SD card vs USB 3.0 disk for rt2600

Discussion about the hardware compatibility of the Synology router.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
pgalgo
I'm New!
I'm New!

SD card vs USB 3.0 disk for rt2600

Postby pgalgo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:45 pm

I order a rt200ac synology router but I have some doubts about what to choose for storage
I don't need space because I already have a synology NAS. I just need performance, but if I choose usb 3.0 there was some wireless interferences and I need to use usb 2.o instead
or is better choose a fast sd card ?? 32 GB is enough or is better 64 GB since is just for install some apps and router operation ??
Thanks
UGOTSERVED
Beginner
Beginner

Re: SD card vs USB 3.0 disk for rt2600

Postby UGOTSERVED » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 am

pgalgo wrote:I order a rt200ac synology router but I have some doubts about what to choose for storage
I don't need space because I already have a synology NAS. I just need performance, but if I choose usb 3.0 there was some wireless interferences and I need to use usb 2.o instead
or is better choose a fast sd card ?? 32 GB is enough or is better 64 GB since is just for install some apps and router operation ??
Thanks

I'm running an SDHC card because I didn't want anything sticking out to get accidentally bumped. I've been running one for a little over a month and still see about 1.4GB of usage since I last checked. That one has a 32GB Class 10/U1 95 MB/s version in it with no issues. I'm running IPS on it and logging lots (also have a SYSLOG elsewhere) and haven't seen any errors or issues with it.
pgalgo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pgalgo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 pm

I already have the rt2600ac configured and working without IPS, because it don't start
I follow your tip and use a sd card similar to yours with 64GB formated as EXT4

the IPS don´t start and give the message :
Starting Service
Service will start in five minutes

After a long time waiting I stop the sensor and restart it again, but a message Operation Failed appear

What type of format do you have on your sd card (EXT4 or FAT32) ??
everything else is working
Thanks
ReefAviator
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ReefAviator » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 pm

I am using 64 GB and I left it FAT32. No problems at all with a months heavy use. The packages only use a small fraction of the space. 16 GB would be plenty. Spend money on speed rather than size.
UGOTSERVED
Beginner
Beginner

Postby UGOTSERVED » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:12 am

pgalgo wrote:I already have the rt2600ac configured and working without IPS, because it don't start
I follow your tip and use a sd card similar to yours with 64GB formated as EXT4

the IPS don´t start and give the message :
Starting Service
Service will start in five minutes

After a long time waiting I stop the sensor and restart it again, but a message Operation Failed appear

What type of format do you have on your sd card (EXT4 or FAT32) ??
everything else is working
Thanks

I've seen that 5 minute message when I was first testing but eventually worked. I used EXT4 and reformatted on the device. I'm at around 1.43GB usage and getting close to a couple of months.

Are you stopping/running from the Package Center?
pgalgo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pgalgo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:55 am

My first configuration was with EXT4 formated on devide but after da message of wait 5 minutes the service never start or give the operation failed error

Second config I reformat the sd card to FAT32 to see if makes any diference. Uninstall and install the Intrusion package again same results

If I go to Package Center and Stop the Intrusion package and run it again I have no error with this operation and the status of the package is running, but when I open the intrusion pervention package itself and go to overview I saw service stopped and when I click restart button i have the message starting service - The service will start in five minutes and then open a window with the message - Operation Failed

after that the overview show loading and never change until I go to sensor and choose the option stop sensor and apply button

I dont have erros in the log that could help indentify the problem

Thanks
itGeeks
Beginner
Beginner

Postby itGeeks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 pm

UGOTSERVED wrote:
pgalgo wrote:I order a rt200ac synology router but I have some doubts about what to choose for storage
Thanks

I'm running an SDHC card because I didn't want anything sticking out to get accidentally bumped. I've been running one for a little over a month and still see about 1.4GB of usage since I last checked. That one has a 32GB Class 10/U1 95 MB/s version in it with no issues. I'm running IPS on it and logging lots (also have a SYSLOG elsewhere) and haven't seen any errors or issues with it.

What is the make/model of the class 10 card your using? Also what is your internet speed both up/down?

Thanks
pgalgo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pgalgo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:03 pm

The sd card is sandisk extreme pro
The download / upload are 200 Mbps / 200 Mbps but the rt2600ac is connected to ISP router via ethernet gigabit port

To clarify the ISP router receive a fiber cable on the wan port
and my synology connect the wan port to a ethernet port of the ISP router and obtain a ip via DHCP
Every devices connect to my synology via wireless or via cable on the other 4 ethernet ports available

I hope that my explanation was clear

The solution is working 100%, the speedtest show me the correct speed that ISP is given me, and everything is fast with no issues or errors, the VPN is working, except the intrusion package that won't start

Thanks
itGeeks
Beginner
Beginner

Postby itGeeks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 pm

pgalgo wrote:The sd card is sandisk extreme pro
The download / upload are 200 Mbps / 200 Mbps but the rt2600ac is connected to ISP router via ethernet gigabit port

To clarify the ISP router receive a fiber cable on the wan port
and my synology connect the wan port to a ethernet port of the ISP router and obtain a ip via DHCP
Every devices connect to my synology via wireless or via cable on the other 4 ethernet ports available

I hope that my explanation was clear

The solution is working 100%, the speedtest show me the correct speed that ISP is given me, and everything is fast with no issues or errors, the VPN is working, except the intrusion package that won't start

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I thought you where running IPS with that card but I see your not. My concern is speed with IPS active.
pgalgo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pgalgo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:20 am

I decide open a ticket with synology support and they told me this has been identified as a known issue
They access remotely to my sistem and fix it manually. Other solution is to wait for the next version with the fix

After the synology support intervention, the intrusion package is working

Thanks to everyone

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”