RT2600ac connecting to British Telecom - PPPoE connection error

Topics pertaining to SRM usage, usability and management
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
Taylorski
I'm New!
I'm New!

RT2600ac connecting to British Telecom - PPPoE connection error

Unread post by Taylorski » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Good morning. Is anyone else having difficultly setting up the RT2600ac to BT infinity broadband?

I've tried the BT and Synology help centres and not been able to bottom it out.

I've got BT infinity2 account which I think is a VDSL connection.

I've bought a new Billon 8800NL R2 modem, set in bridge mode, VDSL, VLAN 101 and not set up the wireless internet (I was going to do that with the RT2600ac)

The Billion is connected to the RT2600ac by the WAN ports.

BT tell me, I should connect the RT2600ac by PPPoE connection but when I try this it fails to connect.
I'm using usernames and passwords to login and notice that the RT2600ac autofills the password (but can't see what with), may be that's the problem but I don't know how to change the autofill entry.

Is anybody else struggling? I've got a very nice looking router here which can't connect to the internet at the moment.

If I'm posting in the wrong place, appologies but I've tried the help centres and had a good look online to see if others are struggling.

Regards

T

NigelL
Novice
Novice

Re: RT2600ac connecting to British Telecom - PPPoE connection error

Unread post by NigelL » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi Taylorski

I have seen a similar issue when using a password manager such as Lastpass. It can mistakenly auto-fill the incorrect details in the RT2600ac Internet settings page.

Do you have any failover setup? I had an issue where both the Primary and Secondary Interfaces had the "Set as default gateway" options set to Enabled. This prevented the Primary interface from recovering when the PPPoE link came back up.

Regards, Nigel

Taylorski
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Taylorski » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Nigel

Thanks for the response, I went and had a look at that. It didn't seem to do the trick. I enabled and disabled the secondary interface to see if it had any impact. I think its something to do with the BT password and username but there's not much info on it.

I haven't set up failover yet - I'm still trying to get it to make a PPPoE connection!

Cheers

T

rolandrat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by rolandrat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 pm

You say 'The Billion is connected to the RT2600ac by the WAN ports'

It should be LAN1 (or LAN2,3,4) on billion to WAN on Synology, not WAN on Billion to WAN on Synology.

Taylorski
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Taylorski » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:06 pm

RolandRat

Thanks for that, I definitely had the cable set up wrong, because they were the same colour (blue) and I couldn't read the writing on them I had the EWAN on the Billion connected to the WAN on the Synology, so thanks for helping with that.

It didn't do the trick on its own, so I went back over everything and discovered that deep down in the Billon's menus there was a menu for setting the WAN settings - its in Conifgurations-WAN-WAN Service and is titled ATM interface and PTM interface. I realised that Vlan setting should have been 101 but wasn't. I changed Vlan8021p setting from -1 to 0, which then let me change the Vlan to 101 and I'm finally connected to the internet.
I had no problems making a PPPoE connection after that and the Billion/Synology combo have doubled my download speed - a good start.

Any way thanks to you and Nigel for taking the time to reply. There's not much out there about connecting the Billion and Synology to BT Broadband.

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers
T

Return to “Installation and Configuration”