RT2600AC - Getting DHCP-IP from ISP problems with new firmware

Topics pertaining to SRM usage, usability and management
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your Synology model.
The_Skippy
Trainee
Trainee

RT2600AC - Getting DHCP-IP from ISP problems with new firmware

Postby The_Skippy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Running the new code version: 1.1.5-6542-4 (which is suppose to fix this issue).

My router is still failing to get a DHCP IP from my ISP (after a reboot) when the interface is set to auto. It takes hours of reboots to get the thing working. A factory reset does not necessarily work.

I submitted a ticket but zero response from support.
linuxfan
Rookie
Rookie

Re: RT2600AC - Getting DHCP-IP from ISP problems with new firmware

Postby linuxfan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:30 am

The_Skippy wrote:Running the new code version: 1.1.5-6542-4 (which is suppose to fix this issue).

My router is still failing to get a DHCP IP from my ISP (after a reboot) when the interface is set to auto. It takes hours of reboots to get the thing working. A factory reset does not necessarily work.

I submitted a ticket but zero response from support.

Does your ISP provide VOIP and/or IPTV? My ISP in Singapore is SINGTEL and they do provided VOIP & IPTV through their Fibre Broadband. Even though I don't have IPTV in my internet connection, I still need choose "Singtel" and "VOIP/IPTV" profile from drop down to successfully connect to internet and get WAN IP from ISP.

My RT2600AC was purchased in Singapore and I can see in drop down, customized settings for all ISPs in Singapore and Malaysia. You could probably check this in your router ... if this doesn't help, may be log a ticket to Synology Support to see if they can help resolve your issue.
Trainee

Postby The_Skippy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:47 am

I guess I will need to give that a try. Thanks for the idea. How did you know to try this?

When you set the IPTV does it change the functions of the ports on the router? My ISP offers IPTV but they're not listed in the router's drop down.
linuxfan
Rookie
Rookie

Postby linuxfan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:42 am

The_Skippy wrote:I guess I will need to give that a try. Thanks for the idea. How did you know to try this?

When you set the IPTV does it change the functions of the ports on the router? My ISP offers IPTV but they're not listed in the router's drop down.

When I first set it up, I struggled for 4+ hours ... several hard resets and experiments later, I discovered the drop down options and tried one by one and it worked :)

Due to the ISP option chosen, Lan Ports 1-3 works for default 192.168.x.x range and the Port 4 shows as IPTV. Didn't really connect any device on Port 4 to check if it gives normal 192.168.x.x connection or shows a default VLAN IP in 10.x.x.x range.

For my ISP, VOIP and IPTV are via VLAN with address 10.x.x.x.

Hope this helps.
Trainee

Postby The_Skippy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 pm

synology support never responded to my tickets.

I worked with the ISP support staff for hours. The IPTV settings had no affect. At one point (when running off of the secondary WAN port) the ISP saw the MAC addresses of everything on my network (I've seen other people on this forum complain about the same thing happening to them) which is a terrible security issue. I hope synology looks into that.

At some point, we did a factory reset of the router and I still was not able to reliably get a DHCP address from the ISP.

Finally the ISP told me to return the synology and get another brand.
Babylonia
Ace
Ace

Postby Babylonia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 pm

My ISP is not listed at all within the drop down menu, but is was very easy to have a manual set-up.
What you need are the VLAN settings as used by the ISP + PPPoE (or automatically). You can ask your ISP.

Two examples (do read the complete messages).
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 07#p503207
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 92#p488792

Seeing MAC addresses of everything in your network, at least you have a working connection. :wink:
But also that can be avoided by proper set-up. For examples of how to set firewall e.g. see:
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 29#p452529

Very typical usage: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 578#p47957
The_Skippy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The_Skippy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:42 pm

I think you miss understood. I worked with the ISP they are not using VID's on their network for the IPTV. We did a factory reset on the routers.
MAC address should Not be picked up through the firewall.
I tried both a 1900ac and a 2600ac both failed to get DHCP addresses. Both were running the update 4 which was suppose to fix exactly that problem. I am convinced it a synology software problem.
Babylonia
Ace
Ace

Postby Babylonia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:22 am

Simply explained, there are just two possibilities.
- Just using one internet sub-net for the WAN connection
- More than one sub-net "transported" by different VLANS for the WAN connection

Both can be used. Just a matter of settings.

But.... depending to the local laws within countries and the habit of "protectionism" by ISP's,
they might include algorithms (e.g. MAC based filters), that other routers besides their own are not "allowed".
By "spoofing" (copy / past MAC-address) maybe it could work afterwards.
The_Skippy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The_Skippy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:59 pm

I was working with the ISP. They confirmed they are not using VID for the internet or IPTV traffic. They do not require any ISP centric settings, whatsoever.

We did a factory resets on a RT1900ac and a RT2600ac. Setting them to auto failed to reliably get a DHCP address. That should just Work. There is no excuse for synology. More emphatically because update 4 was suppose to fix exactly this issue.

Testing with a TPlink and linksys routers I had no problems.
Babylonia
Ace
Ace

Postby Babylonia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:55 pm

The_Skippy wrote:We did a factory resets on a RT1900ac and a RT2600ac. Setting them to auto failed to reliably get a DHCP address. That should just Work.

Depends. If the ISP modem or connection is giving a local LAN IP range, if it is in the same range as that of the Synology, it is in conflict.
In that case you have to set a different LAN IP sub-net range for the Synology router first.
In other cases you can also make your settings manually (even IP address).

Can you can give more details of your ISP used connection settings?
The_Skippy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The_Skippy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:05 pm

ISP does not require any special settings other than Auto/DHCP

They do not issue an internal IP
Babylonia
Ace
Ace

Postby Babylonia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:11 pm

Without detailed information no luck for help. Sorry.
The_Skippy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The_Skippy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:13 pm

thank you for your efforts. I think this is a problem with synology code. hopefully they fix
Babylonia
Ace
Ace

Postby Babylonia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Also Synology absolutely do need more details to fix it.
Which website is your ISP. (So I can search for details myself).
The_Skippy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The_Skippy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Return to “Installation and Configuration”