I am reading into this that a WD Green 2TB drive would also work. The Green drives are discontinued. I bet the WD Blue drives would work but don't quote me on that. I have both the 1TB WD Black 7200 drive (fast but uses more power) and I have the WD Green 2TB Drive, slow but very low on power. Since I am going to leave the HDD on all the time, I am going to try the Green drive. I have a NAS for Streaming video. Also the specs for the case says anything UP to 8TB will work. This case is discontinued. I bet what ever the replacement case is would work but I decided to by this case since it is on the Compat List.

John

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”