Just purchased RT2600ac crawling compared to old Linksys Router especially with IPS

Topics pertaining to SRM usage, usability and management
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
MattfewUK
I'm New!
I'm New!

Just purchased RT2600ac crawling compared to old Linksys Router especially with IPS

Unread post by MattfewUK » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Hello

This is my first post so please bear with me if a similar question has been asked before.
I got my RT2600ac on Friday after reading many good reviews however I have extremely disappointed with its speed performance. I am pleased with the OS, but nothing else.

We live in the UK, have fibre service 350+Mbps, but get a constant 380-385Mbps

I have done several tests to highlight the speed problem as well as looking for any solutions.

I am replacing an ageing Linksys ACS1900 (with Linksys not DD-WRT software) and its speeds are far better then with my new RT2600ac

1. Fibre router (standard mode) to iMac - 382Mbps
2 Fibre router (router only mode) to iMac 382Mbps
3 Fibre router (router only mode) to Linksys ACS1900 to iMac - 382Mbps

4. Fibre router (router only mode) to Synology RT2600ac to iMac (standard setup) - 308Mbps
5 Fibre router (router only mode) to Synology RT2600ac to iMac (Intrusion Prevention) - 46Mbps[

I was expecting a hit of around a third of my brandwidth for using IPS but its more 83% of the total connection coming into the house.

Any ideas or suggestions to fix this or should I return to shop I purchased from as faulty!.

Many thanks
Matt

MattfewUK
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Just purchased RT2600ac crawling compared to old Linksys Router especially with IPS

Unread post by MattfewUK » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:33 pm

Update

I have tried using an SSD instead of USB3 Flash Drive - and it has made no difference at all to IPS!
To worth with only a 10% of the bandwidth we get and pay for coming into the house makes this router a joke unless there are any other suggestions others might have!

Thanks in advance
Matt

Babylonia
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Just purchased RT2600ac crawling compared to old Linksys Router especially with IPS

Unread post by Babylonia » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:13 pm

Last edited by Babylonia on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RT1900ac / DS213j / DS415+ / DS218+ (at different locations).

Connected
Student
Student

Unread post by Connected » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:45 pm

Matt, at Network Center > Status what do you see for CPU and Memory utilization with IPS running and a load on the router?
We live in a world of things that mostly sorta work.

MattfewUK
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by MattfewUK » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks Connected

Sorry for the late reply, home late last night and didn't use computer.
I've checked the CPU with IPS on and is between 22% and 93% but mainly over 70%+ most of the time.
Memory at a constant 59%

Are these normal stats?

382Mbps into the house, with IPS on now getting 56Mbps tonight so has gone up slightly from the weekend.
At the moment on using my computer, no other family devices are using the wifi and high CPU usage.

MattfewUK
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by MattfewUK » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks Babylonia

I've read your posts in the links provided.
The things you have said not to do are exactly the three reasons I bought the router.
I really like the router OS and the other things you can do to it. I'm not as techie as most on this forum but know more than Mr&Mrs average. The jury is out whether its a keeper or returner now especially after my reply to Connected as didn't realise it was using so much CPU and Memory just for one device being used whilst family out!!

Babylonia
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by Babylonia » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:29 am

MattfewUK wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:03 pm
after my reply to Connected as didn't realise it was using so much CPU and Memory just for one device being used whilst family out!!
Depends.
E.g. keep in mind if you have a running WiFi for both WiFi bands, and also maybe enabled WiFi as for guests??
Even if nobody is using it, it needs their power and taking their resources just to have running their radios.

See what happens to switch WiFi off, and not running services. in the background at all?
RT1900ac / DS213j / DS415+ / DS218+ (at different locations).

Return to “Installation and Configuration”